The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
rlaird

Any input on the under dash A/C system?

I have a 72' C10 all original matching numbers that has been passed down thru the family and looking to do some upgrades. Not wanting to change to much since this truck is a true survivor. This truck does have the factory a/c but looking to clean up under the engine bay a little. Is the aftermarket under dash system worth the headache of the install? Thanks for any input.
Posted via Mobile Device
rlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Any input on the under dash A/C system?

If the truck is a factory AC truck why change it? No matter what system u go with u need the engine bay stuff. Compressor and dryier and condensor.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
rlaird

Re: Any input on the under dash A/C system?

Ok. I was under the impression the new systems had everything built in. I don't claim to be an a/c guy so that sure helps before I start removing all the parts to give a clean looking firewall.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaird View Post
I have a 72' C10 all original matching numbers that has been passed down thru the family and looking to do some upgrades. Not wanting to change to much since this truck is a true survivor. This truck does have the factory a/c but looking to clean up under the engine bay a little. Is the aftermarket under dash system worth the headache of the install? Thanks for any input.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlaird View Post
Ok. I was under the impression the new systems had everything built in. I don't claim to be an a/c guy so that sure helps before I start removing all the parts to give a clean looking firewall.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's your truck, so do as you please. But, these two statements don't seem like the best course of action to me. A true, numbers matching truck is not something you come upon everyday. If it were me, there's no way I would be removing all that stuff just "to get a clean firewall." Especially as noted above, you're going to need all of it if you want A/C. It just doesn't make sense, IMO.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
rlaird

This is my first restore and all of this is kind of new to me. I really appreciate the input guys. Think it will stay as is and hopefully just replace some seals and a good service on the original system.

History on the truck is: belonged to my wife's grandfather who only drove the truck on Sunday to the grocery store and back. Passed on to his son, where the truck sat under a barn for years that I know of. A nasty divorce and it comes to my wife with 17, 000 original miles. Now I am task with bringing this back to life. Engine is at the machine shop as of now. Got away with a hone and fresh rings and seals. Has rust in floor pans and rockers but all in all. Pretty solid truck! Will post pics of the progress.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
PatrickGMC70

Depends on what you want. An aftermarket AC can clean up the engine compartment by eliminating the huge (and in my opinion, ugly) heater box. The other components (lines, drier, etc.) can be hidden or minimized (See the excellent Cloud 9 build). But, you'll give up some originality, glove box space, and fresh air option with an aftermarket kit. (To my knowledge, all of the aftermarket AC systems are recirc only).

I don't know that I'll ever swap out my factory AC, but the idea is hardly crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device
PatrickGMC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Any input on the under dash A/C system?

Once u get the ac working u can do a cowl vent upgrade and it will turn the truck cab into a freezer. I did my 71 cab and on 85 degree temps out side I'm blowing 45 degree's inside. Mine is a factory setup with a few mods though other than the cowl.
134A with components swaped for use with 134A.
The cowl mod really helps the AC out. I completely sealed mine off and open the passenger side kick panel vent with AC on and it will recirculate the air fine and it will get cold.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=253275&page=2

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Lee H

Lots of guys sway out factory AC for vintage air or one of the other after market AC systems and love it. The fire wall is cleared of the big honking ugly monstrosity and the under dash unit is smaller than the stock unit. It's got all new components and works much, much better than the 40+ year old system.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Any input on the under dash A/C system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Lots of guys sway out factory AC for vintage air or one of the other after market AC systems and love it. The fire wall is cleared of the big honking ugly monstrosity and the under dash unit is smaller than the stock unit. It's got all new components and works much, much better than the 40+ year old system.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Lots of guys sway out factory AC

The new parts I can agree on but better working not! Mine works great and it has the monstrosity on the fire wall!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Lee H

Oooops, swap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Any input on the under dash A/C system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
Oooops, swap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Got to love texting!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
tlcrz1972

Really what does the so called cleaning up the firewall do for you and for the truck?
If it is done like I always see there will be a big flat boring piece of metal to look at when your finished. (ZZZZZzzzzzz)

And if you do it to where everything is tucked away and semi hidden, when there is a problem it is a pain to diagnose and work on.

Plus you end up putting more junk under the dash making it harder to work on, it takes away from the glove box area, and it forces all the condensation inside the cab to be dealt with with a drain of some sort.

And you loose the fresh air draw in system.

To me it is not a beneficial upgrade if that is what it is called.

Do some research on converting the existing system to 134A.
I have done several system to 134A and know what works for me.
And yes I spent a lot of time and money learning what to do to make them work on 134a and I have had several failures till I got to where I'm at with them now.
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Any input on the under dash A/C system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcrz1972 View Post
Really what does the so called cleaning up the firewall do for you and for the truck?
If it is done like I always see there will be a big flat boring piece of metal to look at when your finished. (ZZZZZzzzzzz)

And if you do it to where everything is tucked away and semi hidden, when there is a problem it is a pain to diagnose and work on.

Plus you end up putting more junk under the dash making it harder to work on, it takes away from the glove box area, and it forces all the condensation inside the cab to be dealt with with a drain of some sort.

And you loose the fresh air draw in system.

To me it is not a beneficial upgrade if that is what it is called.

Do some research on converting the existing system to 134A.
I have done several system to 134A and know what works for me.
And yes I spent a lot of time and money learning what to do to make them work on 134a and I have had several failures till I got to where I'm at with them now.
Couldn't of said it better.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club