The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
RocketCowboy

Question To baffle, or not to baffle...Valve Covers

So I picked up a 1981 GMC K1500 and the motor has short valve covers with center bolts. Like a lot of other folks out there, I'm just trying to start off with doing a few little things at a time to my new girl! As I started searching around for some new covers, I've been thrown a little bit of a curve ball, to me anyway. The option of baffled versus non-baffled valve covers! I understand the difference, but does it matter? Which is better? And what about tall or short?

Thanks in advance,

John

Last edited by RocketCowboy; 08-21-2013 at 02:38 AM.
RocketCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
f.monroe

Re: To baffle, or not to baffle...Valve Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCowboy View Post
So I picked up a 1981 GMC K1500 and the motor has short valve covers with center bolts. Like a lot of other folks out there, I'm just trying to start off with doing a few little things at a time to my new girl! As I started searching around for some new covers, I've been thrown a little bit of a curve ball, to me anyway. The option of baffled versus non-baffled valve covers! I understand the difference, but does it matter? Which is better? And what about tall or short?

Thanks in advance,

John
I would go with the baffled valve covers and short instead of all covers. The baffles will keep the PVC valve from sucking up oil that will be splashing around inside the covers. Tall unbaffled valve covers are nice for race engines that Ned the clearance and use a different type of evacuation system.
This is my opinion.
Frank
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
vidman

Baffled for sure. If you need the clearance for an aftermarket valve train go with the tall, if not the short ones will do...
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Baffled are better and short vs tall is easy you use short unless you have roller rockers then you go tall.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote