The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
cableguy0

Manual brakes

I have a truck that wont leave me alone at work. I have basically redone the entire brake system. Its an old beat up turd. Anyhow the brake pedal rod keeps falling out of its seat which makes it push the master cylinder and keep the brakes applied. Does anyone have a picture to make sure im not missing something at the back of the master cylinder? The only thing there currently is the rod sitting in the back of master cylinder. Is there something supposed to hold the rod in place? It seems to fall out randomly. Thanks in advance. Btw the truck is an 85 c10 with manual brakes
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Manual brakes

The rod should stay in place with the master cylinder removed. May be missing the plastic retainer
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
cableguy0

Any pictures or an idea where to get it from?
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
INSIDIOUS '86

Not a clue where but a power conversion won't be hard. And may be a good solution to your problem.
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
cableguy0

This truck isn't worth replacing brake pads on. Damn sure not getting involved in converting to power. At this point its not more than a thorn in my side. I just need to see a known complete stock manual brake setup under the dash.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Oldriginal86

The brake pedal travel "up" should be limited by the brake light switch. Since the truck is only used in a yard, is it possible the stop has been removed and the pedal comes up too far allowing the rod to fall out of the MC.
Oldriginal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
cableguy0

The stop was bent. I straightened it. and welded in a piece of rod. You cannot pull the pedal back and get it to fall out. Thats the confusing part. I think the guy driving is kinda letting his foot slide off the side of the pedal and its springing back quicker than the master cylinder can return.Im tired of seeing this damn truck. It has been a nuiscance. I supposed there should be a boot or something there but everything was already missing when I got the truck into my hands.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
cableguy0

Anybody??
Old 10-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
aotte1

I have a manual brake 1986, C10, will look tomorrow and see if I can see anything to help you out, maybe a I-phone pic if it works.

Les
aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
aotte1

Looked at my brake rod and took picture. Not sure I have a definit answer for you. It looks like their is only a rod. Also, looked in the service manual and diagram showed rod only going into boot of master cylinder. The boot you can see in picture is part of the master cylinder.

Conclusion: Looks like only rod into master cylinder. Possibly rod or master cylinder has changed causing rod to fall out???????????
Attached Images

aotte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
esbstuff

Wrong master cyl?
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
cableguy0

Thank you aotte1 thats exactly what I needed to see. Somewhere along the line that boot must have gotten thrown away. Now to find the boot.