The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
Pflugerman

Donor for 1969 Chevy

I have a 1969 Chevy Step Side with six lug and drums. I am considering the 6 lug to 5 lug conversion and going disc. Can someone tell me what would be a good donor vehicle for this? Which Suburban, van or blazer will work for a donor? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Donor for 1969 Chevy

I prefer 88-91 Suburbans for several reasons.

They're newer, so hopefully less chance of worn or damaged components.

Suburbans are often soccer mom trucks so they lead easier lives in general compared to trucks.

Suburbans will have the heavier duty brakes from and rear, which are hit and miss on trucks.

Suburbans almost always have a sway bar from the factory.

Same with power steering.

All from 87 and newer have EFI.

The left over parts are very marketable compared to truck parts. The interior parts and front sheetmetal is pure gold to the 73-87 guys so you can easily recover some of your money back out when you're done. 88-91 Suburbans had that front clip that so many guys want to retrofit to earlier 73-87 trucks. Suburbans very often had buckets and consoles. Again, more booty to resell in the end to get your money back.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Unless you're wanting wheels that you can't get in your current lug pattern, or you haul a ton if weight and go down lots of steep canyon roads, IMHO disc brakes are over rated on these trucks.

Get a power brake booster with your current configuration, and you'll probably find as I did that it stops beautifully

If you DO decide to go the disc brake route, TX obviously really knows his stuff
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #4
Syndrome

IMO its worth switching over to disc brakes for the ease of use. Switching pads and rotors is simple compared to servicing drum brakes. And I would rather have the peace of mind knowing that the disc brake is going to work better in wet conditions, and in extreme braking conditions. I wish all drum brakes would cease to exist on every vehicle.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
IMO its worth switching over to disc brakes for the ease of use. Switching pads and rotors is simple compared to servicing drum brakes. And I would rather have the peace of mind knowing that the disc brake is going to work better in wet conditions, and in extreme braking conditions. I wish all drum brakes would cease to exist on every vehicle.

So I take it you've switched your rear drum to disc too?
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Syndrome

I haven't yet, but its on my list. I haven't done much to my truck as of yet other than trying to get my motor running nicely. I've almost got enough money saved up to do disc on all 4.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/chevrolet-c1...item35c2b974f2

Price comes out to 1150 after shipping for 4 wheel discs, power booster, and spindles(drop or stock). All you would need to do is build some brake lines which aren't to terribly expensive and your whole brake system would be brand new.

Even if you don't do the rears then I would do the fronts to disc for sure.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
hugger6933

I would consider doing the upgrade just once to save money if you are wanting 4 wheel disc wait until you have the money saved for that so that you aren't replacing parts you just recently put on with a front disc conversion such as combo valve and lines. The parking park [if used ] is another consideration. I would hate to see you waste your money on that, just to spend more again. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
In The Ten Ring

I haven't driven my '72 very much in the 20 years I've owned it (but not had it) but I never once had to hard brake. Of course, the 3 speed 4:11 rear end had a lot to do with me going so slow. LOL
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflugerman View Post
I have a 1969 Chevy Step Side with six lug and drums. I am considering the 6 lug to 5 lug conversion and going disc. Can someone tell me what would be a good donor vehicle for this? Which Suburban, van or blazer will work for a donor? Thanks.
Since you've decided you want to run disc brake up front,I'd take TX's advise on 88-91 Suburbans,or earlier. You don't get the modern grille but usually they are dual light with a good grille. Any C10 will work
The 88+ A-frame can swap. You could use the light duty 2500 for 6-lugs if you wanted to stay 6-lug,or swap the 6-lug 14-bolt 9.5".

I agree drum brakes are fine. Discs are easier to service,which is a good thing because I have to service calipers a whole lot more than wheel cylinders. Those who feel drum brakes have no place on the road,take a look at what stops that semi-truck behind you.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Pflugerman

I have my drums working well however I plan on dropping a 396 in after making the modifications and would definitely want the stopping power of good quality disc breaks. If I kept my little 250 then drums are fine as long as I can keep them breaking evenly.