The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
swamp rat

brake line bending.

I have brake line bending tools and have made small bends no problem, pretty soon i'll be bending some large diameter bends, will brake lines bend without collapsing if bent by hand i'm guessing about a 12 or 13" radius?? and if memory serves the lines are 5/16 dia. Thanks!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: brake line bending.

-
I wouldn't think that kind of radius would be a problem by hand if you take it slow and work back and forth on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I have brake line bending tools and have made small bends no problem, pretty soon i'll be bending some large diameter bends, will brake lines bend without collapsing if bent by hand i'm guessing about a 12 or 13" radius?? and if memory serves the lines are 5/16 dia. Thanks!
A radius that large is easy to bend by hand. Gentle pressure works best. Here's a trick for you just in case. If you need to take the bend back out or work out the radius get a cotton handkerchief. Fold it in half and grip the hanky and the tube in your strong hand and squeeze. Then push and pull the handkerchief along the bend quickly while you squeeze it HARD. The friction will cause the tube to heat up making the inner radius of the bend expand reducing the radius. Do it long enough and you can completely straighten the tube and it will be arrow straight.

For all you guys who like to argue, go to your nearest golf pro shop and ask them how they straighten the shaft on a bent golf club. I don't want to hear from you until after you've done that.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
RustyBucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
A radius that large is easy to bend by hand. Gentle pressure works best. Here's a trick for you just in case. If you need to take the bend back out or work out the radius get a cotton handkerchief. Fold it in half and grip the hanky and the tube in your strong hand and squeeze. Then push and pull the handkerchief along the bend quickly while you squeeze it HARD. The friction will cause the tube to heat up making the inner radius of the bend expand reducing the radius. Do it long enough and you can completely straighten the tube and it will be arrow straight.

For all you guys who like to argue, go to your nearest golf pro shop and ask them how they straighten the shaft on a bent golf club. I don't want to hear from you until after you've done that.

SHHhhh!, Listen...... that SWOOSHING sound you hear is the sound of all the guys that read this forum tightly gripping a length of bent steel tubing wrapped tightly in their folded cotton hankies in their strong hands trying to STROKE the bend out of it....

I'm KIDDIN'... I've got several pieces of tubing in the shop I've mis-bent. I'll try it.
Current toy trucks:
'71 GMC 1500 SUPER CUSTOM short/step, orig. dk. blue, 350/700r, ps,pb, A/C
'72 Blazer 2wd, ochre & white, 454, tremecTKO 500 5spd. ps, pb, A/C, tilt

Last 10yrs of hobby vehicles, had a FEW more in the 50yrs. before these:
'66 Plymouth Belvedere City of Miami cop car clone.
'70 Nova 406"sb, 13.5-1, solid roller, Brodix, p.glide/t.brake, back halved, 9" Ford, spool 4.88, cage,ladder bar/coilover, 10.5 tire....... SOLD!!
'67 C10 short/step side mount spare -- SOLD!!
'72 Jimmy 2wd, 350/350, ps, pb, fun driver, lots of bondo & a shiny red paint job..... SOLD!!
'69 Nova 350, 4spd, A/C, ps, p.b, ...SOLD!!
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
steelhorse

I replace brake lines all the time and usually use my hands for all but the tightest bends.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhorse View Post
I replace brake lines all the time and usually use my hands for all but the tightest bends.
Yep, me too. If in doubt, you can slide the tube along a large diameter pcv pipe or similar. I've done that too.

In response to Fitz: Hopefully we don't argue here. We respond with what may be construed as contradictory statements. (Personally sounds like a good method you mentioned.)

And word to the wise for others, don't post a negative and assume positive responses.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
swamp rat

Wow, i'm pretty thick skinned so no worries here.

I just want to make a perfect radius to match my Eaton diff if possible and not have it look like a bent here-bent there half assed piece of crap.

Thanks for the help, but i don't have a hanky so if i have to straighten it out then i guess i'm screwed...

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote