The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Acksman

1966 C10 sitting for 20yrs time to do something - New to board

This was my very first car/truck that was given to me by my Dad. It was my grandfathers. I fixed it up the best I could in high school working at a body shop and engine repair shop learning the tricks of the trade. I had a wreck my senior year which bent the frame and left front fender was totaled. Over the next year, I found a replacement frame and my body shop boss repainted it for me. I had started working on the interior and pulled all the wiring etc out. Then I got married...

Since then it has set most of the years in a garage. I had a few bad years where I had to keep it outside which kills me now that happened.

Now its time for me to either fix her up or find a good home for her. Its amazing how much resources are out there now compared to 20 years ago. I have been able to locate online just about everything I need except for some of the factory AC dash parts. I have not bought anything yet, just trying to get a gut check on how much all of this is going to cost me. I'm willing to put in 10k no problem. I will have to start thinking hard above that.

The engine is a 327 with 202 Fuelie heads. I bought the heads off a guy that needed the cash for $100 back in the 80's. The engine and heads were totally rebuilt and have less than 100 miles on them, no telling if it still runs though. I put a Turbo 350 transmission in it as well.

My challenges, I have no tools at all. I do have a 3 car garage where I can allocate 2 bays for the rebuild. I would like to do a off frame restoration. Some of the things scare me like wiring harness and all the factory AC stuff.

The truck has some sentimental attachment of course. One of the reasons I have kept it all these years. It looks like I have come to the right place for knowledge and hopefully some guidance if I am over my head on this or not. Looking forward to getting to know everyone if I decide to move forward and the journey it will bring.

Now for the pictures!

Oh boy

Extra NOS parts and swap meet boxed stuff I finally got out tagged and bagged.

Acksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Rusty Wrenches

Re: 1966 C10 sitting for 20yrs time to do something - New to board

Hand tools are cheap and just about go the distance for everything you'll need to get that beast on the road! That thing deserves to be finished up and there's a lot of help on these pages to get ya there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rusty Wrenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Wow- sharp truck and great history.
A couple of questions- why do you want to do a frame-off? Looks like a solid truck- why not get it running, clean it up, do a few mods and then enjoy it? Wiring harness etc are all available as plug/play.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
TxRat

Rather than keep the truck off the road for another couple of years and run the risk of losing interest in it and letting it sit again. Plug away and get it on the road and drive it for a while..
TxRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
corvettejim1968

awesome truck while you have the grille off take advantage of this oportunity and paint the center part satin black so it is factory correct. i just did mine a few days ago and it looks some much more detailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acksman View Post
This was my very first car/truck that was given to me by my Dad. It was my grandfathers. I fixed it up the best I could in high school working at a body shop and engine repair shop learning the tricks of the trade. I had a wreck my senior year which bent the frame and left front fender was totaled. Over the next year, I found a replacement frame and my body shop boss repainted it for me. I had started working on the interior and pulled all the wiring etc out. Then I got married...

Since then it has set most of the years in a garage. I had a few bad years where I had to keep it outside which kills me now that happened.

Now its time for me to either fix her up or find a good home for her. Its amazing how much resources are out there now compared to 20 years ago. I have been able to locate online just about everything I need except for some of the factory AC dash parts. I have not bought anything yet, just trying to get a gut check on how much all of this is going to cost me. I'm willing to put in 10k no problem. I will have to start thinking hard above that.

The engine is a 327 with 202 Fuelie heads. I bought the heads off a guy that needed the cash for $100 back in the 80's. The engine and heads were totally rebuilt and have less than 100 miles on them, no telling if it still runs though. I put a Turbo 350 transmission in it as well.

My challenges, I have no tools at all. I do have a 3 car garage where I can allocate 2 bays for the rebuild. I would like to do a off frame restoration. Some of the things scare me like wiring harness and all the factory AC stuff.

The truck has some sentimental attachment of course. One of the reasons I have kept it all these years. It looks like I have come to the right place for knowledge and hopefully some guidance if I am over my head on this or not. Looking forward to getting to know everyone if I decide to move forward and the journey it will bring.

Now for the pictures!

Oh boy

Extra NOS parts and swap meet boxed stuff I finally got out tagged and bagged.

https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Thats a great idea ..... I have TOO many in limbo as well ...

First off, welcome to the board.

Everyone here is super cool, and if you cant find the answer/help here, it doesn't exist !

Nice truck, and good luck !!

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
Truck Guy99

That thing is sweet! First, get it going. Focus on the guts before the skin. Get the motor running, get the transmission serviced and working like it should. Then focus on brakes. I can't stress this enough. Focus on safety and reliability first. What I mean is maybe you should replace those brake shoes before you get that cool new cowl hood. As for interior, just get a good, used seat for it temporarily while you finish the rest so you can drive it as you work on it. Judging by what you told us, I don't think your ready for a frame off. Wiring is a different story. A lot of stuff is now plug and play. Same with the interior. All if it's bolt-in stuff. Simple hand tool work. I would buff it up, work on the guts, and love it. That's a sweet truck, so keep us updated!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Absolutely safety first ....
Posted via Mobile Device

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Sounds to me like you have a good budget and a really solid starting point for a vehicle.
You should be able to get this truck on the road, safely, in short order and with minimal investment.

Just curious - what is the deal with the fuel filler door half way along the drivers side box? I haven't seen one there before.
Greg,
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
rcbildr

That truck looks way too nice to tear it all apart again. IMHO Get it running and driving safely and enjoy it for a little while....it's been sitting so long, waiting to be road worthy.

X2 on checking out the brakes....had a really scary experience with my 60 GMC because it sat for a very long time.
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
C-10cutty

That's a nice truck.
C-10cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Acksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg63 View Post
Sounds to me like you have a good budget and a really solid starting point for a vehicle.
You should be able to get this truck on the road, safely, in short order and with minimal investment.

Just curious - what is the deal with the fuel filler door half way along the drivers side box? I haven't seen one there before.
Greg,
You saw that. In the body shop we added those fuel doors on both sides from a Ford duel fuel system. I have two tanks just below that on both sides that I had ordered from some company a long time ago. I think I will be buying one of the rear tank conversions as it looks a bit safer. Just have to figure out what to do with those doors.

Also thanks for everyone's advice on just get it running again and not tear it down and start from scratch. My anal self wants it done perfectly, but I know that will take a year or two and I am afraid I would be in the middle and not have it done.

So my top priority:
Get the engine and tranny checked (should i pull them and have them rebuilt or have it towed to a garage and checked) Not sure which will be more cost effective.

It really needs the wiring harness replaced. I am searching where to find one that has the Factory AC included.

Gas tank repaired or moved to rear tank

Replace steering column

Brakes!

Last edited by Acksman; 05-29-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

http://www.wiringharness.com/
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
Budman56

Quote:
You saw that. In the body shop we added those fuel doors on both sides from a Ford duel fuel system. I have two tanks just below that on both sides that I had ordered from some company a long time ago. I think I will be buying one of the rear tank conversions as it looks a bit safer. Just have to figure out what to do with those doors.

Also thanks for everyone's advice on just get it running again and not tear it down and start from scratch. My anal self wants it done perfectly, but I know that will take a year or two and I am afraid I would be in the middle and not have it done.

So my top priority:
Get the engine and tranny checked (should i pull them and have them rebuilt or have it towed to a garage and checked) Not sure which will be more cost effective.

It really needs the wiring harness replaced. I am searching where to find one that has the Factory AC included.

Gas tank repaired or moved to rear tank

Replace steering column

Brakes!
First off welcome and thats a *****en truck, Now for the build, I learned the hard way I started my truck before I got involved with this group, so your already ahead of the game by asking questions, and dont be afraid to ask lots of questions. My truck cost me a lot of money that now in hind site I didnt need to spend. You can find just about anything you want for your truck both here in the parts section and craigslist. I would suggest getting to know craigslist like its your best friend, there is a app for your phone thats called craigslist pro and its free, try it out this is what I used to find parts and whole trucks to fix up my truck. it will auto search for the closest citys around you then all you have to put into the search is example (65 chevy truck) it will pull up everthing listed in the citys around you. enough said on that subject, as far as doing a frame off, I would seriously consider not doing it right away, as is will slow you done and cost you way more the 10k. your truck looks like its ready to fire up and start driving it, I would start there with all the safety items first, brakes, signals, things like that, then as far as the motor I wouldnt pull it out, if it has been sitting for 10yrs or so pull all the plugs and squirt some oil in all the cyclenders then let it set. I would also pull the distributor and prime the motor with a drill and screw driver bit, thats assuming that you have oil in the motor, just to be safe I would change the oil anyway before I primed it. after that give it a tune up and try to fire it up. see where it goes from there if it fires and runs leave it alone get it back on the road then and only then when you are driving it purchase some tools (craigslist) then pick an item and freshen it up. try to keep it going it very easy to loose interest and I have seen lots of guy get started then just give the whole project up. so thats my two cents. have fun!!!!!!! ohh as far as the ac system they are hard to find but if you look all the time you will find one, and they can be very expensive...

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #15
Acksman

DPowers thanks for the link thats helps! If I don't have to make the wiring harness that will help.

Budman you rock for the craigslist app suggestion. Also appreciate the recommendations. I wish it was just ready to start up! I pulled so much crap out of the cab I am kicking myself now. It will need the wiring done before I can even attempt to start. I will probably go ahead and squirt some oil in the cylinders to let them start sitting. I have already spent hours on this site just looking at all the truck pron
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #16
Budman56

Quote:
DPowers thanks for the link thats helps! If I don't have to make the wiring harness that will help.

Budman you rock for the craigslist app suggestion. Also appreciate the recommendations. I wish it was just ready to start up! I pulled so much crap out of the cab I am kicking myself now. It will need the wiring done before I can even attempt to start. I will probably go ahead and squirt some oil in the cylinders to let them start sitting. I have already spent hours on this site just looking at all the truck pron
thats where I get all my good ideals is just sitting and standing for hours just looking at it. my wife says that I am a nut but thats what is take to figure things out and kinda get the look I am going for in my head before I ever pick up a tool or purchase a part. But then again thats what got me into trouble in the first place I had too much time to think about the way I wanted it and now two years later I still haven't driven it or even fired the new motor. so I know what you mean. thats why I suggested the things I did to you. by the way you don't need the wiring to fire the motor all you need is 12 volts to the distributor then you can fire it up and listen to it purrrrrrrrrrrrrr that will be the best motivator of all is to hear it run. the factory wiring kits are pretty pricey but will save you a lot of guess work and its plug and play. the wiring I used was M&H from brother trucks. if you get the stock wiring its about $600 for the whole truck, I started with a look alike painless, took it out of the box and seen how much work it was and put it right back and took it back and traded it for the M&H I didn't regret it for a minute, it took me maybe a couple of hours to install the whole truck wiring with the M&H.http://www.wiringharness.com/PDFS/TR...hevy_Truck.pdf here is the link to there web site and you can order what ever options you want for the truck like passenger side alt or driver side, hei distributor, or stock points. they are the best wiring as far as I am concerned but there may be others I just didn't use them. like I said just have fun and stay focus it is easy to loose track and get carried away.

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #17
66 C10 383

I wish I could get my truck to the level yours is in NOW. That is a seriously nice looking truck.

Did you happen to see what was sitting in your neighbors driveway in the very first pic? I bet he'd be willing to lend a hand in your truck ...

As everyone else said, upgrade the safety items such as brakes and electrical, add in some power steering and enjoy that truck.

Another option on the wiring is the American Autowire Classic Update Series Wiring Kit. If you're not 100% set on original wiring, this kit lets you update everything and it includes new switches and stuff. If can be bought cheaper on either ebay, Summit, or several vendors here on the forum. If wiring intimidates you, there instruction manual is available online and you can look thru it. They break it down into sub-catagories so it's very easy to understand.

http://www.americanautowire.com/view...evrolet-truck/

Here is all the individual sections of their installation manual

http://www.americanautowire.com/kit-...d=any&show=100
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
D_Lawson

I am going to chime in with my $.02 here. I have completed two true 'frame off' restorations and it is not for the faint of heart. In fact for most it becomes misery and as others have stated they are sold long before completion.

With both of my resto's (a 1968 K20 with my father in the early 90's and a 1969 Camaro SS by myself finished 2004) they were sold within two years of finishing them. The 68 was my fathers and he said it was too nice to use much (he could not really afford to park it and drive another at the time) and my Camaro was sold because I had invested money that I really did not have extra at the time in it. Both of these reasons will force a sale if you do finish it and the reason I have held onto my 69 C10 until I had disposable funding for it.

Also frame offs will almost always bring less money than the parts cost to build them, not to mention labor. Therefore it is a complete labor of love. Below is a digital picture took to list my Camaro on Ebay in 2000 before I had finished it because of finances, it did not bring enough (about half of what I had invested!) and was garaged again shortly after this photo until 2003 after deployments. As reference, I had a complete professionally rebuilt drive-train and all the body panels were complete and painted at this point, but still I had over ten in it when the picture was taken.

Ten grand is a great start and you do have a better truck than I have as a foundation, but I have learned that all candidates will need just about everything in a frame off because as builders we get carried away with the build. With that I would factor in five to ten more over the build unless you are extremely disciplined with it. I am figuring 15-30,000 and approx. three years working off and on for me depending on the drive-train I go with.

I hope this post helps some and you are definitely receiving really good advice here already. However, if you have the funds, time, local connections (i.e. body shop, media blasting, machine shop, etc.), REALLY love the truck, and are a perfectionist then a total build may be the way to go. Either way you have a super nice truck and good luck!
D_Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #19
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Where in the Dallas area are you? Im in South Fort Worth. I agree with the guys here, if you spend the time and get her running and driving safely, you can enjoy her as you think and save for other upgrades/enhancements. Then you take her down for a weekend or a week, complete that task and your on to enjoying her. You will stick with it if you dont get overwhelmed. take these guys advice, they ( and I ) have been there and ended up doing things twice or three times before we got it right. Its all part of learning and sharing your knowledge. Good luck and let me know if there is something I can do for you.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
Low Elco

Several great threads on here for this kinda deal, here's a great start, with AC stuff-

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

Lots of really cool work, on the super cheap tip.

Cool ol truck, spend a weekend on the brakes (they're easy), oil prime the motor and light that sucker off!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #21
D_Lawson

My apologies for posting a picture here, just thought it would help give a reference to the OP. Good luck Acksman with the build, however you choose to do it.
D_Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Truck Guy99

What happened to this build?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #23
Acksman

I'm still around. I moved my build updates to the project forum. I have not updated in a while, but taking a ton of pictures and working mainly in the cab right. I have ripped out all the dash wiring and have most of it back in. I am also redoing the gauge cluster and adding a tach. I will try and get pictures on there soon.

Here is the thread,

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587745