The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
JOJABOY

Brake light switch

I have a question about the brake light switch mounted to the brake pedal assembly. I see the Orange and White wires coming out of the back of it. My question is.....

When the button is depressed, does the switch complete the circuit on the ground side?

If I am correct, does the orange wire go to ground and the white to stop lamps?

I have the wiring diagrams but seem to not be able to follow it with the wires going into the switch assembly.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Brake light switch

It's a NC switch. The orange wire comes from the fuse and the white wire goes to the turn signal switch.

All power side switched.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Switch is open when brake pedal is not depressed and button is pushed in.
Closed when pedal depressed and button is out.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
cdowns

the ground for the stop lights is the case of the light bulb to the socket to socket holder to bed to frame to battery
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
JOJABOY

Hmmmm..... So it's on the positive side. Was just curious. I am gathering all the parts and pieces for my OD trans and lock up kit. The TCI lock up kit unlocks when accelerating (vacuum switch) and unlocks when down shifting. However, I want it to also unlock as soon as I apply brakes also.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #6
JOJABOY

So when brakes are not depressed....the pedal is up and therefore pushing the button on the brake switch keeping the 12v power from reaching the lights. And when you hit your brakes the pedal goes down releasing the button and therefore applying power to the brake lights. Right???

The following came from the TCI kit instructions:
Option 3 is for those who desire immediate release of the TCC when braking. For
this, you'll need an OEM brake pedal switch with a normally closed circuit. Run
your switched 12-volt source through the brake switch and then to the red wire
on the TCIŽ external harness.

How can I accomplish this?
Old 08-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Bigdav160

I don't know where the red wire on the TCI kit goes.

Two ways I know to accomplish what you want are to install a dual switch. I think the GM N body switch fits and one set of contacts are NO and the other NC. You should be able to find a part number if you search this site.

Otherwise you could use the OE brake switch to trigger a relay that would cut power to the TCC solenoid when the brake pedal is depressed.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
JOJABOY

The red wire is 12v swithed. A dual switch (one NO and the other NC) would work. The idea is the 12v (red) wire applies power to the 4th gear solenoid. It locks the torque converter when in 4th gear.

A vacuum switch allows the power to the 4th gear solenoid when there is 8-10 feet of vacuum. The vacuum switch unlocks the torque converter via solenoid when accelerating (drop in vacuum). The solenoid unlocks the torque converter when the transmission down shifts.

By placing a Normally Closed (NC) switch in line of the 12v power (red wire), it will allow the capability of braking then accelerating. The torque converter will instantly unlock.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

The brake light switch circuit is closed with the switch released. If you push the button on the switch it opens the circuit and the brake lights go off.

"The idea is the 12v (red) wire applies power to the 4th gear solenoid. It locks the torque converter when in 4th gear."

Maybe I don't fully understand but if the above statement is true, the brake light switch will do the opposite action of what you need. When you push down on the brake you want the solenoid to unlock with power not lock, true?
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
The brake light switch circuit is closed with the switch released. If you push the button on the switch it opens the circuit and the brake lights go off.

"The idea is the 12v (red) wire applies power to the 4th gear solenoid. It locks the torque converter when in 4th gear."

Maybe I don't fully understand but if the above statement is true, the brake light switch will do the opposite action of what you need. When you push down on the brake you want the solenoid to unlock with power not lock, true?
You are tracking correctly. I think I need a switch that does both. One circuit that is open when depressed and one circuit that is closed when the button is depressed.
Name:  brake switch.JPG
Views: 784
Size:  13.8 KB
The brake lights would run through to Normally Closed side and will get power and light up when brakes pressed (button released).
The red 12v switched wire would run through the Normally Open side and the lock up kit (4th gear solenoid) would have power except when brakes pressed (button released)