The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
Lil Ape

question about putting in a distributor and timing on a sb

When I put my distributor in after I installed my new manifold. I did it by setting the #1 piston to tdc and set the harmonic balancer to 0 degrees on the timing tab. Then I dropped the distributor in with the rotor pointing at #1 cylinder. Then started up the truck and took my timing gun and set the timing to 15 degrees advance. My question is when I set the harmonic balancer to 0 degrees on the timing tab, did I do it right or should I have set the balancer a few degrees advaned first, then drop the distributor in? Is thats whats called initial timing? Im still learning on how to set timing
Posted via Mobile Device
Lil Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
Jabes1

Re: question about putting in a distributor and timing on a sb

You're fine. It started and you adjusted the timing. You can drop the distributor in at 10 or 15 degrees advanced with the rotor pointing at number one and essentially set it that way. You can verify with a timing light.
Jabes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
midgainc

I had a carb rebuilder tell me the other day that you are wasting time trying to adjust off of an inaccurate timing tab bolted to the timing chain cover. his advice was to put a vac guage on the intake and adjust the timing for the highest vacuum, which should be in the 17-19 in range. I have not tried it, but i will when i start mine soon. it makes sense. the engine will produce the highest vacuum when it is happiest.
midgainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgainc View Post
I had a carb rebuilder tell me the other day that you are wasting time trying to adjust off of an inaccurate timing tab bolted to the timing chain cover. his advice was to put a vac guage on the intake and adjust the timing for the highest vacuum, which should be in the 17-19 in range. I have not tried it, but i will when i start mine soon. it makes sense. the engine will produce the highest vacuum when it is happiest.
And if you set it like that you'll burn a hole in the piston's when it detonates.
Use a good dial back timing light.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Jabes1

Agreed... also adjusting your carb properly at idle will can raise vaccum.
Jabes1 is offline   Reply With Quote