The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Tillik

Heater Core Hose Routing

I just swapped my 2 core for a 4 core radiator. While routing the lines i noticed my new radiator has a pipe for a heater core line. My truck is plumbed like the manual transmission setup in the picture. It is a 3 on the Tree Manual Transmission.

Can I plug the waterpump and use the Automatic V8 setup? Or do I need to plug the radiator pipe and leave the routing as it is now. It would look cleaner if I plugged the waterpump. My assumption is it would work either way but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!
Attached Images

Tillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Heater Core Hose Routing

You can use either return circuit. Going back to the pump helps the engine warm up quicker IIRC.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Tillik

Ya i'm trying to fix a getting hot issue. On our hot days my engine can get up to 215 at idle. The only thing I get to figure out now is to find a 4 core 2wd radiator shroud =p. I've got this checker special single electric fan kicking around but am hesitating on installing it. Thx for the help.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: Heater Core Hose Routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillik View Post
Ya i'm trying to fix a getting hot issue. On our hot days my engine can get up to 215 at idle. The only thing I get to figure out now is to find a 4 core 2wd radiator shroud =p. I've got this checker special single electric fan kicking around but am hesitating on installing it. Thx for the help.
Shrouds, no doubt, do help with idle temps. Sometimes, a quicker fix is to (1) replace fan with 1 or more extra blades as compared to your present fan, or(2)changing to a solid mount fan if your present one is hydraulically/thermally controlled, or(3)both 1 & 2 combined. If blades are too far from radiator, use a spacer to bring them to proper proximity.

May be noisier, but will at least buy some time until you find a suitable shroud, is very quick & simple to change, and should not be wasted effort/expense(exc. maybe for the spacer) for when you do find the shroud. Also, keep in mind that in today's operations, 215 at idle is not considered 'bad', but should cool down quickly as you speed up engine RPM.
HTH,
Sam

Last edited by luvbowties; 08-11-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added info; ditto
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Tillik

The swap went well. Had to drill out the base radiator support rivets. The replacement 4 core went in easy. I flushed the system and drained the water. Then 2 gallons of 50/50 to finish it off.

While i'm moving the truck runs really cool. After a good freeway drive at Idle it got to 185-190. Which is a significant improvement. I'm on the hunt for a local radiator shroud now. A few more phone calls, then ill just post a WTB Ad somewhere and see if I can get a good deal.