The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
vht

aNOTHER CAB CORNER ?

On the cab corners you buy, do they wrap around to inside the dr lip? In other words, how far do they extend in the front toward the dr. These that were spot welded in mine are cut off 1/2 in or so before they reach the dr opening. I can't find a good pic so I can tell.
vht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Niteshade

Re: aNOTHER CAB CORNER ?

The way I suggest you do this is to cut away only the rusted metal, ensuring you get to where there is rust free metal. Then place you replacement cab corner over the hole, then from the inside trace the outline of the hole on the replacement corner. Now cut the cab corner out and you have a piece that is the same shape as the hole. Tack weld in place, moving around the hole so as to not create too much heat in one place.
Posted via Mobile Device
Niteshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
vht

I know how to put them in, I wasn't to clear on my question. My cab already had them installed. They lapped them over and spotted them. I'm going to redo them and was planning on buying new, but I was trying to determine if these were cut off on the front or if that was the way the are when new. If so, I would just redo these. Couldn't really tell but Brother's looks like they don't extend into the dr opening. I put a set on a 70 chev cab several yrs ago and they lapped over into the dr opening. May try to fix these, they're not spotted in that well.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Bubba54

The cab corners I installed wrap into the door opening. Mine are on a 54 gmc, and I got them from classic parts.

Shawn
Old 08-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Bubba54

vht, If you check my build thread, there is a clear shot of the passenger side cab corner.

Shawn
Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
vht

Thanks Bubba54, they do wrap around in the front. Why in the world he would cut that off I don't know. I'll pick up 2 new one's. Thanks everybody, and a nice build Bubba.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
RedneckRodder

I bought mine from Brother's, they DO wrap into the door frame. If you look at the forward most point of the original cab corner, inside the door jamb, that is where the new cab corners Brother's sells stop. Can't speak for any other companies, but many people will tell you these replacement panels are all stamped by the same place and sold to other companies to market as their own.
Posted via Mobile Device
RedneckRodder is offline   Reply With Quote