The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2003, 11:30 PM   #1
Bernie

Balls

I'm changing from an automatic to a 4 speed on a k20 with a 350. I now have the correct Z bar (Thanks Ernie ) and I bought all the balls etc from LMC. My problem is this: the LMC picture doesn't show any sort of nylon seat for where the ball that screws into the block fits into the Z bar and yet the ball goes inside the bar and feels pretty loose. Is this how it should be ? Do I need a bushing or a bigger ball ?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:22 AM   #2
Class of 69

There are felt washers that go on the balls and fit into the pipe. It helps hold it better, but it is really to retain the grease in side the tube. The tube should have a grease fitting in it. After all is assembled, fill the tube with grease, and it will be quite smooth and firm.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:45 AM   #3
Bernie

I tried that, but it still seems too loose. There is a beveled edge on the inside of the Z bar that seems intended to fit around the ball on the block. This has about 1/8 of play in it. Did they make different size balls ?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:33 AM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Bernie,

I measured the ball that was on a 72 350 2wd and the OD is .857-.860. The wear on the ball appears to be minimal, but I am not sure of the original dimension. It fits very nicely into the z-bar with minimal play. Movement is just discernable.

It sounds like you have way too much play in your setup!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 12:05 PM   #5
Bernie

Thanks both for your replies. I did some measuring. The ball from LMC is around 0.870 diameter. The internal diameter of the tube of the Z bar is 0.002 or 0.003 more than that. Does the ball go right inside the tube, so that the grease would take up the difference, or should it ride on the chamfered end of the tube ?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:19 PM   #6
bpmcgee

Bernie,

The ball slides all the way up the tube. When everything is in place, the tube will be just about touching the block -- down to the flange on the ball stud.

I just recently used the LMC ball stud on my 71 4x4, and had no problems at all. There's nothing on the block end of the z-bar except the ball stud. The felt and everything only goes on the frame end of the z-bar. If you want to convince yourself of this, notice that the flange is as big around as the ball. Therefore, you can't put anything on from that end that will fit AROUND the ball. My buddies '76, on the other hand, DOES have felt and stuff on that end, and there is a much smaller flange at the bottom of the stud.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
Bernie

Thanks to all. I have it resolved. Bernie