The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Sundy

Steering Play

I have, compared to my 2007 Honda Pilot, a humongous amount of play in my steering wheel. Sitting still it travels about 10 inches before I feel any resstace. At the steerng box I can rotate the shaft about a quarter turn freely before the gears inside touch.

I've read dfferent opinions about adjusing this. Some say that adjusting the gear box can cause the steering to lock up. But this much play seems excessive. I got a little terrified the other day going down a hill with a curve in it, I drifted into the other lane and barely swam back to my lane. Not graceful at all.

What do you guys suggest?

66 C10 Pickup, manual steering.
Sundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: Steeing Play - How Much?

Start with a full suspension inspection..much play can be in worn tierods and ball joints/idler/pitman. Fix and align and then see if the steering box and rag joint need additional attention.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Sundy

OK, will do, I'm sure there's something there that needs attention. But other components aside, how much free play should there be in the steering box itself?
Old 09-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Its more a measurement of torque applied at the steering wheel. Adjustment and allowable inch pounds of force are detailed in Motors/Haynes manuals. Don't have em with me.

If its got riveted on upper ball joints, they are originals and I'd start with a suspension ovehaul before worryin about the steering box and its adjustments. If the suspension is worn you can adjust the steering box till its nearly jammed tight and it won't make a difference in safe driveability. From there, you'll get it realigned and the pro can opine whether or not to adjust or replace the box and/or rag joint during the alignment. The majority of that drift in turns is going to be in the total suspension package, start by evaluating that and work your way up and back to the steering wheel.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Sundy

Well for ~10 inches of steering wheel movement there are zero pounds of anything, I can turn it with a straw. Then it engages in the gear box and I get resistance and with some muscle the wheels begin to move. This is while sitting in the garage.

I haven't looked at this at all with the wheels off the ground. I'll put it up on stands on the frame and find where anything has play. As it stands now the only looseness is in the gear box. It might just be the weight of the truck making everything else feel solid. But there's definitely free travel in the gear box. Don't know how much, if any, is normal.

Thanks!!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Well, not there with ya and its hard to say but sure sounds like the entire suspension and linkage is so worn out that the truck should be parked pending complete overhaul. That much play is likely an accident and injury waiting to happen. But, again, most of that "10" inches of movement/slop is most likely to be discovered in the tie rods/idler/pitman and ball joints. My guess is you have a high mileage original suspension. Luck!
Old 09-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
tincan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundy View Post
I have, compared to my 2007 Honda Pilot, a humongous amount of play in my steering wheel. Sitting still it travels about 10 inches before I feel any resstace. At the steerng box I can rotate the shaft about a quarter turn freely before the gears inside touch.

I've read dfferent opinions about adjusing this. Some say that adjusting the gear box can cause the steering to lock up. But this much play seems excessive. I got a little terrified the other day going down a hill with a curve in it, I drifted into the other lane and barely swam back to my lane. Not graceful at all.

What do you guys suggest?

66 C10 Pickup, manual steering.
I think you are dead on about suspecting the steering gears. I would research a Motors or Chilton's manual about the slack adjustment and go from there.
You need to get that firmly assessed before going thru anything else.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Sundy

Cool. The rest of the steering components don't come into play until after the gear box has done it's thing. Looking at other talks on this subject I may as well jump to the end and buy a rebuilt gear box. Seems they just wear out over time. I haven't found specs yet on play or preload.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
66Submarine

http://www.66submarine.com/67truckmanualsteeringbox.pdf

Here's a scan of the '67 Chevrolet manual on steering boxes I uploaded to my website. If you need any extra help just shoot me an email. (I personally just adjust until the play is gone and I can feel a very slight bit of preload, FWIW)
66Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Sundy

Awsome, thank you.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Sundy

Thanks, I did that. It looks good, feels solid. I've see pictures of these in various stages of decay, mine looks good.

....where did that guys quesion about the rag joint go?
Old 09-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
1966shortwide

here i am , have someone turn the wheel inside end to end back and forth hard don't start engine , and you can get under neath and watch all component's for slop , still look at the mentioned rag joint they can still flex under load, check pitman arm joint and as mentioned , this won't show ball joint play ,but it will all linkage only , of course you still have to inspect all other component's. unless gearbox is very sloppy, sound's like something very loose and dangerous.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Sundy

I usally use my 6 year old to help with two man tasks. He was great for bleeding the breaks. I'll need someone bigger to turn this wheel.

Dangerous is right. I won't be driving this on an occupied road again until it's safe.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
1966shortwide

if it is gear box slop , loosen jamb nut on adjustment bolt and start turning in bolt clockwise a half turn at a tine , you should start to notice less slop in wheel as you turn adjustment bolt in . hold a wrench on the nut while turning the bolt in as sometime's the nut turn's with the bolt if it is rusty. 'if free play get's less just turn till you a small amount of play , if you get it too tight your gear box will be sticky in the dead center position, and simply loosen it back up a little , if this don't take the slop out of box then i would suggest a different gear box.

Last edited by 1966shortwide; 09-27-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
1966shortwide

as i mentioned , when checking loose part's when someone turn's wheel don't jack up truck it will be easier to see loose part's that way.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
jtrichard

i dont know if he still has it or not but try this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595935
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
tincan1966

Some thing I've seen in the past and forgot to mention - make sur ethe whole steering box is tight on the frame. I have seen them loose and also the frame being cracked around the steering mounting location.
Like said above, having someone rock the wheel back and forth while looking at the components will be a good quick inspection of what's going on.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
Sundy

I'll check that, haven't had a chance to get under it again yet. This truck is an off and on project. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Sundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichard View Post
i dont know if he still has it or not but try this http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595935
Thanks for the link. I shot him a message.