The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Urgent Parts sourcing help needed

We've just found out that my wife has to go to New York next week on business which is a PITA for us BUT an opportunity for me to get some parts for my truck back to the UK in her suitcase rather than paying for international shipping and without having to pay import duty etc!

I need to go right through the brakes as my truck has been stood for some years so for safety sake I want to replace the lot, all the hard brake lines are rusty anyway so need replacing as they'll never pass a UK safety inspection the state they're in. At the same time I'll be upgrading from manual to power drums and I already have the brake booster (new) and all the neccesary brackets and linkages etc to do this. My parts list so far is as follows:

Inline tube stainless hard line set (unless anyone can suggest better/cheaper)
Braided hose set from above (again unless I can get them cheaper from elsewhere)
New wheel cylinders all round (rockauto maybe?)
New master cylinder(rockauto maybe?)
New drum brake hardware kit (springs etc) (rockauto maybe?)

also a couple of door hinge repair kits for my 2001 S10 blazer.

Anyone know how big the brake line packaging is? Might be hard to fit them in her case if they're in an 8ft long parcel!

Am I missing anything? Is there a better way of getting this all from one supplier as I need to get it all shipped to my wifes hotel and it has to be there on time. I'm not sure she's going to have time to get out to a NAPA or Autozone etc. Any help would be gratefully appreciated as it happens to coincide with my birthday pretty much so she's offered to pay!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
mrolds88

Re: Urgent Parts sourcing help needed

Hi Phil. I don't believe the hardline kit would fit in her luggage, but I may be wrong. The rest looks doable. Rockauto is a good resource. They ship pretty quickly. If you are a bit of an adventurer, you could pick up brake line in a coil and bend your own. Does Inline have the type you are looking for in a coil? Might be worth a look.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Inline Tube ships their full brake line set in a box that's roughly 45" long. It would be 1.2m by the time it got to you. It's that big because of the single line that runs from front to back inside the passenger frame rail (6-7 foot line, folded to fit). The front kit has one piece that at least 2.5 feet, so I don't know how much smaller the carton would be for a front-only order.

I've had excellent luck with Rock Auto, to the point that my local NAPA doesn't get that sort of business from me. Were it me, I'd call the hotel to confirm that they can hold the order if it happens to arrive a couple of days ahead of your courier.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
SuperC10Tex

Wife must have some LARGE suitcases!!!

"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows"
SuperC10Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC10Tex View Post
Wife must have some LARGE suitcases!!!
Last time we visited we had to buy 2 additional cases to bring back all the parts I bought! Sounds like the brake lines are a non starter but the other bits should be doable. I do use rockauto already to ship direct but recently their shipping charges to the UK have gotten ridiculous costing as much if not more than the parts.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
Last time we visited we had to buy 2 additional cases to bring back all the parts I bought! Sounds like the brake lines are a non starter but the other bits should be doable. I do use rockauto already to ship direct but recently their shipping charges to the UK have gotten ridiculous costing as much if not more than the parts.
I just bought some nickel/copper 1/4" from a supplier, will not rust, and came in about 3' coil. Was told that NAPA does stock this product, but didnt buy it from them. If you need, i can call them tomorrow to see if they can get it

I heard it on the internet, so, it has to be true....bonjour, as said by the male french model with the belly pack

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Urgent Parts sourcing help needed

Don't you get a break on duty fee's if the items are marked as a "Gift"?
I remember sending some parts to Victoria,British Columbia and the person I was shipping asked me to declare it as a gift, worked for him, might work for you too...just sayin'
Have a good one!
Ben
Posted via Mobile Device
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
We've just found out that my wife has to go to New York next week on business which is a PITA for us BUT an opportunity for me to get some parts for my truck back to the UK in her suitcase rather than paying for international shipping and without having to pay import duty etc!

I need to go right through the brakes as my truck has been stood for some years so for safety sake I want to replace the lot, all the hard brake lines are rusty anyway so need replacing as they'll never pass a UK safety inspection the state they're in. At the same time I'll be upgrading from manual to power drums and I already have the brake booster (new) and all the neccesary brackets and linkages etc to do this. My parts list so far is as follows:

Inline tube stainless hard line set (unless anyone can suggest better/cheaper)
Braided hose set from above (again unless I can get them cheaper from elsewhere)
New wheel cylinders all round (rockauto maybe?)
New master cylinder(rockauto maybe?)
New drum brake hardware kit (springs etc) (rockauto maybe?)

also a couple of door hinge repair kits for my 2001 S10 blazer.

Anyone know how big the brake line packaging is? Might be hard to fit them in her case if they're in an 8ft long parcel!

Am I missing anything? Is there a better way of getting this all from one supplier as I need to get it all shipped to my wifes hotel and it has to be there on time. I'm not sure she's going to have time to get out to a NAPA or Autozone etc. Any help would be gratefully appreciated as it happens to coincide with my birthday pretty much so she's offered to pay!
If you order your brake lines from Inline Tube (http://www.inlinetube.com/) they will send you a one piece line for the rear brakes with a "shipping bend" that keeps length to 3 feet to meet the UPS restriction on length. When they arrive get a handkerchief or a cotton napkin wrapped around the tube and grip it tight in one hand while pulling the bend through the napkin. Heat of friction will cause the inner radius of the bend to begin to straighten as the tube gets hot and expands. it =takes a few minutes to work the bend out but if you can resist the temptation to bend the tube in the opposite direction you will have a tube that is perfectly straight.

If you are a golfer ask your local pro shop how they straighten the shaft of a bent club...same trick!

Good Luck.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote