The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #26
HEAVY CHEVY
BOWTIE FOREVER

OK here goes,OneMpg get yourself a cobra 29 classic from a local pawn shop or truckstop.Now if you can listen on a friends radio around a truckstop you can buy one cheap and pretty new.
Then get 18 feet of coax and a steel whip antenna(wilson 2,000 or just steel).I WOULD NOT run any other antenna with a good radio.
The fiberglass ones have a tendacy to crack at the base where you cannot tell.On the coax do NOT coil the coax where you are going to hide the excess weave the extra.
I drive one of the rigs up and down the highway all the time.I run a GALAXY 33 with 18 feet of coax and a wilson 2,000 antenna.My radio deadkeys around 14 watts but I put out around 10-15 miles on a good day.
I agree with krue listen before you talk.All I ask PLEASE don't use profanity.
65 IMPALA 2-DR
283/POWERGLIDE
66 IMPALA 2-DR
hopefully 283/350

~ CAMELTOE ROCKS ~
HEAVY CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:52 PM   #27
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
All I ask PLEASE don't use profanity
Thank you for mentioning that. My Dad drives a truck and my Mom rides with him sometimes and he has to turn the CB off because of all the profanity.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 04:51 AM   #28
dinnut

so... anybody seen the movie joyride
Old 11-30-2003, 06:05 PM   #29
dtlilly
Account Suspended

CB choice

I'd like to put my 2 cents in now. I'm using Don's computer and I noticed this conversation. I'm a professional truck driver and recently discovered what the best combos are. Here is what everyone else is doing:

A Galaxy 99v with swing kit and either a K40 steel whip antenna or a Monkey made coil antenna. Some prefer 2 antennas.

A General Lee or General Washington CB with same antennas as above. A touch more power than the Galaxy. No one can tell the difference and this CB is cheaper. But you don't get the frequency counter. Add a separate Galaxy frequency counter only if you want it for 35$.

A doctored up Cobra 29. The old timers favorite. What you do is get the Cobra 29 or 29 nightwatch then you install other parts to customize. The fanciest ones have swapped in a Connex circut board, and Galaxy 99 finals. You can get a brand new Cobra 29 night watch for about 125$. Galaxy finals about 50$. They great thing about this is you can decide how much money you will put into it and you still get to use the thing in between modifications.

These combos are sufficient to do everything you need and people will notice that you are not using an amatuer's toy.

From here you can get a linear CB amplifier and be a show off.
There is a kit called a "stinger" which is a small 80-100 watt linear that conceals inside any of the above CB. It is probably the most power that you will ever need. There are bigger ones made but you will just get yourself into trouble.

And most important dont forget to have your antenna tuned with a meter for optimum performance the cost for this is about 6$ at truck stop CB shop. They technician has to come out to your vehicle and plug the meter into your coax and then he will correct your installation and trim your antenna stinger/whip (different than the "stinger" linear amp)if necessary. If you dont do this you will over heat your finals and burn them up no matter what kind of CB you have.

http://www.wholesalecbradio.com/index.htm

WDBohannon
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:22 AM   #30
68CST327

Quote:
Originally posted by dinnut
so... anybody seen the movie joyride
I was thinking about that movie while I was reading this thread. Seems like everybody else hated that movie, but I really liked it.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:25 AM   #31
Hooter
My other Love

I had a cb for a while, then I switched to VHF and I love it, My friends all got VHF and most companies in our area come in on it too. The clarity is awsome as so is the range. I have a Motorola GM300 with radio phone, handy to have when 4x4ing but a bit on the expensive side. I never really got CB lingo and people are assholes on there

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:26 AM   #32
Hooter
My other Love

anybody have the software and the plug to program vhf's?

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote