The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
cherokeejohn

72 C/10 5.7 carb.

i just got my first C/10 home last week, It is a 1 owner truck fresh from a 200 acre farm in rural Virginia. It has a target master 350 in it and a rebuilt turbo 350 trans. surprisingly he cab corners and floors are in good shape. It needs a carb rebuild but I am wondering if i can put a aftermarket on it. I came with the remote, or divorced choke and i don't know much about this. can i put a manual choke on it and hook it to the linkage, or do i have to get a intake to change the carb. I am not a fan of Q jets at all but again i don't know a whole lot about them, (just that they make me frustrated enough to set it on my 100 yard target block!). does anyone have any suggestions or advise to help me, would be greatly helpful ifso.:
cherokeejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
craig7070

Re: 72 C/10 5.7 carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeejohn View Post
i just got my first C/10 home last week, It is a 1 owner truck fresh from a 200 acre farm in rural Virginia. It has a target master 350 in it and a rebuilt turbo 350 trans. surprisingly he cab corners and floors are in good shape. It needs a carb rebuild but I am wondering if i can put a aftermarket on it. I came with the remote, or divorced choke and i don't know much about this. can i put a manual choke on it and hook it to the linkage, or do i have to get a intake to change the carb. I am not a fan of Q jets at all but again i don't know a whole lot about them, (just that they make me frustrated enough to set it on my 100 yard target block!). does anyone have any suggestions or advise to help me, would be greatly helpful ifso.:
I have the exact same truck and I took off my carb and put a Summitt racing 600 CFM carb which I bought from a co worker. You can get the same one new on there site for around 250 or you can get yours rebuilt.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
cherokeejohn

i looked at those but it didn't state anything about the remote choke, all that came up is manual or electric. will the manual hook up to the linkage on my intake?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
craig7070

Quote:
i looked at those but it didn't state anything about the remote choke, all that came up is manual or electric. will the manual hook up to the linkage on my intake?
Mine had the manual choke but I just disconnected it because the carb had an electric choke but I didnt connect it because I dont live in a cold environment. All the electric needs is a 12 v source.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
craig7070

This is the one I have

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...00vs/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...00vs/overview/
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Wrenchbender Ret

The electric or manual choke will work with any manifold. The square bore carb will not fit on a Q-jet manifold without an adapter. You will also need to modify the fuel line & throttle linkage.
Wrenchbender Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
cherokeejohn

thank you all for the intell. I actually bought a direct replacement carb from gauranteed carburators. the price was right, good warenty, and fast shipping. I bolted it on, hooked up the linkage and lines and the old girl fired right up, she smoked for a few mins, but to be expected after sittin for all those years
Old 09-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

I like a manual choke.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Just give it to me. I never miss!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
luvbowties

Smile Re: 72 C/10 5.7 carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I like a manual choke.
I gotta say I've seen customers who need such a fool-proof device. And I have nothing against them, either. First car had both a 'hand-choke' and a 'hand throttle'. I loved that setup.

Before EFI I used to tell my customers, whose automatic-choked-carbs I had just rebuilt, how to start their cars in the mornings. Told 'em to press accelerator ALL THE WAY to the floor, remove foot and "put it (foot) in your pocket", turn key until engine starts, slowly remove foot from pocket, bump accelerator gently one time to let engine slow down, put foot on brake, put car in gear, ease foot over to accelerator, and drive off--had to write it all down for some. Only had a few lady-customers to get angry with me and my instructions. And most of them got over it when their husbands followed them to their car a couple of mornings and verified to them that the directions were right on target!

Now, if I could just teach my wife to back up our driveway--only been here and using same driveway for 27 years. Mechanic'ing was fun; teaching school was what some call a job...
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
ajsfirehawk

Replaced my Rochester with an Edelbrock 600cfm with an electric choke. Love it. Idles like a dream, smooth on off throttle transition. Rochester desperately needed a rebuild. Really glad I bought the reconditioned Eddie. Really nice piece
ajsfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote