The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
dirtymax67

Trying rescue a 250

Hey guys I need some advice on how to get my engine going after sitting awhile. I've changed the plugs, coil, wires, new cap and button, fresh oil. I have taken the fuel line off going into the fuel pump and ran a new one into a gas can for now. After turning the engine over I'm not getting fuel to my carb. So I tired putting fuel in the carb to see if I could get any life out of it. when I put fuel in the carb it leaks out of the bottom of the carb. Just trying to figure out which direction I need to go from here. Thanks in advance

dirtymax67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
swamp rat

Re: Trying rescue a 250

Where and how did you put fuel in the carb? trying to understand what and why some would leak out of the bottom? do you mean it leaks out at the base gasket? Not sure what carb you have. Did you check for spark at the plugs? disconnect the fuel line coming out of the pump and see if it pumps gas when turned over.

Ok If you have spark but the fuel pump doesn't seem to pump gas and you just wanna see if it will fire then have someone turn the engine over and you get a bottle like a coke bottle to put a little gas in and as the engine is turning over trickle a little gas out of the bottle slowly! if you can get it to fire then you know you need a fuel pump and maybe some carb work

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
dirtymax67

I have the single barrel carb on the inline 6. It is leaking out of the bottom of the carb. Not at the manifold. Pouring the gas it in slowly is what I did. How do I check for spark? Tomorrow i am going to take the fuel lines going to the carb off and blow them out, then recheck to see ifmy pump is pumping. I am also going to replace the points and condenser out as well.

dirtymax67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
swamp rat

Pull a plug out of the engine (or take one off the shelf if you have one) reattach the plug wire and hold it against the engine and see if it sparks when turned over. I can usually find a place to rest the plug and see if it sparks when i hit the key, or i use a remote start button if i have too. sometimes it helps to dim the lights if your in a garage.

if you don't have spark you should recheck your firing order being as you changed out the wires cap and Button? ( I assume rotor)

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

When you clean your fuel lines,don't forget to take the line loose from the carb.Then take out the fitting that line screwed into.Inside should be a sintered brass filter.It will need to be cleaned.I have had bad fittings that would leak there and it looked like it was coming from the carb.You'll almost certainly have to rebuild the carb but I would try to get it running before.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote