The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
MidLifer

joining the Advance Design hobby

I've been on the board for a few years, have a 71 C10, and just bought truck #2, which officially brands me as insane, but who cares? LOL

It's a 1950 3100, and I'm looking forward to returning it to stock glory over the next few years. Will certainly be asking a lot of dumb questions on this forum, so thanks in advance for patience and wisdom!

Seller got the money today, now my freight broker needs to find me a trucker to get it from OR to NJ!
Attached Images

MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
av8tr33337

Re: joining the Advance Design hobby

Hell it looks like you could fly out to Oregon and drive it home!

Well, Maybe not, but it looks like a good solid truck. Way better that I'm starting off with.

There is no such thing as a stupid question. These guys have proven that by not running me off the board.

There are tons of guys here as well as on the H.A.M.B. who know alot about restoring these old trucks so dont hesitate to ask.

on finding your next Project and to the 47-59 section!

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
MidLifer

According to the seller, the original owner put it away in a barn in 1977 and left it there until he died. Mice got to it but other than cab corners it is rust-free and complete, all trim intact, even has a pushbutton radio. A complete, dry truck to me is worth paying up for. I'm much more confident with mechanical work than body work (though I'm taking a body work class at a local tech school this fall).

The engine spins but doesn't start at this time. It's a full pressure 235 from a 62 truck. Not original, I know, but I'll trade that for the extra HP and better oiling system. Truck is still on 6v, I'm wondering what the benefit of a 12V conversion would be (see, dumb question #1).

First order of business is get the truck running so it's a rolling project. Then spend some time driving and enjoying it while I figure out what I want to do resto-wise. Not feeling as rushed with this one as I was with truck #1. I can see enjoying fixing this thing over the next few years slowly. With the 71, I wanted to do it all at once (still took me 2 years LOL and not done yet).
Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
av8tr33337

Wow great back story and definately a great way to start off. Personally if you are going to drive it much the 235 is a better choice anyway although the purists may argue the point. Being able to drive over 50 is always a plus in my book.

I'm subscribed and looking forward to a whole bunch of Pics in the near future.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Zach B

No stupid questions exist. Let me put it this way when you want a small detail such as a cigaret lighter there is one available for those trucks but its not original. It's advertised as reproduction however the original was the same as the car. I know you did not need that info but its just a good point in mentioning that is good to second guess all the info you ever get. This makes a restoration tedious and long. However the end result can be something unique. That's a good solid looking truck with more than what I have. My 47 is missing the bed, thank, and fenders. Looks to me like yours could be driven home.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Root2812

If I may suggest one thing to you its to upgrade your brakes first. These trucks have a single master cylinder so if you lose one wheel you lose all wheels. The first thing I did with mine was new master cylinder, lines, shoes, and wheel cylinders. Since you have the 235 you will probably be driving high way speeds of 55-60 or more. These old systems were not designed for the modern braking when someone cuts you off at 60. A disk brake up grade with a dual master cylinder would be an awesome upgrade. I would have done that if I had pilled my 216 out but I still putts around at 45mph. I will have new brakes when I get my new motor.

As for your question about 6v to 12v... It has no real negatives. I'm actually in the middle of doing this conversion to mine right now. The 12v will give you brighter lights and better starting. There is also the bonus of being able to jump start without potentially frying your truck. Just remember to put those resistors in everywhere. If you have an original 6v radio in your truck that works those are worth $600+ to collectors and you don't want to burn that up. Going 12v would also let you upgrade to something with FM instead of just AM radio.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
MidLifer

Thanks Root - The PO redid the existing brake cylinders, but I want to do a disc upgrade anyway.

If the radio works, it's staying in the truck. Otherwise I'll break out my Electrical Engineering degree and restore it.