The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
ReeseBobby

1200 mile road trip - and overheating question

Well, I've had my truck (1970 C/20 4WD) for just about six months now, and I finally have her in a state to take a long road trip. This past week I drove her out to our hunting camp in Eastern Oregon. Way east. The trip was 473 miles each way, and lots of driving on BLM roads and off road during the hunt. I had swapped out the axles from the original 4.56 with drums and replaced them with 3.73's with front discs. On the highway I ran a steady 65 mph the whole time with nary a complaint. In the mud, she ran like a top, and you couldn't get her stuck if you wanted to. I had installed FatMat thru the whole truck and then put about 45 square feet of closed cell foam and MLV under the vinyl floormat. I have dual Flowmaster 50's, so she wasn't quiet, but it was manageable. At surface street speeds, she sounds fantastic. I installed a radio with indoor/outdoor speakers under the bench seat that worked via Bluetooth off my phone, so I hardly noticed the drone. Although it reminded me of being in an airplane and made my wife fall asleep.

The only problem I ran into is the one I need advice on. I don't have an overflow bottle on my radiator. On the way home, when I stopped for gas, I noticed antifreeze was overflowing out the tube onto the ground. I didn't think it was a big deal until the truck started to overheat. When I stopped, a ton of fluid was venting out the tube. I let it cool, and found the radiator was almost empty of fluid. I had filled it with about 30 oz. prior to leaving camp, so that's how much I lost on the whole drive there. I added water back to the radiator, and when I started her back up, the temp immediately went back to normal. I drove her the rest of the way home without a problem. However, the radiator was way down again by the time I got home. I notice the bottom of the radiator is cool, but the top is too hot to touch.

If I add an overflow bottle to the radiator, would this solve the problem, or is it something else? I don't know if the heat and run-off is a function of the long drive on the highway, or something has failed. Any advise would be appreciated. As I know you all love pics, I will post a couple of the old girl at camp. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

ReeseBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
ReeseBobby

Re: 1200 mile road trip - and overheating question

Won't let me submit more pics! Dangit!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

When you mention that the bottom of the rqdiator is co but the top is hot, i have to wonder if the radiator is clogged. Hiway driving should not make the engine overheat. You get the most airflow at that time.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
davischevy

I had a similar problem with my Corvette. Temp would be ok as long as I was moving, but if I got in traffic, or idling it would heat. It has an overflow tank, but it would puke, even through the tank

Turned out it was the thermostat. Apparently it was stuck partially open. I got one at O'reilly that was guaranteed not to stick and solved my problem.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
ItsRandy

Check to be sure you have the correct pound rated pressure cap and it is in good shape. The temp difference between the top and bottom of the radiator has me a bit puzzled. There will be a hot and "cooler" but still hot side on a crossflow radiator, but cooler on the bottom than top...you got me.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
ReeseBobby

Another
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Artikgrau325is

I had the hot/cold issue with my radiator before, turns out I didn't massage the hoses enough to get all the air out, and the timing on my motor was waaaayyy off. Doesn't explain a coolant leak though.
Artikgrau325is is offline   Reply With Quote