The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
carshop

Cool Looking for some guidance on my 72 short bed

I just bought a 72 C10 short bed with big hopes and dreams and have read a ton of the current posts just looking for insight for a newer C10 owner with not all the tricks up my sleeve.

I don't care about a/c and I am looking to somehow eliminate the evap core box all together and saw the blower motor is housed in that same assembly. any ideas or place that may make a cover plate. I own a shop so my way is to remove it and put a block off plate but our winters are iffy and kinda want the heat if possible seen some of the custom clean outs done and I have a few good ideas on ways to hide all my harness and all and i have built 2 channels along frame to run harnesses in but this big bulky box and the stupid components in it I want gone and want it clean.
took core out expansion harness and line condensor receiver the whole system is gone and i just dont see a way to remove this thing without cutting this box to keep bloer housing or remove entire thing and hope i can make something.

a/c elimination
carshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Looking for some guidance on my 72 short bed

Vintage air makes a block off plate for the area.It is usually used with the VA A/C but could maybe be used separately.They also do a Heater.Maybe they would have a system that could replace what you have.There are also lots of heat systems for hot rods out that might work but would require you to fab them into place.
I would do a V/A heat/air combo myself,but then I'm old and like my creature comforts.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
slow-1

Could he take all the parts from a non a/c truck and convert it that way?

Oh, and welcome!
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post

Oh, and welcome!
He could but the firewall is different for an AC truck. I have thought very hard about doing the same to my truck but I am going to keep the stock AC

If you can find a doner truck or cab with no AC and take that section of the firewall and graft it in, that would work. There is another company that does a box conversion that is decent for around $169.00. I will have to see if I can find the link.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
67swb72klb

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-1 View Post

Oh, and welcome!
yes you can but the holes in the firewall for the non-air trucks are different
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
carshop

Exclamation Re: Looking for some guidance on my 72 short bed

I was gonna cut The plastic box leaving the retainer mount for the blower or make a block off plate from sheet metal and drill the holes that the box would mount to and bolt a cover over it but I know you guys have done it all so any insight is much appreciated.pulled the motor out did a complete over haul so now is my time to do it while the compartment is empty. I am going to do all the mechanical then in like February do the body and paint once the ice and crap is gone but I wanna drive it. I also am looking for some insight n Lowering thinking cut one coil and remove the helper spring in the back to get the 3 inch drop I'm looking for
Posted via Mobile Device
carshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
slow-1

Ah...I never studied the differences in the sheet metal.

If it were me, I would keep the A/C, I know for a fact that it gets plenty hot and humid enough in Va. Beach to put it to good use.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

The difference in sheetmetal between A/C and non-A/C trucks is no issue. It's a very simple area to modify. I'm thinking the issue is carshop maybe wants a smoothed firewall (??),judging by other things he's doing. Am I wrong? Not sure what to say,but if it's that the A/C-heat system is unsightly,and you don't want to completely eliminate heat,Vintage Air is the simplest (though not cheap) way to go. It's not unreasonable to think you could adapt your own more compact system using components from other vehicles,though. That's true custom!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote