The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2003, 02:10 PM   #1
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

What oil pan gasket?

I have a one piece rear main 305 in my '86. Like a crate engine, the block is drilled for a left or right side dipstick. Because of this, the block and the pan have the little bulge for the dipstick on BOTH sides.

I replaced the pan gasket with the Fel-pro one piece gasket that the book said it should use, but it only has the bulge for the dipstick on one side. The gasket had a big leak in the spot where the bulge was on the driver's side. I lost 2 quarts of oil in about 150 miles.

The auto parts store can't come up with a gasket for it. The only gasket they can find with the dipstick bulge on both sides is for an '85, and it does not fit my pan. I think it is for a 2 piece rear main.

Does anyone know a Fel-pro number for the gasket I need? My next step will be to go to the dealer. I'm sure they will have a gasket for it, but their hours are bad and their prices are really high.

Slonaker
Old 12-05-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

call the dealer they can give ya a number and the auto parts dealer can convert it

I looked in mmy napa thing and the gaskets are the same whether you have the F or H vin number and are as follows

Napa Sealtech Gasket
# SGA OS496 $16.49

Napa Oil Pan Gasket Cork
# NGA OS32471 TC $45.99

Napa Original Type (steel backbone)
# NGA OS32496B $36.49

Napa Original Type ( no steel backbone)
# NGA OS32496 $35.49

Hope that info helps and ya can double check it at Napa Online

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:56 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I looked them all up on the NAPA website. All but one had photos. They all just have the spot for the dipstick on one side like at the top of the photo below. I need one at the bottom and at the top, as my excellent artwork shows. BTW, that isn't my face drawn there. I don't have that much hair.

Slonaker
Attached Images

Last edited by Slonaker; 12-05-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Felpro doesn't make a dual dipstick one piece gasket for a one piece seal engine. As you know they do make one for a two piece seal. Only option you have is to swap oil pans to the single passenger side dipstick. That is, if you are wanting to use a one piece gasket.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:18 PM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I don't know if a different pan would even fit since the block has the hump on both sides.

I'll probably see what the dealer has to offer. With what they get for their stuff, I might be able to buy a new pan and gasket.

Slonaker
Old 12-05-2003, 03:29 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

A regular pan will work. I have the GM Goodwrench 350, which has dual dipstick locations. I have a Moroso 7 qt. pan on it which has the passenger side dipstick. The hole is plugged if you are not using it. The pan rail on the block has a straight section too, so the gasket will seal with a straight pan on that side.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:43 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Thanks, Swervin. That is good info.

Slonaker
Old 12-05-2003, 05:30 PM   #8
teamroper!

GM parts catalog says
gasket, oil pan 14101149 C1 305F(LF3)(GOODWRENCH)
try that and see if it works.
teamroper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 06:06 PM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Thanks. I checked gmpartsdirect.com. They list it, but don't show a picture. It is about $40 shipped, with a list of 50-something dollars. My local dealer only gives me 15% off list, and that is after several purchases.

For that I can almost buy a replacement pan and a Fel-pro gasket. I'm afraid I'm going to be hitting the junkyards this weekend.

Slonaker
Old 12-05-2003, 07:27 PM   #10
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Do you not still have the Felpro gasket you said leaked? They don't go bad you know?
Old 12-05-2003, 07:42 PM   #11
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
Felpro doesn't make a dual dipstick one piece gasket for a one piece seal engine.
yes they do, i just installed one on my 86 305. i'm not sure of the number, because it came as part of a gasket kit.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:09 PM   #12
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Do you have a one piece rear main engine in your '86? I can find one that fits 85 and down with the two piece rear main , but not '86.

I'm about to give $57 for it at the dealer, and I'd rather not...

Slonaker
Old 12-08-2003, 04:35 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Only one dealer between here and Austin has the part I need, and he refuses to sell it for less than full price. GMPartsdirect.com has it for $32.11 plus shipping. I have already had the truck apart for a week trying to track this thing down, and I don't want to wait. The dealer who has it is near my wife's work, so she will pick it up for me on the way home from work. It will cost me $56.33 plus tax. Ouch!

Slonaker
Old 12-08-2003, 04:51 PM   #14
loweredd
www.loweredd.com

OS34500R is probably the one you have that leaked. That is the ONLY one shown in Fel-Pro's book. Car OR truck. No diff.

We sell new Milodon oil pans here, for one piece rear mains, but they are about $98. #30702. I could sell it for 85.56, but you might as well go get the gasket. .

I called my buddy at the Chevy dealer, and he said that that is a one year beast, and Goodwrench is the only place you can get the gasket. The above # you checked at parts direct is the correct #, I can get it less than the dealer will give it to you for, but with my tax and shipping, you might as well get the gasket from parts direct.
loweredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:19 PM   #15
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Man, for that much, I would find a used pan at the junkyard or something. No way I would give the dealer 56 bucks for a damned oil pan gasket. I feel sure you could find a used pan for 10 or 15 dollars and then buy a Felpro gasket for around 20 to 25.

Sometimes the dealers gripe my arse.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 12-08-2003, 06:11 PM   #16
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

This has been really frustrating...

OS34500R is the one that leaked, and it leaked a lot. My rear bumper is oily. You can imagine how the bottom of the truck looks.

I looked into new pans. The Milodon is a little too expensive for an old 305. When it goes out, it will be replaced by a an old style 350, and then the pan would be useless. Auto Zone could get me one for $45 special order, but if it does not fit, I'm out the money. I was concerned about the fit of a cheap replacement pan anyway. Auto Zone's suppliers seem to be able to screw up everything they touch.

I strongly considered getting a used pan. I am not absolutlely sure it will fit, though I suspect it will since yours did on your two piece seal block, Swervin. Unfortunately, I messed up my ankle last weekend at the junkyard, and still didn't feel up to walking around one looking for the right pan on Saturday morning when that was an option.

I decided to just bite the bullet, and pay the cash. I just wish I had know it would be this difficult. I could have mail ordered it last week when this ordeal began, and it would already be here.

Slonaker
Old 12-08-2003, 06:29 PM   #17
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Well, believe me, I understand how this stuff goes. It seems if anything goes as planned on these trucks, it's a mistake.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Get the gasket and be done with it. It will all be over and you can go on to better things. Good luck with it.