The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
dubie

Installing door seals

What's th best thing to use or adhesive on the door seals? We are going to be installing them on our 56 today
Posted via Mobile Device

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: Installing door seals

Door seals aftermarket have small plastic clips but after a few times they pull out. If you have them also use a good adhesive like 3M makes. This is the black version for T-Tops very strong:

http://www.3m.com/product/informatio...-Adhesive.html
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Rude Dude

Also on brothers truck parts in the tech section they have pictures on install correct way for seals the pics are black and white but good info.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
NEWFISHER

+1 3M black weatherstrip adhesive
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

The doors on my 57 have holes every four inches for the plastic pins on the seals. I didn't put any adhesive on the seals as I think the pins are enough. No problems as of yet with the seals coming off.
You have heard this before: Put the seal on with the flap out. Don't put them on backwards.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
OrrieG

Denee's thread in the build section has a discussion and pics on the installation. Don't forget the metal strip across the bottom.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Denee007

Hi! Just got back from vacation! I think vacations are a little over rated! I'm beat and superhappy to be home~ As Judy Garland said~"There's no place like home!"

Tim, I know you've probably installed your stripping already, but I felt compelled so write something~

I don't know how to find my thread on installing my weather strip!

However, when using the black 3m weatherstrip adhesive, it's a contact cement. So, you put some on one surface, then some on the rubber and let it set for a little bit until it's "dry", but when you go to put the two surfaces together, make sure you have the rubber where you want it!!! Once stuck, it's stuck!

I didn't use the the 3m all the way around, just around all the curves and along the entire bottom of the door. Plus when pushing the little plastic things in, some of em between the door and jam are kind of a pain to push in due to clearance.

Have a great day!
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
dubie

Thanks for the helpful write up lady.

Yes we already have them installed. We removed the doors to ease the frustrations of trying to snap the few inside tabs in. My wife tackled this job and it turned out great. She used adhesive in the spots that wanted to move and on either side of the tabs, just to make sure if they do pop out, the rubber isn't going to move very far. We let it sit over night and re hung the doors yesterday morning.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
.... I didn't put any adhesive on the seals as I think the pins are enough. No problems as of yet with the seals coming off.
Hmmm...you have me thinking. I bought the 3M stuff but haven't installed my new seals yet because I haven't finished the weld repair/paint - just another thing to add to the list of things I'm jumping around between on my truck

How long have the seals been on Russ? Have you examined them closely to see if the pins are starting to pull out etc? I ask because I know my paint is (long term) temporary. I planned on having to cut them off and r eplace them whenever I do final "real" paint. But if I don't HAVE TO, I'll just install them with the pins alone.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Denee007

Tim, your wife sounds incredible~ nice to read that she gets out there~

Hey Dan! I don't think the pins would pull out of the metal/door, if anything, the pins pull out of the rubber. Also, around the curves of the door, say around the door latch where there are some curves, the pins alone I don't think would work very well. You'll see when you go to install. Especially around the bottom of the door where it makes the 90 degree turns really needs the 3m. But if your weatherstripping is going to be temporary, I don't think I'd install the weatherstripping at all. It'd be kind of noisy and rattley, but I'd hate for you to destroy a perfectly good set of weatherstripping Seems like I read in one of my manuals it shows where they put the 3m, but common sense applies where to put it.

Also at the bottom of the door in the middle is where I cut and spliced with super glue as the weatherstripping is too long.
Another note, I ordered two long metal strips that are held in by metal screws, I suppose to protect the bottom weatherstripping. But I didn't use them.

I've got to get something done today!
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
dubie

She's pretty darn incredible alright. She's an industrial mechanic apprentice so wrenching on a little bit of everything is what she does for a living

Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Daze57

^ very cool
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Denee,
My long term temporary might be up to 5 years so I've gotta put those seals in. The rattling drives me crazy! I bought those stainless metal retainers for the door seals at the bottom of the doors - I planned on installing them since I have them already.

Recently I bought the Altman/Trique bearclaw door latches but they're also in the "gotta do" pile. I've been on vacation and the garage has been so hot that I've not really wanted to spend too much time on it since I can't get my truck out right now anyway - big Lance camper has it blocked in. Thanks for the heads up on the pins likely being the weak point. I agree and I probably WILL use the 3M, then when I replace them the final time I'll buy the Steele Rubber Products ones - everyone raves about their products anyway.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
focusedontheprize

Tim -

This is my project in a few weeks. I tried to put them on with the doors on and I am not happy the way they turned out. It is unfortunate because the gaps on my truck are beautiful (doors have never been off), but they need to be put on right (the seals) so they are coming off.

Glad to hear yours are looking good.

J
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
dubie

i made sure to mark all of the bolt and hinge locations before I removed anything. Just a few reference marks with a marker will save you some major headaches

Old 08-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Hmmm...you have me thinking. I bought the 3M stuff but haven't installed my new seals yet because I haven't finished the weld repair/paint - just another thing to add to the list of things I'm jumping around between on my truck

How long have the seals been on Russ? Have you examined them closely to see if the pins are starting to pull out etc? I ask because I know my paint is (long term) temporary. I planned on having to cut them off and r eplace them whenever I do final "real" paint. But if I don't HAVE TO, I'll just install them with the pins alone.
Checked the date, it was almost exactly one year ago that I put the seals on. The seals are still tight exactly like they were when I installed them. I do remember now that I used hot glue on the corners and a couple of other spots to hold them tight to the flange on the door. I did it right after I painted my doors so they were not on the truck. The plastic pins must be pushed completely in to hold the seal properly.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote