The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
rip2174

Gas tank options

Have an 83 GMC stepside with saddle bags. Want to get rid of ssaddle bags. What are options for replacing these tanks? Does a suburban or blazer tank work with this? Or are there some after market between frame tanks? Will be putting Porterbuilt extreme rear kit.
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
eckchevytruck

Re: Gas tank options

There is a tank fromSummit Racing that will fit between the frame rail in the back. 15 gallons is what i put in mine but it does take some modfying so think before you jump in to it. The spare tire will not be there anymore and the filler will have to go though the bed.
eckchevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Also depending on your final ride height a Blazer which is the smallest tank may hang to low to be safe. You may have to buy an aftermarket shallow tank that has very little hang down.

My project F100 which should have a frame height of 6-7 inches when done, and may prove to be tow low for cheap or easy solutions.

The current solution is to use the behind the seat tank, and put it in the bed. In my case it fits perfectly with a little trimming right up against the front of the bed. I would use a couple of Jaguar fill caps, so I can fill the truck on any side. Then I would build a plywood cover to protect the tank from impacts of what ever may be in the bed, but also clean up the area's looks. Then if it I decide to keep it there I will get a diamond plate cover made up. Or preferably a custom frame rail tank or modified Mustang version.

Also have you thought about raising you bed up? I have seen customs online that have done it, and it give you plenty of room to raise up every thing for road clearance. I think for a slammed truck it is the cleanest way to get everything to fit.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
ChevyGearHeads

Hay check out my youtube site chevygearheads me and my son fab a under the bed tank in a 80 short bed the tank is a GM 15 from autozone
ChevyGearHeads is offline   Reply With Quote