The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
charlieatthedisco

Oil Pan Gasket

Whats everyone's recommendation for an oil pan gasket for a 1978 350? I heard that the one piece is the best, maybe like this? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...02296&pt=02296

I also heard that you should dab some sealant on the four corners, which one would you recommend?

One last thing, for the timing cover gasket would this one do?
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...=73441_0_8036_

as always, thanks in advance
charlie
charlieatthedisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: Oil Pan Gasket

Yes, both of those will work well for your 350, and both will be available at most parts stores.
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
charlieatthedisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Yes, both of those will work well for your 350, and both will be available at most parts stores.
Thanks for the reply, what kind of sealer should I use as well?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
79Betty

Rtv black silicone will do just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
1985 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe C10
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
charlieatthedisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79Betty View Post
Rtv black silicone will do just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I went to tear it all down today. Got the fan/waterpump/even took the power steering unit out which I wanted to replace with ease. Timing cover came off easy as well so did the balancer. The oil pan was rough, but it came out. Now I purchased both of the gaskets as I posted the links and the felpro oil pan gasket has the bottom seal portion for the timing cover so I do not need to put the one that the timing cover came with right? just the paper timing cover gasket? it was a terrible fit with both of those on there but I just want to make sure Im not doing something wrong. Thanks
Old 08-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
INSIDIOUS '86

Just the paper gasket. Make sure to check the pickup to pan clearance with those thicker one piece gaskets and adjust as necessary
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
charlieatthedisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
Just the paper gasket. Make sure to check the pickup to pan clearance with those thicker one piece gaskets and adjust as necessary
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the reply. How would I make adjustments? The thicker gasket is much harder to get on I noticed. Will the thickness prevent more leaks? Also what i noticed on this gasket is it has two holes on both sides for the dipstick but it is only on one side of the oil pan not both and this creates a gap in the gasket. Thought that was kinda weird
Old 08-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Jabes1

The only adjustment you could possibly make would be to angle the pickup off the oil pump downward. The one piece gasket you have is awesome. I've been running the same one on my truck for 10years with different pans. As long as you are using the correct pickup designed for the oil pan you are using, the difference in thickness of the gasket will have minimal effects on oil pump scavenging. You don't need silicone with this gasket, I've never used it and my pans have never leaked. The gasket should have come with blue guides you screw into the block. Screw them in, slide the gasket up and it holds them in place... next the pan. Start your bolts torque from the center out. The gasket has torque limiters integrated into it so you don't mess anything up.
Jabes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
charlieatthedisco

Awesome! I figured I was doing it all wrong. Do you happen to know what the recommended torque is for the oil pan bolts? Thanks for the help a constant problem I am having is keeping grease from under the truck to stop getting on the gasket
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
charlieatthedisco

One more questions, does the sleeve and seal to repair the worn crankshaft go into the timing cover hole that the shaft comes through?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
Jabes1

The pan gasket doesn't have to be super tight.... Torque it to P.F.S. (Pretty freakin snug) from the center out. Basically, just tight enough that it no longer compresses.

As far as the sleeve you are talking about... not quite sure what you are talking about. They make a sleeve that slides onto the harmonic balancer that keeps it from leaking out of the seal on the timing cover. If your balancer has a groove worn into it, you might want to question if that balancer is actually dampening like its supposed to. I had a stock balancer that was pretty worn and it actually slid onto the crank without any force... needless to say I replaced it. Pioneer Powerforce harmonic balancers are affordable quality units, check them out....
Jabes1 is offline   Reply With Quote