The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
lha1992

recommendations for V8 radiator in 65 c10 or recore in WA state

Hi everyone, I just recently bought a 65 chevy c10 BBW LWB with the original 283 an power glide. Bought it knowing the radiator had a leak which caused the motor to overheat an crack a head so I'm swapping in a 350 a buddy of mine (who's a member here) friend is selling but I want to find a new radia for it.

Whats ya'lls recommendations? I'm in Everett, Wa an dont know of any radiator recore places unles someone local does. But I found this place has an aluminum radiator for $200 http://www.speedcooling.com/Radiator...r/prod_38.html

Anybody try their stuff? How about buying a stock replacement from somewhere?

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
lowlife4life

Re: recommendations for V8 radiator in 65 c10 or recore in WA state

Check the classified right here I'm pretty sure I saw one recent To bad your far away I have one I won't be using
lowlife4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Sharps40
Account Suspended

This is what I run in my 64 adn 65 (283 V8 and adapted for 250 I6)

Its brass, three core with trans cooler. Works great, had it in for two years now, no problems, no overheating.

Order it on line, use code P20 and get 20% off and free shipping.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=radiator
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
CMFT

Sharps, was that a direct fit in your 64? Did the factory mounts need to be modified?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

It was as near a direct fit in the v8 1964 as can be expected. And it was a darn easy upgrade to the 1965 I6.

In the 64 I replaced the original leaking V8 radiator with this one. The orignal V8 Radiator had no trans cooler. So, when I installed this new one (it comes with trans cooler) I made a small notch in the drivers side lower V8radiator bracket to allow wrench room. (1 minute with grinder) From there I reused the original v8 fan shroud and air dams with no modifications. I reused the v8 upper mount and rubber with no modification.

Then an unlicensed invader drove his honda under my 64....so I transfered this large v8 radiator to my 1965 chevy c10 to cool the lil 250 I6. Useing the parts from the 64 v8 and new hoses it fit like a glove and really keeps that lil I6 running steady at 180 no matter what.

I have install threads for both trucks if someone wants to see em.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
1966burb

I am new to Snohomish county also. I asked many hot rod guys and came up with Stan's Rad in Lake Stevens. They boiled out my rad and also my gas tank. Did a great job.
1966burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
dean jendro
Old and crusty

I bought a new radiator for my 65 from Performance Radiator in Seattle. They also have a store in Everett. I run a 350 and it had an old rusty 2 core. Mine is now a three core and runs nice and cool with no leaks.

64 Chevy Short Step LS
dean jendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
lha1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife4life View Post
Check the classified right here I'm pretty sure I saw one recent To bad your far away I have one I won't be using
I did check the 60-66 parts section but nothing available. Only I6 radiators. Really you do? That sucks you aren't closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
This is what I run in my 64 adn 65 (283 V8 and adapted for 250 I6)

Its brass, three core with trans cooler. Works great, had it in for two years now, no problems, no overheating.

Order it on line, use code P20 and get 20% off and free shipping.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...hTerm=radiator
I did check that one out an it looks good! Just the bad part is that in this part of the country theirs no advance auto parts like back east. I miss advance being that's where I shopped back in Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966burb View Post
I am new to Snohomish county also. I asked many hot rod guys and came up with Stan's Rad in Lake Stevens. They boiled out my rad and also my gas tank. Did a great job.
I just got the number to Stans rad in lake Stevens an talked to him an he told me between $27.50 an a $100 for a repair. Might try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean jendro View Post
I bought a new radiator for my 65 from Performance Radiator in Seattle. They also have a store in Everett. I run a 350 and it had an old rusty 2 core. Mine is now a three core and runs nice and cool with no leaks.
How much was your radiator from performance?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Go on line to advance. Mail can go anywhere.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Dillon Rock

Iha1992, good to see someone esle from the Everett area in WA. I have a '64 C-20 that I busted a tube while taking out the ORIGINAL theermostat and ended up puttin a pinsized hole in the tube. I price quoted a fella out of Lake Stevens area and he said to recore, it's way too much, like 400-500 dollars, plus the warranty, and I had a 3-core for a V-8 that cost me 220 bucks. Guys shops called Stans Radiator. should be able to find it on Google, and call ahead first so that way he can get what you need ordered and he'll call ya when your stuff gets in. I personnaly recommend swap out cause it's cheaper on the wallet and you start from scratch instead of worrying about something that didn't get finished with a re-cored radiator.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
KJSR

Quote:
I did check that one out an it looks good! Just the bad part is that in this part of the country theirs no advance auto parts like back east. I miss advance being that's where I shopped back in Mississippi.
Did you miss the free shipping part??
1965 Chevrolet K10 Suburban
1969 Chevrolet C10
1937 Plymouth P4
KJSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #12
lha1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Go on line to advance. Mail can go anywhere.
True I kno I can mail it in but if something were to happen to the radiator an I need warranty stuff I gotta mail it in to get a replacement. Not just hop by my local store but ill deff consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Rock View Post
Iha1992, good to see someone esle from the Everett area in WA. I have a '64 C-20 that I busted a tube while taking out the ORIGINAL theermostat and ended up puttin a pinsized hole in the tube. I price quoted a fella out of Lake Stevens area and he said to recore, it's way too much, like 400-500 dollars, plus the warranty, and I had a 3-core for a V-8 that cost me 220 bucks. Guys shops called Stans Radiator. should be able to find it on Google, and call ahead first so that way he can get what you need ordered and he'll call ya when your stuff gets in. I personnaly recommend swap out cause it's cheaper on the wallet and you start from scratch instead of worrying about something that didn't get finished with a re-cored radiator.
Hi neighbor!!! Nice to see another member in the area especially in Everett!!! Oh wow the original thermostat?? That has to be something I bet getting that out... You went to stans radiator also? He said a repair could be around $27 to $100 but idk about recores. He just said bring it in to him. The trucks not drivable because I dumped the oil an theirs soooo much soup of water an oil in the crankcase I'm swapping over to a 350 from ths 283. Only thing is I live in an apartment now an have no where to do the swap an I'm trying to figure that out now as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSR View Post
Did you miss the free shipping part??
Yea I saw that I'm just checking some local placez before I make a decision.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #13
overtimeracing

I've bought a few from Champion Radiator. They don't seem to stock pile the 2 row radiators anymore, so you have to call for availability.

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...ator-1963-1966
Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #14
Dillon Rock

Yeah, I called him about a year ago this time and that was the quote he gave me, but I could be wrong, Being on a long deployment screws up your past accounts for small things like that , lol. Original thermostat is different from what we see today in most cars and modern I6's and CarQuest has an adaptor for them, like under 20 bucks you can get off of Main and Braodway behind Jack in a Box. The guys that work there know me so If you ever go there, mention Dillon Rock and the guy who owns the green stepside Chevy and Tim Kranson will know exactly who I am,
Old 10-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
lha1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtimeracing View Post
I've bought a few from Champion Radiator. They don't seem to stock pile the 2 row radiators anymore, so you have to call for availability.

http://www.championradiators.com/Che...ator-1963-1966
I was searching the forum an read about champion an didn't hear too many bad things about them at all. Aren't the v8 radiators 3core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon Rock View Post
Yeah, I called him about a year ago this time and that was the quote he gave me, but I could be wrong, Being on a long deployment screws up your past accounts for small things like that , lol. Original thermostat is different from what we see today in most cars and modern I6's and CarQuest has an adaptor for them, like under 20 bucks you can get off of Main and Braodway behind Jack in a Box. The guys that work there know me so If you ever go there, mention Dillon Rock and the guy who owns the green stepside Chevy and Tim Kranson will know exactly who I am,
Ohhhh I see I see haha yes I understand you can tend to forget past stuff with being on deployment so long lol. Man I've seem that CarQuest over there! Right by the Safeway right? Hahaha I will mention your name bro when I go in there some time:-P

They get to know you when you go into the store a lot for parts lol.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
Sharps40
Account Suspended

[QUOTE=lha1992;6337736]True I kno I can mail it in but if something were to happen to the radiator an I need warranty stuff I gotta mail it in to get a replacement. Not just hop by my local store but ill deff consider it.

Then ya just call corperate and mail it back. Sounds like ya want to find one local....if there is a champ local might as well get it otherwise ya sill gotta mail order something. The Champs seem to be pretty good but they are so homley....Broken Bloody Bone in the Leg on a Dead Dog with a Bald Butt ugly!

Last edited by Sharps40; 10-29-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #17
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Oh yeah, I forgot....oreillies sells em too...so

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...yword=radiator

And heres one from autozone.....don't know if its the same.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

Prolly can get any local parts house to order one for ya if ya just take em the printouts or query to see what they have.

NAPA prolly has em.......and they are highly likely to be local.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
dean jendro
Old and crusty

How much was your radiator from performance?[/QUOTE]

Don't remember exactly, around $200.

64 Chevy Short Step LS
dean jendro is offline   Reply With Quote