The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Zach B

Thinking about buying a 49 chevy 2 door car

So I already have one project already that I have not even purchased body parts for and now I'm thinking of a second. My 47 chevy half ton is a project I have that is stalled for a little bit because I have my last year of high school to go through. With school I only have weekends and a few hours after school to do anything with the truck so I really need something I can tinker with to keep from loosing my mind. The car is in a lot worse shape than the truck so in my mind its perfect for this. I personally think I have stumbled on a good deal that I can't pass up. My uncle actually owns the car and was talking about scrapping it. I figure I can pay the scrap price for the car and I'm doing it a favor just by buying it. I'm saving it from the crusher and it Gives me something to tinker with when I have no time to work on the truck. Now the catch is getting the money when I have no idea how much scrap goes for but I'm figuring at least $200. The body is actually very strait for something we pulled out of the woods 5 years ago and all that is wrong with it is some rust out on the drivers side rear fender and a caved in passenger side fender. That's what I really want to tinker with because I have a plan for this car. I have a 66 292 I got from my auto tech class I can modify and turn into a hotrod engine. It's something g you don't see a lot so its different and brings that look back into the old cars where all they had were flathead v8, inline 8, and inline 6 engines. What made me think of this was actually an article in an old newspaper from the 40s I have talking about how people were racing with 216 engines with over 200 horses in them. It got me to thinking how back in the day you just figured it out. You didn't take a 350 and place every good brand of racing parts on it to make it go fast. You looked at the engine and said I wonder what I can do to make this thing faster and you played with it burning up a few engines along the way until you had it right. The truck is going original because of a rarity to the year but I see these cars all the time. I'm not going to modify it to the point that bringing it back is to difficult but I want to see what it's like to drive a modified car like that not much different from the days of the moonshine runners. I will be sure to post if I buy the car. I'm confident that I will but it may be a few months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
DouglasRaymond

Re: Thinking about buying a 49 chevy 2 door car

Do you have a pic for us?
DouglasRaymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
Zach B

Not sure how to post picks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Zach B

think i figured it out
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach B View Post
... it Gives me something to tinker with when I have no time to work on the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wait... what?

Looks like a cool car.

A little advice from an older guy who's "been there" and "seen it."

Don't be one of those "project" guys. The guy that has 15 cool project vehicles and not a single one that can be driven.

It takes a lot of money to keep these things running. Yes, you can use junkyard parts and used stuff, but after a while you get sick of replacing the same damn parts over and over.

Nothing wrong with projects, but always make sure that you have at least one that you can jump in and do some burnouts when you're sick of working on them (yes, that will happen as well). I had a 58 and 67 chevy truck when I was your age.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Zach B

What I meant by that is when the truck has something wrong with it that's I don't have time to work on but the car has a smaller job on it. It works the other way to. Lol. Not trying to be a project guy I just thought it would be cool to have the first years of both postwar new body vehicles.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
hopped up

get it! its a 2 door fleetline. thats a very cool car and very desirable.
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
Zach B

For something that was in the woods only a few years ago its in really good shape.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Zach B

That rear fender is my real concern as far as the outer body goes. I'm relatively sure that the car has been in a wreck. The trunk won't close properly because about a 1/4 inch of the fender crosses into it. I know it can be fixed but its going to take time which is why I feel this project is perfect for me. Not to mention how much I like the fastback models. I would have taken a 4 door but I found this first and like it better. Really just stumbled on it by accident. I need to find a back seat but hey everything has something missing. One window has shards of glass in it that I can roll up and down. I will have to figure out how to get the rear side windows apart because this is different from what I am used to. I will figure it out and I have a few years to plan. My first order of business is getting the car under cover. I will have to get a compleat floor pan but what should I expect for a vehicle that has been open to the elements inside the car.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
OARNGESI

buy it its too cool to crush,
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
Zach B

Already got a deal worked out.
Posted via Mobile Device