The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
86shorty

Exclamation in neee of dire help!

Hey guys. So..I got my stereo system installed last weekend and it worked great up until a couple days ago it was popping fuses. The 15 amp radio fuse. I replaced with a 20..popped itagain. I wwasn't listening loud or anything and the speakers are stock replacements. I called the installer and they said the radio/lighter are on the same circuit and to unplug the lighter..so I did. Well..nothing happened. Plugged it back up..checked fuses again..its fine..but no power to my radio..horn or my cab light. Any suggestions? The soonest they can get me in to check out the issue is wednesday and this is driving me nuts!
Posted via Mobile Device
86shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
71swb4x4

Re: in neee of dire help!

First of all, do not ever replace a fuse with a larger fuse. The fuses are put in to accommodate the wire sizes used. By putting in a larger fuse you run the risk of heating the wires up and starting a fire, or burning out whatever is powered by that fuse.

A fuse blows because too much current is going through that line. A lot of times this is caused by a direct short to ground. Unhook whatever you added, and replace the blown fuses, and see if all (minus the radio) works good. If it does, then start hooking your new things up and figure out which one is causing the fuse to blow. Then follow that new wire very closely and make certain it is run clean, that none of it is being grounded. Then make sure your radio is properly grounded.

It is possible that the problem is inside the new radio, but I would very carefully check your new wiring first.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
86shorty

I understand the fuse size. It was just a quick fix. I dI'd nothing to the stock radio wiring as its all the same..just put speakers in. They hard wired the ignition and the constant to the radio and made sure it was going through the fuse box. I almost wonder if anothe fuse somewhere isnt blown. I reconnected the orange lighter wire. Would this have a ground also? As there are two prongs on the back of he lighter. Its more just driving me nuts cuz eberything was just fine..now not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
71swb4x4

I got it now, I read it that you had installed a new radio.

I am almost certain you have a fuse out right now that is causing the horn and the cab light to not work.

If the installer caused the problem then I would let them fix t. It stinks not having a radio a few days but if you dig around in there you can make it harder for the installer to find the problem.
If you want to help just make a quick check of their wires. If they are stock replacements it should have been plug and play so it is odd that you have a problem.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
86shorty

Yes..it does suck. I've fought wiring since day one on this truck. Hell...I didn't even have a dome light til they put the radio in! Then voila I had light. The past week its been nice uaving that light. But..alas now its not working. I'm just gonna have to wait til wednesday or so . It sucks cuz I just want em to figure it out NOW lol I'm just ocd about stuff not working right and where it went wrong. Ill just leave it alone til then. Hopefully we can get things working. As for the fuses..I pulled all of them and they're all fine. Ill just call it a day and live with the situation for now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
86shorty

Would someone by chance know how the lighter is wired up? I cant find any schematics and I'm trying to see if reversing what they suggested would help some.
Posted via Mobile Device