The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
agnes the dog

Drum brake question

I'm having trouble getting my e-brake to work. I have followed the procedures in the service book and I think that I need to do some further adjusting to the shoes/drums. Can anyone advise which way to turn the adjuster to spread the shoes, up or down? My book (pdf) didn't specify. Also, how much tension should there be on the drum? Should the wheel spin freely or should it drag just a bit? Sorry, first experience with drum brakes. The shoes were good when I bought the truck. Seems like they have worn a little over the past year.

1959 3100 stepside 355 + T5
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Drum brake question

What year/model? Self adjusting brakes or manual?
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
OrrieG

When you expand the shoes the wheel will turn relatively free. To back it off you need to use a small screwdriver to release the piece that rests in the adjustment wheel grooves to keep them from backing off. You should adjust them so they start to drag, jump in and pump the brakes a couple of times to seat them, then back off so there is a very slight drag.

If the ebrake does not work with them adjusted like that then the ebrake cable or rod needs adjusted to be shorter so it reachs full engagement before running out of adjustment. This assumes the ebrake mech is in the drum, not off the back of the transmission.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
agnes the dog

Well, I think I have the rear brakes adjusted correctly now. Unfortunately, the only wheel that will lock up when I pull the e-brake is the left rear. I'm guessing there is something disconnected in the right rear brake assembly. Does anyone have a good pic of what the inside of the brake assembly should look like? Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Rude Dude

It should be a mirror image of the left brake assembly just pull your drums and look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnes the dog View Post
Well, I think I have the rear brakes adjusted correctly now. Unfortunately, the only wheel that will lock up when I pull the e-brake is the left rear. I'm guessing there is something disconnected in the right rear brake assembly. Does anyone have a good pic of what the inside of the brake assembly should look like? Thanks for the replies.
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
It should be a mirror image of the left brake assembly just pull your drums and look at them.
Ha ha, this sounds like my dad telling me what to do, except the word, "pendejo" would have been included.

Not to step on Orrie's toes; and though a screwdriver will work, it is not the correct tool to adjust brakes with. There is a special tool made for this purpose. I'm on my phone or I'd post a photo of it for you. If you're going to own a drum brake vehicle you may as well get it along with the tool for installing/removing the brake shoe onto the backing plate - it compressed the spring & retainer. If no one does it before tonight, I'll post photos later.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
agnes the dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Ever have one of those moments when you regret asking a question because the answer is so obvious that it makes you feel silly? I'm having one of those right now. Thanks Rude Dude. Great idea. I wish I had thought that one through a little more.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
OrrieG

When doing drum brakes I always do one side at a time so I have the other for reference. I got this from a pro site, looks like a screwdriver hholding back the lever to me. I do use the adjusting tool to turn the wheel.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
_Ogre

never used the screw driver trick.
beats busting a knuckle every time the adjusting tool slips off the ratchet wheel
good idea, but i hope never to need to work on drum brakes again

dan, i had to google ''pendejo'', obviously your father use the school of hard knocks
so i don't miss pronounce it... pen-de'-ho?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
mechanixman

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
so i don't miss pronounce it... pen-de'-ho?
Yup

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #11
mr48chev

during my first year of high school autoshop class in 1962 the instructor told us to tighten it up until the wheel won't turn and back it off 11 clicks. That was with brakes that were not self adjustable but I have done pretty close to the same thing for the past 51 years on drum brakes including probably a thousand brake jobs that I did when i was doing several brake jobs every day.

On self adjusting brakes I usually tighten them up until they won't turn and back them off between 7 and 11 clicks so that I get the drag I want on them.
After who knows how many brake jobs in the past 50 years I still have to stop and figure out which way to turn the star wheel almost every time I do one.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
during my first year of high school autoshop class in 1962 the instructor told us to tighten it up until the wheel won't turn and back it off 11 clicks. That was with brakes that were not self adjustable but I have done pretty close to the same thing for the past 51 years on drum brakes including probably a thousand brake jobs that I did when i was doing several brake jobs every day.

On self adjusting brakes I usually tighten them up until they won't turn and back them off between 7 and 11 clicks so that I get the drag I want on them.
After who knows how many brake jobs in the past 50 years I still have to stop and figure out which way to turn the star wheel almost every time I do one.
That is what my Corvette repair book tells me to do on my 62, and it still works!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
kcsa75

http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake
I put new brakes on my 72 a week or so ago. It was the first time I'd ever messed with drum brakes. I couldn't have done it without this.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
solidaxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsa75 View Post
http://www.pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake
I put new brakes on my 72 a week or so ago. It was the first time I'd ever messed with drum brakes. I couldn't have done it without this.
Great site!
Now if I could find one of these for a 89 Dodge Dakota disc brake "cricket leg"!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
dan, i had to google ''pendejo'', obviously your father used the school of hard knocks
True. He never raised a hand to me but when I'm asked how I learned to work in cars? The answer is always, "It was a matter of self defense". Surprising I still like cars & trucks!

Quote:
...so i don't miss pronounce it... pen-de'-ho?
Almost. "Pen deh ho". "Deh" definitely NOT "day" sounding...otherwise? You're a pendejo! Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
1project2many

I think Orrie's using a later chassis and axles under his truck. Later trucks have self adjusting drum brakes. These include a lever or link that will turn the star wheel to remove slack between the drum and shoe when the brake is applied and the vehicle is backing up. The lever is in contact with the star wheel at all times and prevents the wheel from being turned in reverse if the brake is overtightened. To release the lever you angle a small screwdriver above or below the adjuster barrel and press the tip against the lever then push away from the center of the vehicle slightly. It can take some practice to develop a feel for this.

Original '59 and older brakes do not have self adjusters so the screwdriver is not needed. The tool commonly used for turning the star wheel is a brake spoon although the only reason to use it is if there isn't enough clearance to use a straight tool such as a screwdriver, which there usually isn't. The '55 truck service manual online will describe proper brake adjustment including which direction to move the lever and will have pictures of the '55-'59 brake system. IIRC, on the '55-'59, moving the brake spoon away from axle down toward ground decreases clearance between shoe and drum.

On most drum brakes I just watch through the adjuster hole as I force the star wheel forward and back. Gauging by the distance the wheel moves and the pressure I apply, I can usually get the brakes close enough to work well without being overtightened.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
55dude

It sounds like one of your e-brake cables might need to be lubed up, have a helper activate brake lever and make sure things are moving. You can take drums off or leave them on.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
Highsider

All those years I thought they were calling me "ben-de-ho".
I have learned a lot here. :-)
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote