The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
jmorri34

New repop vs painted original?

Ok heres something I have been kicking around and I have both so just want some opinions here. I have my original Dash bezel and a new repop bezel and as you can guess the original has had its day. It is not cracked or broken but the black and chrome are both faded. My question is, Is it better to paint the original back black and paint the chrome part with high silver or just put in the really nice repop one. This might be answering for others too and I have the repop in but still have my old and was just curious what the forum folks thought. Thanks!
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: New repop vs painted original?

If you like the chrome look, I think it is going to be hard to duplicate it with a spray can. There is nothing as nice as the actual chrome surface on the repop bezels. However, you could use something like argent silver or the factory painted color on the edges.

These are really hard to paint without a tape line so take your time and do the black in the center first and make sure it cured good before you do the edge color.

Have fun and post a photo.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
leddzepp

New repo...unless you want a 67 style then argent silver looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
jmorri34

Yea I kinda figured this would be the case, I just rebuilt my whole cluster painted the dials and put it all in a new repop bezel, I was just wondering what everyone thought about it moneywise or really vehicle worth wise. I have no plans on selling it I was just wondering originality wise what is the better option to go with. Im not into the repainted look myself I was just kinda curious and thought Id throw it out there. By the way I replaced all my bulbs with LEDs and left the insides the original green color instead of painting it all white and I can see everything really well for what its worth!!
jmorri34 is offline   Reply With Quote