The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Blue_Aura

Which is easier - Front Clip Install w/ 1 or 2 people

Ok, so I am in the process of sanding down and painting the inner fenders and radiator support on my '62 Shorty. I have the front clip off and it might just be me and my non-mechanically inclined 11 year old boys installing the clip afterwards. My question is... Which would be easier to perform with little to no assistance...

Separate the outer and inner fenders and radiator support, paint them separately and the reinstall each piece onto the truck...

Or separate the outer and inner fenders and radiator support, paint them separately and then put the whole front clip back together before reinstalling onto the truck...

Or, just spend a lot of time masking off the outer fenders and all nooks and crannies in order to prevent over spray onto the body paint, then paint inner fenders and reinstall front clip?

So far, it seems that the prep work would go a lot faster if I took everything apart. I'm just worried about the alignment of all the pieces once I try to install them back onto the truck (if I end up separating the front clip).

Need ya'll's advice. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Some Past Projects:
'69 Nova - 350 , '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 - LT1 350, '73 K20 Full-time 4x4 - 400 SB, '77 1/2 Camaro Z28 - 350, '84 Camaro Z28 - 305, '68 Buick - 430 BB
Blue_Aura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: Which is easier - Front Clip Install w/ 1 or 2 people

I handled mine in separate pieces. Found a lot of crusty dirt making rust in the seams. After finishing all peices independently, I installed them one at a time without any issues. Things can get more difficult tho' if your truck has ever been in a collision.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I handled mine in separate pieces. Found a lot of crusty dirt making rust in the seams. After finishing all peices independently I installed them one at a time without any issues.
what he said for better results.

should not be too hard to realign, just watch out for factory shims at the back of the fenders and on the cowl panels, bag and label them if there are any.

the worst part is the 2 bolts at the top front inside that hold the fender to the grille support and radiator support. but you are in calif, so you probably won't have the rust issues like the rest of us have!

it is harder to put the complete clip on than it is to get it off...even with a couple people.

I have found that it is pretty much impossible to put a hood on without help.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
tincan1966

Since I work alone most of the time, I use my engine hoist a lot. I lift the entire front clip in the center of the radiator support, then use small ratchet straps from the hoist up near the hook, out to each fender and hook thru the fender to cowl bolt holes. This will hold it level and not swing around. When going back on, you can get it very close then handle one side at a time to remove the small strap and install a bolt.

This has worked for me several times, but it's still always better to have some help.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
jbgroby

I mounted mine one part at a time over several months. This past Fathers Day, the boys gift to me was about 8 hours of help adjusting the doors and hanging the fenders.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
da_bears_da1

I have assembled mine twice by myself and its not really too tough. Panel alignment gets to be a little fun but if you have an alignment tool it helps.

What I do is put on the inner fenders first and bolt to the firewall. Next I put on the radiator support and get it bolted to the frame on the bottom and then the inner fenders. Next comes the lower fenders and then the grill support. Last is the upper fenders. It helps to not tighten everything all the way until you have connecting bolts lined up. Some things I do tighten and then adjust and tighten again. Mainly this is to get the body lines like I want them. The lower fenders I tighten in back at the top and bottom to get the gap alignment with the door that I want.

It takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do it myself. I am sure when I am doing it the final time it will take longer to get the rubber in place.

Might not be a bad thing to have your boy help for some of it. While my son is a great guy, he does not have a clue or desire to learn about vehicles. Should have started early with him.

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Blue_Aura

Thanks everyone for your guidance and experience. I think I will go ahead and take the front clip apart so I don't spend so many hours trying to sand the inner fenders and radiator support without messing up the paint on the fenders. Also, I think it might be easier to reinstall the fenders separately. If it is a lot harder to reinstall the front clip with limited help, then I it sounds like I am better off just installing each piece. My only concern is that the PO painted it all assembled and I fear the paint chipping off at the seams when I separate the fenders and grill support.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Some Past Projects:
'69 Nova - 350 , '70 1/2 Camaro Z28 - LT1 350, '73 K20 Full-time 4x4 - 400 SB, '77 1/2 Camaro Z28 - 350, '84 Camaro Z28 - 305, '68 Buick - 430 BB
Blue_Aura is offline   Reply With Quote