The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Steve Cole

How to tell if it's any good?

Thinking of hitting up some junkyards this week looking for a 18" fan & fan clutch. Do these clutches go bad? if so, how do you tell? Will any Chevy 18" fan clutch setup work, like on later year model yehicles?

Also, no matter what tools you bring, you never seem to have everything you need. What tools do I need to bring?

Thanks,

Last edited by Steve Cole; 09-09-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: How to tell if it's any good?

You need a 1/2 inch wrench to remove the fan clutch from the water pump. The fan will remain bolted to the clutch and you remove it as an assembly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Thinking of hitting up some junkyards this week looking for a 18" fan & fan clutch. Do these clutches go bad? if so, how do you tell? Will any Chevy 18" fan clutch setup work, like on later year model yehicles?

Also, no matter what tools you bring, you never seem to have everything you need. What tools do I need to bring?

Thanks,
you're not putting an electric fan on that hotrod of yours?

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
swamp rat

My understanding (don't have one myself on my project) is that they turn semi firmly smoothly and don't wobble then they still good, but there could be something to the internals I don't know about checking. its designed to slip on acceleration then re engage when the engine rpm stabilizes.

If the fan shroud is on you will need a 3/3" socket, the 1/2 has been mentioned, i would use a small extension to keep your knuckles clear of the fan blade. I heavy pare of cutters or a knife to cut the fan belt will make it easy, ir the tools to remove the alternator, add a 9/16 and 1/2" wrench and socket to the box for that.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

You can't use any extensions on this job. All you can do is use a wrench. You have side access to the four nuts that hold the clutch on. No straight on access so no socket option. Leave the belts in place and tight to allow you to break the four nuts loose easier. Once you remove the four nuts, just tip the fan and clutch out of the shroud and lift it up. You'll likely have to push the upper radiator hose out of your way with one hand while you lift the fan out with the other.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
slow-1

When I worked as a parts puller in a junk yard in the mid 80's I carried 3 combo wrenches (1/4 up to 9/16, total of 6 sizes) and a small channel lock in my back pocket...I could get almost any small part with those...and a lot of big parts.

Go to a parts store and ask to see a fan clutch...take it out of the box and turn the two ends opposite directions to each other, then you know how a good one feels...it is kind of hard to express in words.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
WIDESIDE72

You shouldnt see a lot of oil on the clutch. That means its leaking and bad or soon bad. It should turn with some resistance and not wobble. Make sure the fan blades are straight, no dents or bends. I usually check for a bad one on running vehicles by placing a couple pieces of masking tape from the blades to the shroud and taking the truck for a drive, getting up to oeprating temp. Shut the engine off and check to see if the tape is broken loose. The fan clutch should have locked up and pulled loose if its good.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: How to tell if it's any good?

When checking the bone yard for a clutch remember to spin the fan blade and if it just spins free it's bad. U shouldn't get more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a full revolution if it's good.
I have to ask though why not go buy a new one and have the good warm fuzzy feeling!

Brand new at O-rielly's. $40.00

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3389&ppt=C0331

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
When checking the bone yard for a clutch remember to spin the fan blade and if it just spins free it's bad. U shouldn't get more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a full revolution if it's good.
I have to ask though why not go buy a new one and have the good warm fuzzy feeling!

Brand new at O-rielly's. $40.00

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3389&ppt=C0331
While a new clutch is a good idea the O.P. stated he needs the clutch and fan. Why not give the used clutch a shot since hes pulling it all anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: How to tell if it's any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
While a new clutch is a good idea the O.P. stated he needs the clutch and fan. Why not give the used clutch a shot since hes pulling it all anyway?
Posted via Mobile Device
The fan can be bought new also if u want it. Well at least last year it could. I got a new from the Chevy dealer.

Not saying not to but for the time spent in the yard going through all the fans u could have bought it and had installed.
I love yarding when I have time.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
68shortfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
Will any Chevy 18" fan clutch setup work, like on later year model yehicles?

Thanks,

Don't forget that almost anything GM with a serpentine belt drive will spin in the wrong direction for our trucks since they went to the reverse rotation water pump. I think that this eliminates everything from 88 and up in the trucks and maybe even earlier. Not sure when the cars went to the reverse rotation serpentine system.
68shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Steve Cole

Andy, I may end up buying a new one but for me it's more of the "thrill of the hunt". I love plundering around in junkyards looking for undiscovered treasures. My ultimate find would be a set of buddy buckets but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the tip 68shortfleet! I probably would not have thought about that.

NC_John, maybe oneday but for now, I just want it on the road.
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote