The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
MalibuSSwagon

Window seal kit

In need of a complete window seal kit including inner and outer sweeps and window run channels. Also need the vent window seals. My seals are rotted and disintegrating.

Looking for recommendations on best source for these pieces.

Thanks
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
wraprail

Re: Window seal kit

Got mine from Tuckers Classic here in Henderson NV. Seems like top quality stuff. Fit was perfect and price was great.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
tucsonjwt

Do not buy on Ebay. There is a big difference in quality among the various suppliers. I would start with checking GM OEM prices online.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
oldwagon

I got mine from GMCPaul's and I was real happy with their service and the items I ordered.
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
MalibuSSwagon

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll check them out. Looking to paint the truck in the next couple weeks, so I need this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Do not buy on Ebay. There is a big difference in quality among the various suppliers. I would start with checking GM OEM prices online.
Yea eBay is generally China junk. You wouldn't happen to have the GM part numbers? I wish GM made it easy to look this stuff up.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
itranwheniparkedit

I purchased a kit from Classic Parts and plan on installing it this weekend. The window kit included the inner and outer sweepers and window track felt for both doors. Price was middle of the road. I'll let you know how the quality was after they're put in.

Also ordered the vent window seals from them...
itranwheniparkedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
swb85
On a budget like Fred Sanford

Got mine from LMC and they worked great.
swb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

I don't have the GM part numbers - I usually try Rock Auto's catalog to see if they have the part numbers cross listed in their descriptions. Maybe another forum member can help with this.

The ebay parts I bought were supposedly from Taiwan (where LMC gets a lot of their parts, based on my experience.) The quality of the material was not bad, but the size and fit was way off - gaps on the ends of the window sweeps, door weatherstrip too short, etc.

I have head that SoftSeal makes good parts, but when I checked they were more than twice the price of Ebay. Since I drive my beast once a week or so, I could not see making a big investment in rubber - big mistake.

If you buy GM OEM rubber it will still most likely be made in China, but I think the quality standard would make it the proper size and fit. I bought OEM GM motor mounts and torsion mount for my 2000 Cavalier and they were made in China, but the quality of the rubber looked good and the parts lined up correctly with the mounting holes. My complaint was that even the online OEM price was about 40% more than aftermarket - maybe I got the "good" China parts

I heard a news report about a broker for American companies buying parts made in China and he said that Chinese manufacturers promise 80% of the quality at 50% of the price. Lately, that 50% price part is no longer true.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Hevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb85 View Post
Me too, fit perfect and good quality.
Hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
I don't have the GM part numbers - I usually try Rock Auto's catalog to see if they have the part numbers cross listed in their descriptions. Maybe another forum member can help with this.

The ebay parts I bought were supposedly from Taiwan (where LMC gets a lot of their parts, based on my experience.) The quality of the material was not bad, but the size and fit was way off - gaps on the ends of the window sweeps, door weatherstrip too short, etc.

I have head that SoftSeal makes good parts, but when I checked they were more than twice the price of Ebay. Since I drive my beast once a week or so, I could not see making a big investment in rubber - big mistake.

If you buy GM OEM rubber it will still most likely be made in China, but I think the quality standard would make it the proper size and fit. I bought OEM GM motor mounts and torsion mount for my 2000 Cavalier and they were made in China, but the quality of the rubber looked good and the parts lined up correctly with the mounting holes. My complaint was that even the online OEM price was about 40% more than aftermarket - maybe I got the "good" China parts

I heard a news report about a broker for American companies buying parts made in China and he said that Chinese manufacturers promise 80% of the quality at 50% of the price. Lately, that 50% price part is no longer true.
Well, it costs more to make quality parts, no matter where its made. I'm sure you know that. Might be able to get my buddy to look up the parts, he's a parts driver at a local dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy View Post
Me too, fit perfect and good quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swb85 View Post
Thats good to know. I was originally going to buy from LMC, but I was worried about the fit, finish, and of course price. I didn't want to over-pay for an inferior quality part.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Low87
been here longer than Liz

I buy from Chris/CaptKaos whenever he has what I'm looking for. He's pretty meticulous about only sourcing quality stuff.
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Pretty sure he has the window kits.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
GM-power

Presicion restoration parts is a vendor here I believe. I would also check them out.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

Some nice videos on youtube from 1A auto on weatherstripping replacement. I had good luck with buying from 1A auto. I think most vendors are OK to deal with nowadays.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low87 View Post
I buy from Chris/CaptKaos whenever he has what I'm looking for. He's pretty meticulous about only sourcing quality stuff.
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Pretty sure he has the window kits.
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...gory_Code=WTHR

Thats a screaming deal, includes the door weather strips too! I'll be ordering that up.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Duster

I have a set from both LMC and Classic Auto Parts of America. The CAPoA felts were not as good as the LMC felts. The felt started coming off a couple months after install. The window sweeps were the same. I think you can get the whole kit from LMC for 100 bucks both sides. That is what I would get. And if you decide to tackle the vent windows. DO NOT order them from LMC. They have them listed wrong. CAPoA has the correct listings. Just FYI.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
Paul83

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibusswagon View Post
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...gory_code=wthr

thats a screaming deal, includes the door weather strips too! I'll be ordering that up.
x2

I like long walks on the beach, dinner by candle light, and poking dead things with a stick.
Paul83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
JellyBeanDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
And if you decide to tackle the vent windows. DO NOT order them from LMC. They have them listed wrong. CAPoA has the correct listings. Just FYI.
How so? One piece vs 2? or something else?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #18
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanDriver View Post
How so? One piece vs 2? or something else?
Some companies simply do not list the 81-85 two piece style. However, if you have this 2 piece style you must replace it with the same or you will have problems.

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #19
ozkiwi

Quote:
Some nice videos on youtube from 1A auto on weatherstripping replacement. I had good luck with buying from 1A auto. I think most vendors are OK to deal with nowadays.

How to Install Replace Weatherstrip & Window 73-87 Chevy GMC Pickup Truck & SUV part 1 1AAuto.com - YouTube
I bought this from these guys http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Weatherstri...27/443903/1986

but the fit was not as good as hoped for. It is just glued on the back part were the vent widow opens compared to 4 clips that hold it firmly in place on the original.It shut the whistling up but is still noisy when at free way speed.I would recommend the 2 piece kit for the vent window and GM if you can get it.I will be re-doing this at some stage .
ozkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #20
PDXChevy

So, what is going to be diff on my 77?

1981-1991 Door Seal kit. Contains Run Channels, Inner and Outer scrapers, and Press on Door Seals (goes on Cab) for BOTH doors!
PDXChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #21
8lugnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM-power View Post
Presicion restoration parts is a vendor here I believe. I would also check them out.
X2 on Precision

Great parts, great fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

My wife told me I spent too much time on Facebook. So I bought an old truck. Now she wishes I was on Facebook, it was cheaper.
8lugnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
MalibuSSwagon

I ended up buying the precision kit from CaptKaos. I'll be fitting them to the truck next week once it's painted.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
Thumper01

I got mine from brothers. Hope to install it this weekend.
Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

BROTHERS, great fit and seal
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
gmachinz
Account Suspended

You can still get the outers for the 81-up trucks from gmpartsdirect.com I've bought several sets in the last year.....roughly $55-65 each if memory serves. They are genuine GM....made in Canada.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote