The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2003, 02:25 AM   #1
68c10owner

who`s running a LS1?

I keep seeing articles about the LS1 and Ii`m thinking of doing the swap. I know a few people here are running them so I was wondering what I need to install one in my truck? My main concerns are motor mounts ,acc. mounting location, what one is better, corvette or F body?, and what I`ll need from the donor car. I`m not sure if I`ll do this or not but I wanted to research it further before making up my mind.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:33 AM   #2
68LSS1

I'm in work on mine but there's another guy who has one running. I got a set up out of a '98 Camaro. The only real difference is accessory routing between the Vette and F-body (and of course the trans). Newer Vettes have the throttle by wire instead of a cable attached to the throttle body. You'll need the complete engine, wiring harness and computer. You didn't say manual or auto but both are possible. Note that the LS1 bell housing is different from SBC and LT1 but a TH350/400 etc, can be made to work. If you decide to go with the manual get the complete clutch master and slave cylinder assy's.
There's a few companies that make motor mount adapters such as Street and performance and I was talking to Ed at MOTHERTRUCKERS the other day and I think he said he's making them also.
As far as the wiring you have various options. Modifying the harness yourself, sending it out to someone like John at Speartech to modify it for you (he can also sell you a harness), Painless makes one (I don't recommend theirs), etc. Or if you want to get real exotic like me, Accell recently came out with the DFI Gen VII which replaces the computer and does away with the MAF and gives a lot more tuning ability (plus the capability of operating three nitrous stages among many other things). With a modified harness from John it's a four or five wire hook up. you can also get LS1edit, a computer program to allow you to change computer parameters and tables.
As for the computer you can send it out to have "tuned" to remove stuff like egr, rear O2's, VATS (vehicle anti theft system), or whatever you won't be using or do it yourself with LS1edit as I mentioned above.
I have heard of people using the LS1 ac compressor with good results although some ac kit companies will say it won't work. Street and Performance sells ac kits with Sanderson compressors I think along with other pulleys and brackets to move stuff around. They are not cheap.
You will need to do some notching on the frame to get the compressor to fit but the alternator clears. Or get a kit to mount the ac up high. You can go to S & P's website and they have pictures of both accessory set ups. But I changed the front crossmember and suspension and haven't gotten back to the engine.
I'm going with a Dakota Digital Dash but you can get boxes for the speedometer if you want to keep the original. The computer doesn't need oil pressure/alt so you can wire those however you want with whatever sending unit you want. There metric so you have to use adapters or turn and rethread the sending unit you need. Have to use the LS1 temp unit as the computer needs this though.
Drop me a email/PM if you need anything else. The performance potential of these motors is unreal. I have a friend with a '99 who runs 10.3x in the quarter (that is witha 383-6.0 iron truck block-and nitrous, but on a stock suspension and 10 bolt) and he still gets better than 20 mpg. That's my goal--10's in the quarter and 20mpg.
Also LS1tech has a hybrid and conversion section. Nothing but people putting LS1's into anything imaginable: Fiero's, RX7's, BMW's, Camaro's, Chevelle's, etc.
Links:
LS1tech
Speartech
MOTHERTRUCKERS
Street & Performance
Old 12-04-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
saulgoode

68ls1
would love to see some inprogress or finished pics
saulgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:55 PM   #4
Vince M

I'm in the process of putting mine in. I've got the motor and tranny in but haven't tackled any of the wiring. I made my own motor mounts from the original 2002 F-body units. I just had to cut them and rework the angles of them to sit on the front cross member. Just got the back from the powder coater today along with some other parts.
The top right frame has to be nothed to clear the AC as mentioned and I used a 4L60E tranny out of the same year Camaro. All I had to do was relocate the stock auto cross member to a more forward position, redrill a hole in the center of the member between the stock two holes and that was it. So far I have surprised at how easy it has gone. Like I said though I haven't got to the wiring.
I would recommend the F-body motor mounts, they are a more traditonal mount compared to the Corvette. Also the exhaust manifolds on the F-body sweep back much like the stock V-8 ones do. Then again there's headers available but they are pricey. Try to get the latest LS1 you can get. The 2002 model came with the LS6 intake which breathes better and I have a replacement block which are all LS6"s.
Beside all this the motor is all aluminum, weighs a lot less than a cast iron block....
If I can help in anyway let me know also.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #5
saulgoode

I're read in other posts that an ls1 swap is pretty tricky, I'm guessing that its related to the wiring and computer, and making it all jive?
Cody
saulgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 AM   #6
Ackattack

I have an LS1 in my car, and I really like the engine. They're actually pretty easy to work on once you get past the fear of electronics (though the f-body is tight space, but won't be a problem in a truck). I've done a cam swap, and a head and cam swap for friends. Though they scream in stock form too. Some people are putting down over 400 RWHP with simple bolt ons and a cam!!!

I'm also planning on installing one in a 1st gen camaro, so I've been reading up on the conversion process. One thing is the fuel pump. It operates at a higher pressure than the typical fuel injection system, so I don't know how hard it will be to find a capable fuel pump. It sounds like puting one in a truck is easier than into a 1st gen camaro though, you run into a little more problems.

An option I've also considered for my truck (though unlikely to happen) is to swap in a 5.3L from a newer truck. Pretty much the same thing as the LS1, except I believe the truck's accessories are in a more favorable location.
Good luck
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote