The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Anti-Ricer

durable rattle can spray paint

well my friend came over and picked up my 65 Chevy today
.he is installing 3.73 and posi unit plus fixing some odds and ends.while he has my truck I'm going to get ready to paint my steelies rims red. my question is which spray paint should I use? I want something real durable, that doesn't fade or start rusting a mounth after the paint is applied. they are Rustoleum, Nason, ppg, DuPont and many many more. then they are clear coat with protects the paint but I can't use because im going to rattle can them. and what about primer? should I use a etch primer or a regular primer or no primer. basically all I need to know is which rattle can paint should I use on my rims that's going to stand up to wear and tear and be reliable for at least months? Here is the red im wanting to go with.it's like a satin red imo which would suit my truck perfectly

Here's the rims ill be painting red
Questions) should I take a scuff pad to them like a red or gray one or sand paper like 400 to them.then use precleano to the rim.mask the rim off then should I A. Primer the rim. B. Use etch primer. C. primer the whole rim. D. Paint the rims

You already seen the color I want. in your honest opinion which type of paint should I use ( rattle can paint only)
And how many coats should I put down?
My last question where can I get some chrome center caps? I'm thinking about doing the rims red with a small chrome center. if I could get a Center cap with a skull or that chopper cross that West Coast Choppers use would be badass. If someone could post a link up It would be greatly appreciated .
Posted via Mobile Device
Anti-Ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: durable rattle can spray paint

The highest quality spray paint I have found is Martin Senour called TECnique. I buy mine at the local Napa store. I don’t know all the colors it may be offered in since I’ve only used Gloss Black and Iron Cast Gray. The spokes on my mag wheels are painted with it. Most black spray paints turn dark gray over time. This stuff retains the original color indefinitely from what I’ve experienced. It comes with an upgrade fan spray nozzle so it goes on nice.

Here’s a photo of #7239 Gloss Black:

If you have the wheels sandblasted or stripped to bare metal, epoxy primer is most preferred. However if you want something in a spray can U-Pol Acid #8 comes in a spray can and works very well on bare metal.

Here’s a pic of Acid #8. It’s available from most local auto paint stores:

Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
pdxhall

If you want to use an epoxy primer in a rattle can Eastwood Co. has it. It's a 2 part that has a button on the bottom of the can that is pushed when you're ready to use is that releases the activator and it mixes in the can. It's kind of spendy ($20) but works great if you don't have access to spray equipment. I've used it a couple of times for small projects.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Techunique is nice paint but often hard to find state-to-state. NAPA/GPC has changing rules on rattle cans, and has changed what they carry many places.

Truthfully, prep and technique has much more to do with durablility than the actual paint. Napa has a VERY cheap rattle can called ColorLine. Its a touch thinner than "premium" brands, but I buy it because the satin black is a perfect match for the black powdercoating and most stock black engine bay paints.

There tends to be a thought that prep for rattle can is different than prep for a "full" paint job, but it really isn't. Big things like degreasing the parts (especially tricky with things like control arms if you aren't trying to fully remove the ball joints etc).
Acid etch is good stuff but be VERY careful, its NOT for many uses and needs to be used carefully.

I find epoxy primer offeres the toughest most durable base....and I'd even suggest that if its an option, a REAL catalyzed epoxy primer will really make a difference.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
BUGMAN II

I would try this
like has already been stated prep is everything. when I paint wheels I strip all the way back to metal with a wirewheel and small wire brush.
Attached Images

BUGMAN II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
spacedebris

When I painted my wheels on my travel trailer, I used "Hammerite". Its not a smooth finish (although I think you can get it in smooth) but I rather liked the hammered finish it gave. Damn durable stuff.

Amazon.com : Red Hammered Spray Paint : Automotive Amazon.com : Red Hammered Spray Paint : Automotive
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
J.Cagle

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

Duplicolor 500 degree engine enamel. Use one can per wheel.Make sure to prep and clean them good before spraying. This stuff is really tough stuff!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
VonDog

I used "Dupli-Color High Performance Wheel Coating" on my 60 4x4. Been on for 3 months and no chipping etc. Like J Cagle said prep is the key - make sure the surface is clean and grease free.
VonDog is offline   Reply With Quote