The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Tomb23

49 Chevy on to a S-10 4x4 Questions

1949 Short bed going on to a 89 Chevy extended cab 4X4, Question mainly is can I keep and use the S-10 Engine and Complete drive train. Trying to help out Nephew with his FIRST CAR and First Project searched but didn't really find the answer YET ?
Tomb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Jordanwake

Re: 49 Chevy on to a S-10 4x4 Questions

You would be much better off trying to find a 2wd regular cab long box s10, the extended cab will need to be cut and shortened 5" plus The main issue with the 4wd frame is the front frame horns which are different than the 2wd. the cab may need additional work to get it to fit.
Jordanwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
msaintg

Re: 49 Chevy on to a S-10 4x4 Questions

short answer... sure you could.
long answer... you just gotta decide how much work you want to do. With any S10 swap, you gotta move the engine & tranny rearward 5". If you keep the 4 wheel drive, you will have to notch the torsion arm cross member behind the transfer case to clear the transfer case. I don't know if it is easier to shorten the frame or move the rear axle mounts / rear suspension forward to correct the wheel base difference. You have to decide what sounds easier. If you are going to go lower like I did, you may want to get rid of the transfer case and front differential.... that will require changing the output shaft and tail stock on the transmission. you didn't say what engine/ tranny combo you have... it may not be worth using, or it may be just what you want for power / ecomomy. I wanted to keep the 4.3l V6 / auto / fuel injection combination.... it was a LOT of work keeping all of the original equipment... but I am VERY glad I did in the end..... I get between 20 and 24 mpg with power to spare.
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote