The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Brave71

Cost to paint

I am trying to get a ball park figure for a new paint job. I know there are many factors, if I had the truck all apart and didn't require body work, I am not building a show truck but I would like to have a nice paint job.maybe you guys could let me know what you paid . Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Brave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
HardKoreKustoms

Re: Cost to paint

our shop started at 5 grand but that was with it needing r&r if its apart you xan be looking at or around 1000-3000 for a basic bc/cc
Posted via Mobile Device
HardKoreKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
HardKoreKustoms

theres a placd in henderson nv called divine 1 customs give them a call
Posted via Mobile Device
HardKoreKustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
leddzepp

You will get numbers all over the place. Best thing to do is take it to several of your local shops and ask.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
vectorit
What?

I've had a few shop owners flat out double their estimate if I brought a basket case to them, as compared to a drive up and see/feel how every panel fit and worked together before tear down estimate.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Brave71

Thanks for your help! Some of the build trucks I look at spend thousands on their trucks and install a lot of parts before paint, I would think paint first?
Posted via Mobile Device
Brave71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave71 View Post
I am trying to get a ball park figure for a new paint job. I know there are many factors, if I had the truck all apart and didn't require body work, I am not building a show truck but I would like to have a nice paint job.maybe you guys could let me know what you paid . Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
The paint on my truck cost me a new four link suspension and a rebuild on the diff on the painters '69 Chevelle. I did his suspension work and he painted the truck. That's the real reason for joining a club and just being one of those guys everyone likes to talk to. When it was all over, I had 15K worth of paint IF I could have gotten a shop to do it AND if I didn't end up in "paint jail" for a year or so while the truck rusted out in the weather.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
big mike71

I paid 3 grand for mine.
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
briank

Bigmike 71, looks like you got a good deal I think anyways. What had to be done to your truck body wise before paint?
Posted via Mobile Device
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
c10boob

If you are just looking for a decent paint job for cheap you might also check some of your local vocational schools that teach auto painting. They may be able to use your truck as a project for the cost of materials.
c10boob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
hugger6933

I own a body shop, and have since 1987. I have had lots of people come to me with trucks/cars that were "ready to spray" and just wanted me to put some paint on it for them. they would tell me that is was real clean with do dents and soon but once you get to looking it was on its third paint that needed striped and started from bare metal up and they had wet sanded and could not understand. I am NOT saying that you don't know what you are talking about, or that you don't know your truck. Please don't take it that way,it is just that you and I will look at the same truck in a different way, meaning that I may catch something that may need attention that you don't. It will be better on you if you take the truck around to the places you are gonna try in a complete state and then discuss[ or maybe include in writing] what will be removed by you.
Now on another note I try to do the paint and body [at least the outside part] after the build is getting close to the end, or at least while everything is going together and not paint first then go to throwing a lot of parts at it. I don't guess there is a wrong build order it is just what you like and what your comfortable with but it cuts down on paint damage if you wait till later it the build stage for the paint and body.
now with that being said I am building three trucks this style and they are in different stages all but the body work is close on all and the last one has not even been dis assembled yet. Going that way I will have all three truck ready to go in the paint booth one behind the other. Jim
hugger6933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #12
bigmac73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I own a body shop, and have since 1987. I have had lots of people come to me with trucks/cars that were "ready to spray" and just wanted me to put some paint on it for them. they would tell me that is was real clean with do dents and soon but once you get to looking it was on its third paint that needed striped and started from bare metal up and they had wet sanded and could not understand. I am NOT saying that you don't know what you are talking about, or that you don't know your truck. Please don't take it that way,it is just that you and I will look at the same truck in a different way, meaning that I may catch something that may need attention that you don't. It will be better on you if you take the truck around to the places you are gonna try in a complete state and then discuss[ or maybe include in writing] what will be removed by you.
Now on another note I try to do the paint and body [at least the outside part] after the build is getting close to the end, or at least while everything is going together and not paint first then go to throwing a lot of parts at it. I don't guess there is a wrong build order it is just what you like and what your comfortable with but it cuts down on paint damage if you wait till later it the build stage for the paint and body.
now with that being said I am building three trucks this style and they are in different stages all but the body work is close on all and the last one has not even been dis assembled yet. Going that way I will have all three truck ready to go in the paint booth one behind the other. Jim

well Hugger ,
let me ask you about my next plan of attack, i want to remove the cab on my 72 and strip it down,
have the body shop replace the whole entire floor pan ( I have in garage all sheet metal) rockers, cab corners, and get my doors opening and closing like they came out of the factory prime , seal and install new front glass and shoot the inside of the cab.
does that sound like a big project for a body shop and what would think this would cost , ball park figure

when i get finished with the cab and the bed , then i would take it in again later on to paint the whole outside of the truck, being married with kids i have to do the truck in sections one at a time one system at a time, one month at time.
Progression Ignition /Holley 750 DP/3:73 gear Eaton Limited Slip unit / 2 1/2 exhaust glasspacks
bigmac73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac73 View Post
when i get finished with the cab and the bed , then i would take it in again later on to paint the whole outside of the truck, being married with kids i have to do the truck in sections one at a time one system at a time, one month at time.
I do all of my own work including the paint. I currently have a '67 and a '54 truck stripped down to the smallest piece. The '54 cab is on a rotisserie I fabricated. Both trucks need most of the floor replaced. Even the stepside beds are completely disassembled. Each part will be painted and clear coated before assembly. It requires careful handling but the painting is sure simple. It's just about impossible to get decent paint job on a stepside fender unless it's separate from the bed side panel.

But you asked about cost...
I will have about $1,200 in paint material in each truck. That doesn't include any labor, equipment, sheet metal, etc.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
big mike71

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
Bigmike 71, looks like you got a good deal I think anyways. What had to be done to your truck body wise before paint?
Posted via Mobile Device
It didn't need that much work. It had a few dings and rock chips.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
Tinkermc

Now that I have retired I have a small shop at home I'm doing a Ford truck for a friend. When I am done I will have at least $1000. in paint and material should finish this week.
I'm going to let him drive it for 90 days or so before cut and polish.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
Keith Seymore

$3200 at a local paint shop; me doing all the body work/prep and them spraying; Code 72 Apple Red in base coat clear coat. They turned it around in one week.

Please see my intro/build thread (linked below) for more details.

K

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
70CHEVYBB

I did all the body work my self including primer. I bought the paint and the body shop supplied the black sealer and urethane clear. I paid 2 grand and it turned out awesome. I have just over 3500 in the total paint job.
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Lee H

Material cost is a big factor just like labor, good, better, best. Last year my base coat, clear, primer, & thinner was $2,300. When doing all surfaces (inside cab, bed, under, etc) there is a lot of square footage with a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #19
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

$2500 in mine just in paint and primer and I did all the body work. That doesn't include the body filler, sandpaper, masking tape, wetsanding, buffing compound, pads, etc. Sprayed mine with Martin Senour Napa paint.

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #20
BrianG

Wow, what a range. I just got a quote for around $10K That was to replace the outer floor on each side, plus a and b pillar bottoms, kick panel and rockers (I have all new metal), then paint and put back together... that seemed like a lot, but also not really. Seems like a lot of work to me.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote