The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
robber grin

Re: 62 C10 STEERING WHEEL on 70's van column???

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
Man that looks good! Any tips on how you installed the column?
It goes together pretty much like the original unit does... same basic scheme.

I split my firewall seal plate to make it easier on installation and added some extra screws to tack it down tight.

Firewall band clamp at the firewall mounting tab as before and wanted to use one at the top where the two screws were - but couldn't get it over the bracket that supports the column to which we mount the emergency brake cable too.

I cut two notches in the front of the bracket where the two screws would have gone to allow for a firewall tab band clamp to go over the bracket and column sleeve but could not get it in a position where I could tighten it once it was "in place".

I put a hose clamp there for the moment or until I can come up with a better solution. Maybe a muffler clamp... dunno for sure yet. I may go ahead and weld two nuts in place and dump the clamp idea entirely.

The bracket was hitting the NS/BU switch so I notched it out to clearance it (on the kick-panel side) and also buzzed off the clutch pedal return stop's mounting tab while I was there. I'm done with the clutch pedal and saw no reason to leave the tab there though it would have not hurt anything to do so.

Left everything loose enough to slip the entire column up and down until I found what looked like a "natural" spot for the "final" placement that allowed for some movement in the collapsible shaft area (which still needs re-drilled and pinned/glued).

What I'm going for are good mechanical upgrades that don't take any of the truck's soul away. Clean & simple just like in 62.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow when I blow it all apart for upper clamp solution (hopefully) and paint touch up.

Thanks guys - good night.
bob
robber grin is offline   Reply With Quote