The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2003, 03:41 PM   #1
sukes84

saddle tanks

i have a set of saddle tanks on my 72 (the ones with the big galvanized access doors on each side) and i was wondering if they were a factory option. im gona take them off of my pickup and i was also wondering if they have any value? thanks
sukes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
VTKidder

I don't believe they were a factory option. They were either a dealer installed option, or an aftermarket company installed it. A friend has a a '71 F-100 with dual saddle tanks, and I cannot for the life of me remember what the company's name is on the inside of each door. It was a cool sticker though.

I think they do have some worth. Couldn't tell you how much though; I'd try to keep the straps, tanks, lines and switch beside the seat in good shape. I haven't seen very many trucks with 2 tanks. Seen a lot with 1 though.
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
Duffy

Saddle Tanks

Although I'm sure there was more than one company that built tanks, the most popular was called Travel Tanks, Ontario California. The blue sticker is on the inside each door. I had to replace a door on my '72 and I found a nice donor on a mid 60's F#@$ 1/2 ton.

I also have a switch on the dash that changes from left to center to right tank. Each saddle tank has an optional sending unit that is wired into the fuel gauge on the dash so I can see how much gas is left in each tank. Right above the tank switch is the same blue sticker that says "Travel Tanks".

I have had a lot of these trucks, and have looked at tons more, but this is the only one that had the switchable sending units. Anyone else get that option?

Duff
Old 12-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
Vince M

My old 4x4 had the factory installed saddle tank on the drivers side. It was a duplicate of the main tank filler. It was mounted up high and level with the main tank. It also had the switch for the sending units but it also matched the knobs on the dash with a laminate sticker showing which tank. It was listed on the options sticker in the glove box.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:10 PM   #5
68CST327

Re: Saddle Tanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Duffy
I have had a lot of these trucks, and have looked at tons more, but this is the only one that had the switchable sending units. Anyone else get that option?

Duff
I have dual saddle tanks with the dash switch also. Check out my signature for a link to a picture. I've been thinking about ditching the tanks and the dash switch and all that since my truck isn't being used as a camper anymore, but it seems kind of rare, so I don't know.
68CST327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #6
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

I also have the dual saddle tanks and the switch for the them as well. Wasn't really looking for them but the truck was solid so that's the way it is. Would rather not have them but since they are there im not gonna take them out, for now at least...
Old 12-08-2003, 11:22 PM   #7
cableguy0

i have the saddle tank on both sides. with the manual operated floor switch. they just cut holes in the bed sides and put the fuel doors there im guessing its a deal option. but i do not have sending units on the side tanks just the one in the cab
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:39 AM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Mine was like cableguys...had one extra tank ont he old longhorn, a knob ont he floor (which i think I actually sent to cableguy a couple years ago) and no switch for the guage. I know mine was not a factory installed, but it was installed at the dealership.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:01 AM   #9
Baradium
Binder Rep

Why are all of you guys wanting to ditch the tanks?

The ones with the doors are aftermarket. Neat to have IMO but they don't seem to fetch much. I'd say keep it all intact for someone who wants them, but don't expect to make a killing off of them, not specific to the 67-72 chevys and not much of a demand for them that I've seen.

I'm looking to add some factory aux tanks to the panel truck. I can bolt on two more tanks easily, but I think I'll just go with one.

I'd add on to the '70 if they were this easy, if I came across a setup I might add another tank anyways. Nice on longer trips or hauling. I already wish I had more capacity than 19 gallons in the scout, so I'm trying to fix that with the panel beforehand. I'll worry about the '70 when I get it to the point of taking it on long trips.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:47 AM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I have twin saddle tanks from Travel Tanks, with a manual valve on the floor for plumbing, and the switch on the dash for the gauge (sending unit in each tank). With the cab tank, I have put in just over 50 gallons at one fillup.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:06 AM   #11
krazy_texan

i dont have any but in the next year i plan to put some on my truck or atleast one as i do travel alot and could really use the extra capacity.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #12
slam33

OldSkool71 if you ever decide to loose them, let me know. I want to do a twin setup on mine

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 03:01 PM   #13
lewi

Add me to the list. I have the aftermarket at the dealership version. The best thing to do is what I did. Removed the aluminum door flaps and replace them with fuel doors from the mid 1980's chevy trucks, makes them much cleaner, better looking and still very usable with both tanks available. Ad the electric switch and whallooa. With the flip of the switch your fuel gauge reads either tank as it switches from one to the other.

Built to use, and look good.
lewi is offline   Reply With Quote