The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2003, 07:04 AM   #1
M_R_Q

I need some shifter help.

So here is my story. I have a 71 GMC lwb fleetside with a 250 and 3 on the tree. When it gets cold the shifter refuses to go into 1st and reverse, unless you drive it around for 15-20 minutes. I still get 2nd and 3rd but it seems to freeze up so I cant pull it "up" to get it into the other gears. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Problem 2 is that I have very little mechanical knowledge, and I mean none. If it cant be fixed with wd40 or duct tape, it cant be fixed. I also have very little money, so Id like to be able to fix it myself.

Problem 3 (the big one). One day I was on my way somewhere and found that there was still a little bit of movement in the shifter and I thought I might be able to get it into first.... but I guess I pulled to hard and I snapped the shifter off inside the column. I pulled the pin out of the shifter handle and pulled it out, so I know its broken off just inside there, but I dont know how to go about getting in there to fix. Any help would be great.
51 ford pickup
73 ford ranger
M_R_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 09:12 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My first thought is to go to a floor shift, like the Hurst Indy shifter made or our trucks. I think they are around $70 from Summit. Noght and day difference. There are ways to get the old column shifts to work smooth again, I just don't remeber it all....plus I didn't like them myself.

As far as mechanical knowledge, now is a good time to learn...truck isn't moving anyways at this moment. You can pay to have some one fix the column shift, or get out there and get dirty. Not the best books, but get a Haynes or some sort of repair manual. To me the more pictures the better. Going to the floor shift means cutting a hole in the floor. A dremel tool makes it nicer, but you use other things. Measure a lot before you cut. go in small chunkcs.

If you don't feel comfortable working on them and don't want to try....then pay someone. That is sort of the way it is. In my youth I was broke and had to bubble gum and bailing wire and learn best I could to keep my wheels running. I am still a very amateur mechanic and certain things I will try, certain things I just grab the checkbook.

Oh yeah as far as the end of shift breaking off inside...You can try some needle nose to pull it out, but if you go to floor shift Don't worry about it...Itis inclosed in there so unless it busted the entire housing, I don't think anything will drop into the column.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

The best first investment you can make in your truck is a assembly manual and gojo hand cleaner. GOOD LUCK

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:50 PM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Before I swapped out my 3 speed on the column shift tranny I also was running into similar troubles, especially when it was very cold out. Never did get it fixed.

In regards to the difficult shifting into first and getting bound up, here is what I learned to do to fix the problem:

To adjust the three speed linkage you will need some sort of alignment rod, I used a nail cut to the right length. I also used a long board to keep the clutch pedal pressed in while doing the adjustments. The linkage adjustment is made under the hood on the steering column shaft. What you want to do is loosen up the nuts that tighten the guides on the shifting linkage. Get the tranny into neutral, which will have the two guides in line with each other. The guides have a small hole in them and there is also a raised notch on top of the steering column. Lay the nail on the notch and then move the guides until the nail slides through each guide. Then what I did was moved the linkage rods up and down to see how they cycle through the gears and then get back into neutral. Then I tightened the nuts so the guide is secure. Remove the alignment rod, ie the nail, and then cycle the tranny with the shift column in the cab. I had to do a little fine tuning to get the linkage right but it took all of 10 minutes once I figured out what I was doing.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:20 PM   #5
M_R_Q

Switching to a floor shift is out of the question, since the only thing that makes the truck unique is the fact that its all stock and in exellent shape (minus the broken shifter handle). If I went to a floor shift, I might as well switch to a 350 and an automatic.

If someone can tell me how to get the steering wheel off, I asume I can just figure out the rest, and if not, I might be able to get my more mechanicly inclined father to help. I just dont want to break any of the original parts, or turn this into a project truck. I just need a dependable all-season driver. If it turns out to be more work than I can handle, I guess I can just drive it to a garage and hope no one needs to back it up. As for everything freezing up in cold weather. Ill try hosing everything down with wd40 and see if that loosens it up. If that doesn't work, Then I guess I take it to the garage and wont buy anyone christmas presents.
51 ford pickup
73 ford ranger
Old 12-10-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

No problem....
Pop off the horn button (after you disconnect the battery)

Loosen large nut

If you don't have wheel puller, you can normally get them from autozone on a loner...use the wheel puller to loosen the wheel...It may be tough...it's been on there a long time.

Once the wheel is loose back off the wheel puller enough so you can remoive the large nut you loosed early. Once nut is off you can see in the colomn. Some one posted a picture showing the parts breakdown of the steering column, you can do a search for it and it may show you how much you need to do.

Those manula column linkages always gave me heck and never quite mastered them.

I heard someone once say they took them out, welded in the holes, then drilled new ones, put in some brass bushings and it helped tighen every thing up.

I still have all the linkages from mine in case I ever decide to use them on this or another truck. I am told that is the only way you can find them as they are not reproduced.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 12:43 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Before pulling the wheel and all,try using a magnetic pickup tool to pull the broken stub of your shifter out.After you get it out and a new one in, adjust as above,then flush it clean with WD40.Use a lube of some type(I usually use lithium grease).Remember to clean and relube ocassionally as the grease will capture some dirt.
Also check to see if the bushings on the shifter rods(where it fits thru the shifter arms).If they are broken or missing they will cause some binding.
Hopefully someone will post a better solution for lubing the assembly than I know of.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:13 AM   #8
cableguy0

well your first problem is using the wd-40 stay away from it it will cause rust get some pb blaster its a catalyst works much better and actually eats rust quickly. get yourself some never cease it will be in a can with a brush and will either be gold or silver in color its great for keeping things moving free because it stays where you put it. now for the column as the other guys said. use a magnet to pull out the old piece. im sure once u get it out somewhere here can hook you up a shifter to replace it with. do the proper adjustment to the shifter and coat all the joints with never cease and you shouldnt have any more problems
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 01:28 AM   #9
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

from one dweller of the land of ice & snow to another, I had the same problem. see this link:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=73233

when i pulled the shifter out, I couldnt find the little end piece that had broken off!? It was not there so I assume it fell into a nether region inside the column. I found a StratoChief in the boneyard that had a different plastic end on the handle, but it worked a-ok. Prior to installation, I hosed tri-flo (found in a bike or gun shop) in the shifter hole & now it shifts great (even in todays [Dec 10/03] -30C weather!) triflo has teflon in it & I also think that it combined & "woke up" the old grease inside the 3-on-the-tree column. I bought two 3sp manual shifter handles that day-the other off a Biscayne. It too isnt the same as factory but would also work. Want it? I'll send it to ya for the price of the shipping.

-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:52 AM   #10
M_R_Q

Thanks all! One day when its not -30 (land of ice and snow is right) Ill try some of this advise out.

Thanks for the offer passthebuck, but Ill check around with in my area for one first. I know a guy that works on this kind of truck that might have one.

There is another problem I have, but I dont think you guys can help. It would seem that faded med olive green paint doesnt impress the ladies. Any ideas? It doesnt wow the guys either so plan B is also a no-go.

As anoying as they are, three on the trees kick ass. I love the confused look people give me when they see it. Kids these days dont know anything! If it isnt loud or japanese, they hate it.

Oh, and cableguy, no one will ever be able to convince me that wd40 is not the answer. I was raised on it and have seen it do some very magical things.
51 ford pickup
73 ford ranger