The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
pdawg

Question Fuel Gauge

I need some help with a non-functioning fuel gauge. I printed a trouble shooting guide that was great, but still don't have a clue what's up! Removed wire at the tank & gauge goes to full. Grounded send unit wire & gage goes to empty. I have replaced the send unit (twice) but I checked it with an ohm meter after removing it again, just to be sure, & it checks out ok. I have tried grounding the sent unit, checked voltage at the gauge, grounded the gauge & still can't figure it out. Anybody know if I'm missing something? It would be most helpful to have a working gauge while trying to tune the Holley carb on my new motor (that's a whole other saga!) Many thanks!
Perry
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
pdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
jdm0068

Re: Fuel Gauge

I had this problem. It turned out my float didn't float any more. I took one off another sending unit and attached it to the sending unit for the truck for a short term fix.
jdm0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
pdawg

I guess I've checked everything else so I may as well pull it out and try that. It was a new unit so I assumed it would be good, but you're right - I should check it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

have you checked the sending unit flange to tank ground and the tank to frame ground?

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Dnrice

Where are those grounds? Mine shows full almost all the time and then when close to empty, it bounces around.
Dnrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
cool68

I have not found ground wires from tank to cab - where to look? another thread says to be sure that the gauge cluster is grounded to cab. something about resistors in gauge also.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
pdawg

Thanks for the reply! I couldn't find a ground from the tank to the cab, but it is bolted in several places - so I just ran an extra cab to chassis ground to make sure. I've heard about the resistors on the gauge cluster too, but I want to pull the send unit and physically move it through the motion ( while grounded ) to see if I'm getting a reading. I've heard of floats having tiny holes in them, even when brand new! Hopefully our weather holds out hear so I can check it out before storage time!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
CBrown680

My gauge had the same issue. I checked the ground, especially at the door jamb, found out it was the float. It had a pin hole and was full of gas! Ordered a new plastic one from the parts house. Believe it was for a jeep but it worked out great! Hope this helps!
CBrown680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
pdawg

Thanks for the tip! I knew I saw a remark about the pinhole in the float before! It likely was you! Whatever would we do if these problems didn't keep popping up! God forbid we would just be able to cruise in our projects!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Don Quixote

I had the same issue and after much troubleshoting, I found it was an invisible pin hole in the float. A new one was backordered but a heart medication bottle worked well until my new float came in!

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
pdawg

Thanks for the tip! Wow - that is being resourceful!
I'm going to pull my sending unit out hopefully this weekend @ see if it registers properly while manually cycling through the motions. I'll post the results.