The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Dads64

Clutch???

I have '64 C10 long bed that I bought as a parts truck that wouldn't idle when I got it. It's a 6 with 4 speed and it would drive/shift just fine but you had to stay on the gas. We drove it last in December and it drove fine but this weekend after I got it to idle and run smooth, it will not go into gear. The clutch seems to be not releasing. If I have the clutch to the floor and the truck in gear when trying to start it, it will drive LOL.

Any ideas on what my problem might be??

Thanks,
Jay
Dads64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
bama63

Re: Clutch???

clutch frozen (rusted) to flywheel have some one depress the clutch and use a pry bar or screwdriver to separate it.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Clutch???

Bama63 could have the answer. Also, If manual clutch, adjust clutch linkage? If hydraulic clutch, check fluid level--also, another quick check: with eng. running, in neutral, pump pedal several times and see if it goes into 1st or reverse easier; if so, the clutch master could be bad.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
billd5string

I recently had my clutch disc come apart, and the the disc springs wedged in between the disc and the pressure plate. Everything looked fine externally, but it acted just like you describe.

If the disc came apart like mine did, or rusted to the flywheel like Bama63 suggests, either way, just pulling the transmisison and having a look will tell you exactly what's wrong.

That's not the easy answer though, sorry.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
fleetweld47

I agree with the above reply's that the clutch is stuck to the fly wheel . I would first try to push/pull the truck while it is in gear and the clutch depressed all the way down with another vehicle. If that does not work you can always take a good pudy knife that is really thin and tap in between the clutch disc and fly wheel from the bottom as your rotate the fly wheel (Just make sure the ignition is disengaged ). Hope this helps as I have had to do it many times.
fleetweld47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
Dads64

Thanks a ton guys! It is a manual clutch, I got under and lightly worked at it with a screw driver. It didn't work at first but after getting pissed and stomping on then letting the clutch pop back, it started shifting perfect.

Thanks again,
Jay
Dads64 is offline   Reply With Quote