The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2003, 05:56 PM   #1
Primered_69

tips for greyhound shipping seats

I am going to attempt shipping on greyhound. Any suggestions on packaging? 40/20/40 bench seat
Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Smooth68

I shipped some inner fenders via greyhound - the only tip I have is to make sure the receiving party is around when the bus arrives - they just dumped the inner fenders on the curb and the buyer got lucky and found them before someone else did.

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:10 PM   #3
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Good tip. Nice to know Greyhound cares

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:53 PM   #4
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Smooth68
...they just dumped the inner fenders on the curb
What?!!! I've never heard anything like that EVER. I've had seats shipped to me, and I've shipped seats out. The biggest seat I shipped was a V.W. Bus rear seat with metal armrests and mounting brackets. Have the buyer pick-up from the terminal. It's cheaper to ship, and they keep the item safe and secure until the buyer comes to get it.

As far as packaging? I've never done more than wrap the seat in 2 foot wide shrink wrap. No hunting for boxes that are not needed etc. The seats arrive in the same shape as they left.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:51 PM   #5
ratrod67

I had a door shipped with them. It ended up with a broken window(was rolled down) and a nice dent. It was wrapped in about 5 layers of cardboard. They cut the wrapping open and according to the guy at the terminal they did it to see what was inside that was making all the noise(the glass pieces). They had a pretty crappy attitude about the whole thing. I wont use them EVER again.
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:10 PM   #6
BOSS
Just here to help

You guys are scareing me.....lol

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:33 PM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

If you can find it cheaply, wrap the seat in plastic and cardboard. Then use some cheap heavy(strong) twine to hold it together and also act as a handle. I took the bolts out of the back of the one I shipped so it wolud fold flatter (Was a 90 style bench). Guy that received it said nothing happened to it. Oh yeah...mine was around 100lbs packed, so it's nice to have help to carry it into the bus station.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:42 PM   #8
veltex

shipping

I cant say for seats, but have had good luck with some of the air frieght companies shipping large signs ( I collect old service station stuff), a couple years ago I had a 4' round porcelain sign shipped from Dallas to Boise, I think the shipping was about $60 and they delivered it to my porch. The criteria ,if I remember, is weight and will it fit thru the door of whichever type of plane its going on, check it out you never know.
veltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:11 AM   #9
Stroker

You might check with your local greyhound carrier to see if they have to inspect the contents before they accept it. Last item I shipped with them had to be unpackaged enough for them to verify the contents. If you have multiple layers of packing and lots of tape or binding this can be a real pain but I guess it's understandable since 911.

The bus terminal has some intersting employees to say the least. I was offered the following tip or bit of information by the shipping counter guy when I shipped a step fender last summer. The conversation went something like this:

"you got any pounds in there"

"no"

" I just want to let you know if your package is going south or east they'll check it in route"

"if your going north or west you'll be ok"

"you sure you aint got no pounds in there"

"no, but thanks for the info" "can I leave now, please"

Good luck....Stroker
Old 12-09-2003, 02:04 AM   #10
D-Money

I mentioned earlier that I recieved some '03 suburban 40/60 split leather seats from greyhound and they came in perfect condition! He cut the boxes so they followed the overall shape of the seats. Came in two separate boxes. When I saw the boxes with the seats they looked just like the outline of the seats. Wrapped in plastic with cardboard covering. I could tell he spent lots of time wrapping them. I second the comment on calling greyhound up and seeing if they check the boxes before shipping.

Good Luck!!!
Old 12-09-2003, 03:38 PM   #11
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i wouldnt ship with greyhound again
tommy davis sent me inner fenders via them and they lost the package too twoweeks longer and the pacakge was kinda messed up when it got there. and when i was intheir package room in Newark it appeared every box was damaged enough so someone could see what was in em. Never again!!

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 05:43 PM   #12
Woody

I got the seat that Palf70step shipped. He folded the bench seat flat by taking the bolts loose for the back. Covcered it in cardboard thaen wrapped it (like ribbon around a Christmas Present) with nylon rope/twine, a couple of times and knoted the crap out of it. It cgot to KY with out any damage and the rope served as a handle to pick it up by. Also kept the box cardboard together. I 'd say he spent 30-45 mins or longer doing this but it got here in ths same shape he shipped it so it was worth it.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #13
Vince M

I had a fender shipped via Greyhound with no problems from a fellow member. I mean no problems. No damage, no hassles, no complaints.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:50 AM   #14
gabet40

i just shipped a set of wheels from cali to KS via greyhound and he said that they arrived in fine shape. only issue was that the greyhound employees didnt all know their procedures when using COD.

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 05:36 AM   #15
chevyhouse
BEER-Vacation in a can...

Quote:
Originally posted by gabet40
i just shipped a set of wheels from cali to KS via greyhound and he said that they arrived in fine shape. only issue was that the greyhound employees didnt all know their procedures when using COD.
I didn't tell you this, but the agent here wanted me to pay in cash!!! No money order, no cashiers check.....cold hard cash!!! They wanted their cut instead of it going through corporate first.

I said "You have no right to tell me how to pay" (I wanted to put it on a credit card)

"we have the right to refuse service to anyone"

"oh really??? then send the damn things back, no cut for you."

"ugh, can't take credit card"

eventually I made him get out his directions out and it turns out the only way you can't pay is by credit card. I had to wait til monday, get a check and go back.

The COD policy says that only corporate entities with greyhound accounts are allowed to ship COD so what gabet and I did messed with their whole world.

Oh yeah, when they were loading them the monkey let a wheel fall off the cart-made a really nice sound, no damage though.
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

For Sale-87' V10-4x4, 408/700r4, 4.10's PM for pics
chevyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote