The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
lt1tyrell

Anybody running a 32/36 Weber on a 250?

Still trying to decide on a carb/intake setup for this 250, then I found a complete conversion kit for inline 6 engines that will use an adapter and the stock intake manifold. Seems like a pretty cheap way to upgrade the carb. Will a small 2 barrel weber be a substantial improvement over a stock old Rochester 1bbl? I thought with very minor mods such as elec ignition, 194 head, headers, rv cam, and a weber it should run a little better than stock. Thanks.
lt1tyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: Anybody running a 32/36 Weber on a 250?

The most awesome upgrade for an I6. Love my weber 32/36 and 18+ mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1tyrell View Post
Still trying to decide on a carb/intake setup for this 250, then I found a complete conversion kit for inline 6 engines that will use an adapter and the stock intake manifold. Seems like a pretty cheap way to upgrade the carb. Will a small 2 barrel weber be a substantial improvement over a stock old Rochester 1bbl? I thought with very minor mods such as elec ignition, 194 head, headers, rv cam, and a weber it should run a little better than stock. Thanks.
Are you talking about a 194 lump port head or just a stock one? A 32/36 should run fine on that, but I would put a holley 350 or 500 cfm 2 barrel, they are cheaper, and you get the same basic results. My buck and a half.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
lt1tyrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
The most awesome upgrade for an I6. Love my weber 32/36 and 18+ mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds excellent, did u get a power improvement?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
lt1tyrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Are you talking about a 194 lump port head or just a stock one? A 32/36 should run fine on that, but I would put a holley 350 or 500 cfm 2 barrel, they are cheaper, and you get the same basic results. My buck and a half.
Was thinking a stock rebuilt one, is it worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Was thinking a stock rebuilt one, is it worth it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not really, from what I know. If you changed it to a lump port head and threw in some oversize valves(1.94 or 1.84 intake and 1.60 exhaust) then you would see a big difference, but the stock 250 head would be fine to. A good book on that subject would be the Chevrolet Inline 6 cylinder Power Manual, it will give you a good list of parts for what you are doing.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
lt1tyrell

I have the 2nd edition of that book coming in the mail, hope it covers most of what the 1st edition does, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Sounds excellent, did u get a power improvement?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep. Wrote up the install and every jet change and tweak to date in the Official John Lee JR thread.

Stock rebuilt motor...thought it was a 230, turns out its a 71 olds 250...running the HEI and factory manifolds with factory single exhaust and a single Thrush. Runs like a Scalded Raped Ape-Dog where smooth and reliable is concerned.....can't hardly believe how much better HEI and Weber 32/36 is than stock. It won't put yer spine in the seat back like an 8 but I don't get passed by Hondas runnin fart cans anymore either....and I get better mileage than my wife's jeep with my 3.73 gears and a 3 speed and 3640 lbs with a half tank of fuel (I know cause I weighed it!)

Truck throws itself around with that 71 Olds stock 250 like you wouldn't believe.....ran it as high as 95 mph, still got power and guts to spare...tweakin the secondary now for hill climbing power with good success. All pushing 18 to 19 mpg range. Very awesome set up for mileage, slight power increases and exceptional reliability to date.

K98AL is runnin one here recently on his 235 and reporting good power and performance and over 17 mpg.

We are both runnin these as daily drivers.

I recommend getting the weber set up from Tom Langdon at Stovebolt Engine Company....good service and Tom will talk/email with you on getting it set up/running. A fine gentleman and it helps he was one of the GM engineers that set these motors up and kept em running originally. Do what he says, ye'll be successful.

At $449 for the holly 390 from Jegs and additional $$$ for the manifold change needed to make it work, I'll run the weber on my six for a long time and not regret it. Even with all the jet tweaking, I'm still well under $400 for my carb install, not to mention the several hundred needed for a Clifford/other make of manifold to run the 4 bbl on. Mark me happy with the Weber.

Total on my carb with adapter and air cleaner was under $280, add about $35 for various jets tried till I settled on the ones I have now and I'm still under $320....less than half of a Holly carb and useable intake manifold. + my money spent got me plenty of email and real time talk with Mr. Langdon during set up and tuning.

Last edited by Sharps40; 09-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
lt1tyrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Yep. Wrote up the install and every jet change and tweak to date in the Official John Lee JR thread.

Stock rebuilt motor...thought it was a 230, turns out its a 71 olds 250...running the HEI and factory manifolds with factory single exhaust and a single Thrush. Runs like a Scalded Raped Ape-Dog where smooth and reliable is concerned.....can't hardly believe how much better HEI and Weber 32/36 is than stock. It won't put yer spine in the seat back like an 8 but I don't get passed by Hondas runnin fart cans anymore either....and I get better mileage than my wife's jeep with my 3.73 gears and a 3 speed and 3640 lbs with a half tank of fuel (I know cause I weighed it!)

Truck throws itself around with that 71 Olds stock 250 like you wouldn't believe.....ran it as high as 95 mph, still got power and guts to spare...tweakin the secondary now for hill climbing power with good success. All pushing 18 to 19 mpg range. Very awesome set up for mileage, slight power increases and exceptional reliability to date.

K98AL is runnin one here recently on his 235 and reporting good power and performance and over 17 mpg.

We are both runnin these as daily drivers.

I recommend getting the weber set up from Tom Langdon at Stovebolt Engine Company....good service and Tom will talk/email with you on getting it set up/running. A fine gentleman and it helps he was one of the GM engineers that set these motors up and kept em running originally. Do what he says, ye'll be successful.

At $449 for the holly 390 from Jegs and additional $$$ for the manifold change needed to make it work, I'll run the weber on my six for a long time and not regret it. Even with all the jet tweaking, I'm still well under $400 for my carb install, not to mention the several hundred needed for a Clifford/other make of manifold to run the 4 bbl on. Mark me happy with the Weber.

Total on my carb with adapter and air cleaner was under $280, add about $35 for various jets tried till I settled on the ones I have now and I'm still under $320....less than half of a Holly carb and useable intake manifold. + my money spent got me plenty of email and real time talk with Mr. Langdon during set up and tuning.
Well thanks for all the help, that sounds just how I would like mine to run. Was your linkage pretty easy to get up for the throttle? I hope to retain most of the stock assembly with slight modification if I run the weber.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
lt1tyrell

I will Che k out your write up you did though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #11
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Linkage was pretty easy, 98% factory. Pedal is a bit vertical but very useable.

Write up is long, its spread out over more than a few months. Been tuning all summer, making progress each time. Just about perfection now I think.