The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
thepunisher

Compressor Input

I am going to upgrade my compressor. I currently have a Sanborn 60 Gal single stage bought from a regional hardware chain called Menards. It has served me well but I need a two stage. I have narrowed the field to two compressors but would like to solicit some feedback. Essentially the issue is cost, both long and short term.

Tractor supply sells this Ingersoll. Here is a link to this compressor on Ingersoll's own site.

Tractor supply will deliver this to the store for free since it is a normally stocked item, and I can get 10% off. So with tax and the discount it's about $1060. Obviously I would buy the startup kit and then another service kit in a year to get the full two year warrant. I could also get tractor supplies four year warranty for another $200 (most likely not though).

The other choice is this quincy. This would be $1,475 because I need lift gate service.

What I'm hoping is that some one with some knowledge of the Ingersoll can give some input. I am aware that the Ingersoll doesn't use the Baldor motor and that the pump is made in India or something. The Quincy is holy grail of compressors but is it worth the $400? And if so what specifically is the problem with the Ingersoll. There are a fair amount of old posts on the internet that talk about how Ingersoll has become equal with al qaeda. The problem that I have is that people use the anonymity of the internet to over state things. All manufactured things break, it happens.

What I want is a compressor that my girls will have to decide what to do with. This is how I foresee the conversation going.

Madyson "What are we going to do with Dad's old compressor, that things like 40 years old?"
Payton "He did love that compressor."
Madyson "Yes he did, remember the smile on his face when he put it in the garage?"
Payton "Yep, can you believe that it still runs like it did when when he bought it!"

Apparently I die when I'm 80. Anyway, looking forward to your input.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Compressor Input

if there are any large national type swapmeets coming up in your area soon i'd wait and go see if there are sales // i know i've seen TP tools have great prices on show sales down here every year
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
russgoodman

You already know my answer

When I was shopping I had mine narrowed down to the IR and the Quincy. Check out your local Lowes as mine had the same IR as TSC but the cfm #s were higher. I have no idea the difference in the 2 of them, but I took lots of pics of pump/motor tags, labels etc at Lowes and then TSC and they were identical except for the cfm ratings - same price, looked identical, had the same model # except the TSC one had TSC prefix I think.

I liked that the IR was cheaper and was in stock at Lowes and TSC in my area, and I could have driven home with it.

I liked the Quincy because - too many blown pressure switch/pump/motor stories on the internet for the IR - 5 year vs 2 yr warranty if using mfg servicing directions - 50000 hr pump life vs 15000 - made in USA - comes with the drain extension so its easy to crack the valve on the bottom - lots and lots of positive feedback from other owners - blue will look better than tan in my son's shop 50 years from now lol.
Attached Images

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
68c10airstream

Hi blayne, i've had a ingersoll rand t-30 with a baldor 5hp motor since 1992 (new then). I still remember my research is this, v-twin design with a finned loop between each bank, the compressor crankshaft needs to spin less than 1,000 rpm's for long life, (this usually coincides with cast iron construction), a balanced flywheel (noticeable drill impressions on flywheel outer rim area), use a magnetic starter, use synthetic factory lube and don't look back. I paid $1900 in 1992 and the last time i checked on the exact model i believe it was in the $3,000 range. Now i think this is obviously more than some out there but it's the old saying "you get what you pay for". I stayed away from the fast spinning aluminum compressors as a couple bodymen friends wore them out in a couple of years back then. All i have ever done to mine is change lube and air filters, thats it, not a single problem. 500lbs of american quality. in 1992 i considered quincy, champion, saylor beal, etc. Good luck, Brian Fuller (originally from austin minnesota)
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Blayne, I went through the exact same scenario not too long ago with the same IR compressor and the Quincy (QT-54) you posted in the link. I even priced the IR at TSC and Lowe's like you. I ended up getting the Quincy locally at an industrial supply house for $1400 out the door with taxes. Like russgoodman said, the quality is outstanding and the paint is very nice - its just a quality, well built machine. It's also pretty quiet too, and that V4 pump puts out some serious air. I run air cutoff tools, grinders, my plasma cutter, and the Quincy always keeps up.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
thepunisher

Thanks for the input gentleman. This weekend is the Back to the 50's car show at the Minnesota fair grounds. One of the vendors is a compressor sales company so I think I am going to give cdowns idea a shot and see if they sell Quincy. The 5 year warranty is what's got me sold. It's more up front but I just haven't seen anyone regret having bought a Quincy compressor.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #7
OhioChevy

I bought a Eaton compressor which is built by the Eaton Company in Ohio. Five HP motor and 80 gallon tank. Best move I have ever made.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
Cape Codder

The best way to extend compressor life besides changing oil is clean air filters. They need a good supply of fresh air. If you put the air intake outside the filter stays clean longer and it will be a lot quieter. Just remember to change the filter often
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
truckdude239

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68c10airstream View Post
Hi blayne, i've had a ingersoll rand t-30 with a baldor 5hp motor since 1992 (new then). I still remember my research is this, v-twin design with a finned loop between each bank, the compressor crankshaft needs to spin less than 1,000 rpm's for long life, (this usually coincides with cast iron construction), a balanced flywheel (noticeable drill impressions on flywheel outer rim area), use a magnetic starter, use synthetic factory lube and don't look back. I paid $1900 in 1992 and the last time i checked on the exact model i believe it was in the $3,000 range. Now i think this is obviously more than some out there but it's the old saying "you get what you pay for". I stayed away from the fast spinning aluminum compressors as a couple bodymen friends wore them out in a couple of years back then. All i have ever done to mine is change lube and air filters, thats it, not a single problem. 500lbs of american quality. in 1992 i considered quincy, champion, saylor beal, etc. Good luck, Brian Fuller (originally from austin minnesota)
I have 60 gallon ir with the 30t 2-stage compressor with a baldor 5 hp compressor at work and it was used when we bought it Nd it still runs strong we run it everyday 10 hourz a daily no issuses
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
MailManX2

I have a Quincy QT-7.5. Great compressor and I never run out of air..
Why buy something when you can build it for twice the price..

Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done...
MailManX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
JointTech

i got a used champion for under a grand and it looked pretty new. it was about 2400 new.

But I was ready to pull the trigger on the Quincey when I found the champion on CL. That quincey looks really nice. From all the research I did IR is pretty much crap now unless you get the big stuff. Their prosumer grade isnt impressive and you might as well get a husky or kobalt and save some money.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
strokerPop

So I'm also in the market for a good compressor. I found this thread very helpful. I set my sites on the same Quincy compressor and after some internet research found the same model on E-Bay with a Buy it Now price for $749.66 and with free shipping. (probably will need to pay for lift service)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quincy-2V41C...-/221265182287

What am I missing?? How come so cheap? This thread listed it at $1475.00 ??

Input??

Last edited by strokerPop; 08-07-2013 at 10:39 PM.
strokerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
JointTech

strange. that looks like a killer deal. i wonder if its stolen? i'd jump all over that. I wonder why there are 8 watchers and nobody has yet.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
thepunisher

I don't think that it is legit, it's 50% off. I shopped compressors for a long time before I purchased mine and the prices on the Quincy's don't vary. The factory must set the retail price because they are so consistent. If you do it, pay with a credit card so you have a way to dispute the charges if it doesn't show up.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
russgoodman

Blayne, what did you end up with? Agree on the ebay auction, that is way too cheap!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
thepunisher

I ended up with a compressor from a local company called Castair (I live in Rochester MN and the company is up near Minneapolis). For my money I got a lot of features that are in much more expensive compressors. The pump on this is based off of a Saylor-Beall design. Fully rebuild-able with roller bearings, etc. The pump spins about 750 RPM so it's really slow. It's almost whisper quite compared to my last one. So much more air too, my tools work awesome now. With freight, local delivery and tax I paid ~$1600 for an 80 gallon, two stage 5HP compressor and 1" solid vibration pads. I talked to the local service guy and he says he has one and it will outlive him. That's what I wanted to hear.

http://www.castair.net/

First one of us unloading it, I'm the goof in the funny hat on the left in the back.

This is the best one I had, just before sliding it into place.

It's wired up and working but still on the pallet. I bought the vibration pads with it so I can bolt it to the floor. I need a lot more people to lift this, it's just shy of 600 pounds and brutally top heavy. I'm thinking I might be able to use the engine hoist to lift it but do not want to scratch the paint.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
franken

I've got an 80 gal Saylor-Beall and it's not bolted to the floor, nor has it moved since I put it in it's spot. Not enough vibration to make it walk around.

I see 2 pics above with pipe going up and down and one or both has drain valves at each low spot where water will be trapped.

Why not make the long runs horizontal, and feed air in from the top? Tilt all of the horizontal pipes slightly so water has to run in one direction.

That way water has to run back to the tank, or toward your water separator. Maybe it's by design to trap the water so a separator isn't needed...

My setup is 2 20' lengths of 3/4" pipe up high with about another 5' drop and 5' horizontal. I can add another 50' easily.

The filter, regulator, separator are all connected by a union so they can be popped off as an assembly. The rest also uses unions so it can be broken down. It was built on the ground, set on the pipe straps, and the unions connected.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
mark 66

I had to lift my new compressor too. I found the easiest thing for me was to use some good rope looped thru the underneath side of mount plate for motor. just lifted it with my engine lift.worked perfect.oh yea, nice compressor
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote