The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
OrrieG

Use of cell phone pics to find you and your truck

This just came across my desk relating to bad guys tracking down you and your kids by using the geo-tracking info impeded in cell phone photos. Got me thinking, if they can find my kids, then they can find my car and shop. I must have saw this somewhere else because I already had the geotracking stuff turned off on mine. Also I don't talk about trips I am going to take online, never know who might be watching and put 2 and 2 together.

http://kyeos.wordpress.com/2013/05/1...ur-cell-phone/
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Use of cell phone pics to find you and your truck

Yup, you're right. I used to be on a Porsche forum and posted a photo of my car in front of my house. No address showing. A forum member recognized the approximate area and drove over one day. He was harmless but it always bugged me. I also felt/feel it violated some sort of unwritten code. Like being a mini stalker.

Now? EFF it. I'm not living in fear because of others. It's my hobby, I'll enjoy it as I please.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Russell Ashley

As the old song goes, "There's no place to hide". It seems that we don't know who is checking on us any more. I got a letter from my insurance company recently that said if I would buy a tracking device for my car that will let them know how much I drive, where I go, how fast I drove, and how often I drive my car I would be eligible for a discount on my insurance. The letter said that new vehicles that have On-Star have this capability already. I don't have anything to hide but that seems to be a little to much information for me to give away. Kind of spooky in a way.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Zach B

Yeah thats one of the advantages of living out in the sticks. It is only 15 miles to the nearest town from where I am but it's far from the cities where you really have to worry about it. In my area these trucks are still used as farm trucks and are seen with little to no value. I still dont have mine in an easy to find spot but I know many people who never worry about it. Good thing fewer people know how to drive a standard in this country because if more did know how to do it theft on these older trucks would be a lot higher.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
meter swinger

I have had the location settings turned off on my phone for awhile. I am probably a little a paranoid, but i work for the govt. and I don't trust them or the general populace with any details about myself.
I post lots of pics of vehicles on Facebook, but never any of my family. Recently someone asked me why I never post pics of my kids or family. I tried to explain it to them but I think most people just live in a bubble.
Posted via Mobile Device
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
JR25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Yup, you're right. I used to be on a Porsche forum and posted a photo of my car in front of my house. No address showing. A forum member recognized the approximate area and drove over one day. He was harmless but it always bugged me. I also felt/feel it violated some sort of unwritten code. Like being a mini stalker.

Now? EFF it. I'm not living in fear because of others. It's my hobby, I'll enjoy it as I please.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree!! I do PROHIBIT my wife from talking about where we are on facebook, she can always post where we HAVE BEEN once we get home!
On the other hand, you have seen some of my dogs in my pics, and I have a Mastiff that lives inside, plus 5 sons that are all proficient with firearms (still working with the 4 yo on this one) so if someone is brave enough....... come try it!
Living in the sticks does have its advantages!
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR25 View Post
On the other hand, you have seen some of my dogs in my pics, and I have a Mastiff that lives inside
+1 on the dogs! Here is a picture of my old security system. Sadly both have passed on and have been replaced with the newer smaller system.

sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
JR25

Oops...... Sorry NSA, I forgot to say hello on my last post, thats how I always start emails and phone calls! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
JR25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
lowrodderchev

I had a girl stop at my house months ago ask if her friend and her could take a pic next to my car I said sure no harm week later my wife seen it n Facebook pretty pissed i had told her what happen that day but the girls quote had another story lol
lowrodderchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR25 View Post
I agree!! I do PROHIBIT my wife from talking about where we are on facebook, she can always post where we HAVE BEEN once we get home!

Posted via Mobile Device
Always good advice no matter what medium you use to communicate. No one needs to know you are gone until they learn you are already back.

I live 2 miles out of town and 400 ft off the highway and have enough vehicles in the yard that it's damned hard for anyone trying to watch the place to tell who is gone when.

i don't have a smart phone and take all of my photos with one of two cameras I have so that takes care of that.

As tempting as it is we probably shouldn't post photos of our trucks in front of our own houses unless we live in one of those communities where all of the houses look alike and you get lost going home yourself. There are plenty of public places like parks or nice looking buildings to take photos in front of that don't indicate where you live.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
blue 72 gmc 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrlnts View Post
+1 on the dogs! Here is a picture of my old security system. Sadly both have passed on and have been replaced with the newer smaller system.

Zeus, Apollo patrol!
1969 Chevy C/30 Bruiser
1972 GMC (Wrecked)
1972 GMC pickup..old blue

Restored Vent Windows
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=766598

1955 GMC hydramatic build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429417

blue 72 gmc 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 AM   #12
donthekawguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqrlnts View Post

I'm betting the min-pin does most of the work. Mine was meaner than a snake!
Old 08-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

The "Home" setting on my GPS will take you to the local police department HQ. I can find my way home from there. LOL.

Pictures...... I've tried to get in the habit of uploading screen shots instead of the original picture, theory being screen shots don't have location data imbedded.

The world's changing for sure.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
sgtusmc

Great info OrrieG. I'm not a up to date with all the tech stuff. I wasn't aware people could track it. By the time a cell phone gets to me. It's been used by the wife, then son. I'm about 3 years behind everyone.
I hope you guy's continue to post pics of your trucks. If you suckers start drawing pics, I'm out of here...lol
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=sgtusmc
U.S. Marines - Certified Counselors to the 72 Virgins Dating Club.
sgtusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
mr48chev

One thing that I do quite often if I am selling something small on Craigslist is have the buyer meet me in the parking lot where I work or at the AMPM market down the road from work or a store parking lot in the town that I live near. That helps keep some people from knowing where I live. They may not be the problem but the people who overhear them telling a friend what they saw at my place may be a real big problem.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote