The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Looks like it's a "build"...1972 Stepside.

I still don't think of this as a "build" since I'm mainly just getting the thing (properly) ready to be driven again but it's really getting involved....so why not document it on here? Maybe it'll motivate someone.

My truck started it's life being assembled in Flint, MI and my dad bought it off a new car lot in his small town on the spot in 1972, after haggling, for $2350 dollars and adding that to the house loan so he could pay cash. He drove it for years to and from his nearby coal mine job but has always complained of it's TOTAL inability to "go in the snow." He used it as a daily driver and family work truck and it has been involved in some really cool jobs.

He had it bondo'ed and repainted the original color in 1991 and I drove it in high school and some in college. It has the original 250 inline, 4:11 posi-traction, and 3 on the column manual. For a long time I wanted to change those but anymore, nah.....I might go to a 3:73 rear end but keep the posi trac just to get better gas mileage.

The truck sat in dad's garage for 10 years but he got it back on the road for me when I was working out of state. It didn't seem to run right though and I parked it for 7 more years in my garage....last June I was talking to my dad about his old cars and decided to get busy.

So far I have removed the gas tank for refurbishing (may get a new tank anyway), blown out all the fuel and vent lines with compressed air, removed all fuel and vent hoses, and now I am working on the drum brakes as they were frozen. I hope to finish those this week and then replace all the frame to cab bushings and put in a new radiator, thermostat, and water pump. The carb will be rebuilt, brakes bleed, all belts and rubber replaced, all new tires, and put on those awesome OEM bumper guards I bought off a guy on here.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps59b76aeb.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6c220cbe.jpg
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Looks like it's a "build"...1972 Stepside.

Here are some more pics of the truck and some things I've gotten done.

Dad had the tailgate painted in 2003, I don't think the white rectangle is original style but it does look good.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4d7d1ba7.jpg

I replaced the tail lights and chains in 2004 from LMC....these parts seem OK at least!

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2c28260d.jpg

Here is the drum I tore down last weekend....I hope to put in new springs tomorrow and get it back together.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...psd062ad92.jpg

Here is a side to front view....until I get her mobile I won't be able to get better pics. My garage is on a very steep and short hill!

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/...ps314d50ef.jpg
Old 08-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
Ghostryder79

To give a heads up...you can imbed the Image in the thread by copying the IMG Code from photobucket.

Ghostryder79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Thanks man.....I guess you guys really like pics! I'll try harder!

I picked up my drum brake spring kits (no strut springs in there, yuck!) and I got it back together only to realize I put those cupped retaining spring washers in backwards! Oh geeze....oh well....I'll remember next time! Will fix it tomorrow and do the passenger side.

It wasn't that hard overall and it's pretty neat to see progress on the truck....pics coming.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Hardesty454

Nice truck. any pics on that brake job?

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Hardesty454,

Here you go! After several tries, including getting hit in the eye (thank God no damage!) with a rogue spring, I got the brakes back together....but now the drums won't go on!!!!

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 08-14-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Hardesty454,
I got the brakes back together, but now the drums won't go on!!!!
You probably just need to shorten the self adjuster at the bottom because from the looks of it currently it's a bit long.
If that doesnt work then you will need to release the bleed screw on the wheel cylinder and press the shoes in.
After you get it back together and bleed the air out they will self adjust all you have to do is back up 10 feet and stomp the brakes a couple times.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-14-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

After I took this pic I ran the self adjuster all the way in....

Bleed the brakes? Ah ha! I hadn't thought about that....and apparently others haven't either. I plan to bleed the brakes next week anyway.....you think that might allow the shoes to close on up?

A few others have suggested my removing the struts but they may not know that the vehicle has sat 7 years in a garage.

Thanks bro.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 08-14-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #9
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
After I took this pic I ran the self adjuster all the way in....
I plan to bleed the brakes next week anyway.....you think that might allow the shoes to close on up?
Yeah man open the cylinder bleed valve and press in on both sides of the shoes simultaniously and it will compress the cylinder.
If the cylinders won't compress then they are rust welded and you will need to replace them.
One more thing was there a spring washer sandwiched inbetween the parking brake lever and the auto adjust lever, if not you need to check the size and run down to Ace hardware and get one because it is critical for proper operation of the brake system.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-14-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote