The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
big bad orange

power steering problems

Just finished putting power steering on my truck and bleed the box 4 times to get all the milky crap out, final got all the crap out and just as it shut it off the pump comes off. I mean riped the bolts out of the block and motor mount. What am i missing, all parts are new except the pump and power steering pump pulley. So now i think i have to heli-coil the 2 block holes. I did get a 3 grove crank pulley from summit for my truck (short water pump) for adding power steering. any ideas what i should look at for the pump ripping off?
Old 09-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: power steering problems

Dang man that sucks!
Did u tighten the bolts down good? Did they have lock washers on them are thread lock? That just sounds crazy. Hope u can get in there to fix it.Can u post some pictures so we can see what it did?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

Re: power steering problems

That sounds more like a matter of wrong size bolts were used or the threads in the block were bad. I don't know if I have ever heard of a steering pump locking up and there is very little drag against the belt. If the pump did sieze it should have just made the belt slip.
If you cannot refresh the block threads you might have to consider swapping to the long water pump setup where the steering pump hangs off the water pump.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
big bad orange

Re: power steering problems

Thanks for the responses, I am going to try and fix the treads and get longer bolts. One thing was the ps pulley was about 1/8 in behind the 3rd grove on the crank pulley would it be safe to use a washer over the lock washer to make up some of that room? I just can't see 1/8 of an inch out of alinement
Cause so much problems unless the bolts wernt long enough and the unaligned pump just Got free. I would take pic if I where there but I had to walk away for today
Posted via Mobile Device