The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
midniteblues

how close is your... and a story

driveshaft too your ta c-member after lowering?

I've been building a trans crossmember from square tubeing so my exhaust can stay above the frame.

another reason i'm doin it is too correct the engine/trans angle

i used oe 68-71 bbc frame stands on my 67 too mount the bbc.

in the begining i figured i would use a oe auto trans crossmember under my car 4spd behind the bbc but i quickly found that the auto cm just wouldnt work. no matter how much shimming i did under the trans mount.

i had over 10 degrees of rear tilt at my carb mount(without any shims.
plus my headers exited dead center of the trans cm and the fan was into the top of the shroud.
and there was no way to shim around 3" collectors

the severe angle kinda baffled me i figured with oe parts i should'nt have had this problem.

i had tried a cpp tubeular trans cm an had both the same problems it didnt change anything.
plus i didnt like the fact that it only mounted to the bottom of the frame c channel. unlike a oe that mounted top an bottom.

so a custom trans cm it is.

i have a ece 4/6 kit on the truck with 1 1/4 blocks out back(total of 1 1/2 block with the ece trac bar mount/shim)

i used blocks in the rear since i'm gonna run a taller tire in the back too level the truck.

i dont have the cab(very soon after this problem is solved),front clip or bed on the truck yet so the only weight on the frame is the drivetrain and core support.

can i set my driveline angle this way? or will the weight of the body drasticly change the angles?

when i set my carb mount flange to level(0 degrees) i have good drive line angles at the rear, drive shaft,and trans.

when i have everything set up with good angles my
1 peice driveshaft is 1 3/8" from hitting my oe ta crossmember(i havent trimmed the top of the hoop) how close is yours?

i'm afraid that as i start adding the weight of the body i'm gonna run into clearance issuses here.and change the driveline angles

anybody have a drop similar to mine on a completed truck with a oe ta c member? how close is your shaft too the top?

i'm kinda up in the air. either trim & reinforce the oe cm for ds clearance
or just get a ece peice an have no worries except my wallet.

i allready have my oe ta cm with 4" schd 80 pipe welded in for exhaust pass through.

i painted my firewall last weekend so my cab is ready to go back on the frame but i wanna get this figured out before i remount it.

i tried too provide as much info to my problem if more is needed i'll give it.

there is so much expeirance here on this board surely sombody has had a similar problems.

so custom it was
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
midniteblues

Re: how close is your... and a story

ttt

tom thanks i will when i get the chance
Old 09-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I only have thoughts,and would like to hear what turns up. I have an M22 for my shortbed project,was figuring to use the automatic crossmember,has 4/6 drop,and will have 1pc driveshaft. I'm at a point where I need to decide on cutting exhaust holes and welding 4" pipe (I have) or fork out for the ECE crossmember. . I didn't want anything but OEM or period mods on the truck,but if it's gotta be it's gotta be (& who's going to see it?). It is a bit of a job to do,too

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
driveshaft too your ta c-member after lowering?

in the begining i figured i would use a oe auto trans crossmember under my car 4spd behind the bbc but i quickly found that the auto cm just wouldnt work. no matter how much shimming i did under the trans mount.

i had over 10 degrees of rear tilt at my carb mount(without any shims.
plus my headers exited dead center of the trans cm and the fan was into the top of the shroud.
and there was no way to shim around 3" collectors

the severe angle kinda baffled me i figured with oe parts i should'nt have had this problem.

i had tried a cpp tubeular trans cm an had both the same problems it didnt change anything.
plus i didnt like the fact that it only mounted to the bottom of the frame c channel. unlike a oe that mounted top an bottom.

so a custom trans cm it is.

i have a ece 4/6 kit on the truck with 1 1/4 blocks out back(total of 1 1/2 block with the ece trac bar mount/shim)
There is certainly something wrong. I used the ECE 4/5 drop on my 67 stepside and I was able to route the dual exhaust inside the frame rails without any interference from the stock trans cross member, which I moved back into the rear set of holed already drilled in the frame from the factory. Since the engine I am using is a tall deck big block I used the 396 stands. It almost sounds like you have 6 cylinder engine stands, not the big block stands which would hold the fan etc. much higher than the correct stands would. My trans is a turbo 400 backed up by a gear vendors overdrive and with that monster motor I had the driveshaft cut down to just 37 inches so everything would hook up. If there was a misalignment problem with the diff believe me, I would know it with the shaft that short. The truck was finished in 2008 and now has almost 15,000 miles on it without a breakdown.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE=special-K;(& who's going to see it?). It is a bit of a job to do,too[/QUOTE]
I know its there. And Im telling everyone.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
midniteblues

I'm positive they are bbc engine stands we've all seen the pics plus i have a set of each flavor stand here so i know the differance(except 72 bbc stands)
now i'm gonna say that i dont believe the stands i used were "oe' i think they may be aftermarket bbc stands that i bought from a swap meet.

I originally was gonna use the t/400 i have hence the reason i tryed the auto trans c member plus i had it so why not.
but i'm a shifter guy by heart(actually driving the vehicle not just pushing a go peddle)i allready had the exta 4spd in stand by in case i crunched another in the camaro but with play funds being dumped into the truck and a t56 swap in the future(for the camaro)i've been taken it easy on the camaro's 4spd.
i figured i would use the extra 4spd i had an do something cool.(4 ott) also a good buying point for me on this particular truck is because it still had the oe tree speed intact)

part of my trans c-memeber problem came from my choice to reuse my bbc camaro/nova headers. they gave awesome clearance all around except the z bar/bell crank and trans c member(you cant see any collector under the frame)

with all that beside now my big concern is the ta c-member.
now i never would've thought(with that huge oval in there) that i would come anywhere near the top of the c-member with my d shaft
and 1 3/8 without ANY sheet metal is a lil' close for comfort.

i guess i just gotta bite the bullet an get a aftermarket c-member.
i just wanted too see if anybody else had this problem.
an see how close you'alls(did i really just type that) ds is too the ta c-member
i could imageine that after the cab an bed(nowhere near ready for the bed yet) are on that my clearance between ds and c-member is gonna get really tight.

special k. it was good too shoot the shat with ya. hopefully i can get off for the next show.
imo i dont think you will come across the same issue i have if your useing a sbc in that gmc your building.

oh and cutting the oe c-member for the pipe i wouldnt say it was hard at all(besides the 10yr old makita grinder i burned up doin it) i'm a ex cabinetmaker so i'm gonna use the term.

i drew the circle on the c-member used the grinder with a cut of disc an cut "kerfs up too the outline. cut as many triangles out as close as i could get too my outline.
then used a fresh 4" grinder disc flush against the steel to make a perfect circle. of course being sch 80 it was a lil' bigger than 4" witch was no problem.
once the g- disc was through the steel it was easy too enlarge the hole the extra " too fit the dia of the pipe. it was easier and alot nicer than i thought it would turn out.

i wish i could do pics since the change i just cant figure how too do it without taken an hr. to resize and upload'em.(dont have that kinda time)

guys i'm sorry for typeing books i just feel i need to get it all out at once
Old 09-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
I know its there. And Im telling everyone.
I knew I shoulda kept my yap trap shut! Ok everybody in the whole world wide web,I am definitely not using the ECE crossmember. So,don't bother lookin',understand?
[QUOTE=midniteblues;6250

special k. it was good too shoot the shat with ya. hopefully i can get off for the next show.
imo i dont think you will come across the same issue i have if your useing a sbc in that gmc your building.[/QUOTE]
Yeah,I enjoyed the time we had to BS (the truth). Later on when things slow down is a great time to sit and chat. Bring stuff to camp out. We can make room for you and your vehicle.

I think I got crossmember confusion. I was stuck on the shaft going through the trailing arm crossmember clearance and that's what I am considering buying from ECE. I think my plan to use the factory auto trans crossmember should work. Oh,that's right,I already decided I'm not using that ECE crossmember...Right everybody? No need to look
I still may go with a Pontiac 389 or 400,because a guy on the site in Alabama is making me want too. So,although different animal I still might gain helpful knowledge for if that time comes...And I'll open the hood for anyone who asks to see,too

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote