The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
PurdueSD

Inner firewall cover

What is everybody using on the interior side of the firewall? I am getting ready to start filling some holes in my firewall and trying to decide whether i should retain the firewall insulator attatchment holes or not.

I was planning to use peel and seal, on the floor pans/ roof and back of cab, but those areas will all be covered. I want to run the rubber oe style floor mat.

One of these would cover up the peel and seal, looks like i have two options. Looking for some feedback.
Thanks fellas!

This one says its molded abs
http://www.classicparts.com/1947-53-...1/#prettyPhoto[gallery]%20nofollow/1/

or page 28 of the truck shop catlog has a rubberized version that is much cheaper.
http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/106275398#fullscreen
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Inner firewall cover

I don't know about "everybody" -and I haven't done this yet - but I too intend to use Peel 'n Seal on the firewall after I weld shut all unused holes.

After that I think it's just a mtter of personal taste on what you want it to look like. If you're going with the factory rubber mat then you may want to go with the more '50's looking rubber cover too. YMMV!

PS: Make sure you post Before, During and After photos though to help us and future searchers out.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
NEWFISHER

I used the ABS style. It's nice, form fit and has a thick jute pad bonded to the backside for heat and sound deadening. I just "pay'ed it forward" in the thread on the 2nd one that I had.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Speedbumpauto

I used fat mat up to the point of the firewall where the carpet will end but sprayed lizard skin on the entire firewall and underside of the dash before the fat mat. there was some concern as to whether the fat mat would stick to the lizard skin but it seemed to work very well + in the high heat areas I have double insulation. Remains to be seen whether it will work or is worth it in the long run as the truck won't run for another month.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
PurdueSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I don't know about "everybody" -and I haven't done this yet - but I too intend to use Peel 'n Seal on the firewall after I weld shut all unused holes.

After that I think it's just a mtter of personal taste on what you want it to look like. If you're going with the factory rubber mat then you may want to go with the more '50's looking rubber cover too. YMMV!

PS: Make sure you post Before, During and After photos though to help us and future searchers out.
Thanks Dan, i will definately will post pics of what i do. I was hoping somebody could talk about how they attached theirs and maybe post up a couple pics. I am leaning towards the rubber style cause its only like 40 bucks. But the picture is pretty cruddy and i want to make sure what im getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I used the ABS style. It's nice, form fit and has a thick jute pad bonded to the backside for heat and sound deadening. I just "pay'ed it forward" in the thread on the 2nd one that I had.
Hah, cool deal on the paying it forward, i had not seen that thread up until now. Do you have any pics of the ABS pad installed? How did you attach it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
I used fat mat up to the point of the firewall where the carpet will end but sprayed lizard skin on the entire firewall and underside of the dash before the fat mat. there was some concern as to whether the fat mat would stick to the lizard skin but it seemed to work very well + in the high heat areas I have double insulation. Remains to be seen whether it will work or is worth it in the long run as the truck won't run for another month.
Gotcha, what are you using on top of the fat mat to cover it up?

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the input. Anyone have an pics? My truck isnt gunna be a high dollar type ride.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Speedbumpauto

I'm Having my upholstery guy do carpet on the entire floor, up the front just past the toe boards where you can't see it because of the dash and up the back where the tank used to be to where the double wall cab starts. The only pic I have shows the fat mat on the floor and back behind the seats and the lizzard skin on the toe boards, firewall and trans tunnel.(mine is set back 5" for engine)
Since then I have added fat mat up the toe boards, hump and firewall and stop just inder where the dash starts. It's at the upholstery shop now so I can't do another pic.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
1project2many

I put insulated jute backing against the firewall then reversed some linoleum and painted the back side black. It looks like OEM and does a great job of keeping noise and heat away.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
mr48chev

Speedbumpauto did exactly what I plan for my truck. Using the Lizard skin and then covering that with Fat Mat. I'll probably do that on all interior surfaces including roof, and pack panel and put the Lizard skin in the doors. I plan on having air in the truck this time and plan several trips of two thousand miles one way. It was extremely hot in the truck when we took trips in our 30's and we survived but now we are in our 60's and hope to be a bit more comfortable.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Speedbumpauto

[QUOTE we are in our 60's and hope to be a bit more comfortable.[/QUOTE]

Amen! I did put fat mat in the roof and some in the doors and brushed in bed liner in the lower 1/4 of the doors but the fat mat was more for sound deadening/oilcanning and the bed liner was to seal my rust patches and make it more moisture resistant. Our current hot rod has no top. We've had a blast in it(17K miles in 3 years) but the truck will be a welcome change.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
mr48chev

Well, that should give you a cool weather or evening cruise night topless car and a truck that you can take road trips in the summer in.

My inlaws live in Central Texas and there are several car shows in that area that I want to go to on a somewhat annual basis for as long as I am able so that is the primary reason for building my truck so I can take reasonably comfortable road trips. 32 years ago we drove it to Texas with no ac, no windows and very little in the way of firewall or floor insulation and with the slant chop on the windshield air flow in the cab is limited. that was the summer that Texas had a record number of days over 100 and the pavement on the roads was melting in some places. We had a camper shell on the 48 that my kids or wife and one kid rode in most of the time and she would dip water out of the cooler and pour it over the kids to cool them off.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote