The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
primetime

price of powdercoating

I'm looking into having my swb frame powder coated. what is the going rate for this? I don't want to go in looking like a complete noob and get overpriced, some places just can't be trusted you know. my frame is all the way down to just the frame no rear end and no control arms. I want to hear you guys prices before I start calling up these Carolina establishments.
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
JointTech

Re: price of powdercoating

i brought a trailer to be blasted and powdercoated. he wanted 2k for it. Its a trailer big enough to carry a car. (it hauls a bobcat most of the time)

he had originally quoted $750 and changed his mind when he saw it was a bigger trailor than he was thinking of.

not much help but maybe it gives you a clue.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Lee H

May not be much help being I'm in So-Cal but.....last year I had my SWB frame, trailing arms, core support (including brackets and braces), pedals, tubular motor mounts, spring cups, license plate bracket, head light buckets, spare tire mount, bumper brackets, hood latch, tire irons, etc, just about anything that was supposed to be black, 47 pieces in all. $1,100 and change including sand blasting.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
MSHax

There was a guy I met at a little import show in Fremont, Ca. This guy told me was well established, and from some place just outside of Reno, NV. I got his card because his prices were outstanding, I wish I knew what his company was called because he was talking about $350-400 for a full frame, and only like $50-100 per wheel depending on size. I lost his flyer and haven't been able to track him down since. If anyone knows who these people are, please let me know. My powdercoating oven can barely fit my door sills, there's no way I'm getting a frame, or a set of 24s in there
Old 10-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
I'm looking into having my swb frame powder coated. what is the going rate for this? I don't want to go in looking like a complete noob and get overpriced, some places just can't be trusted you know. my frame is all the way down to just the frame no rear end and no control arms. I want to hear you guys prices before I start calling up these Carolina establishments.
My SWB frame, Differential housing and rear trailing arms were $325.00.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Graham57a

Primetime not sure how far you're willing to drive but there's a guy in Mooresville, NC (exit 36 off 77) that I highly recommend. A1 Powdercoating, ran by a local guy named Jay. He does great work, takes pride in his work and will redo it if it isn't to his liking, has two huge blasting booths and will blast everything before he shoots it. He didn't do my frame but he's done a bunch of my other parts and always quoted really low prices. I'd be willing to bet he'd quote around 500 depending on what kinda day you catch him on. I paid 980 to have my frame, control arms, core support, and inner fenders done but that was a different shop and they were definitely over priced. Hope this helps, also if you call up Jay tell him Andrew sent you, he may be willing to hook you up a little extra

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
67ctener

Sandblast and powdercoat cost me about 600. Look for a small shop. The guy I use is owner ran and operated charges much less and takes pride in his company and work. As reference I had a other company powdercoat my rear end housing and was charged 200. My guy I use now did frame, control arms, cross member etc... For 450
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
Primetime not sure how far you're willing to drive but there's a guy in Mooresville, NC (exit 36 off 77) that I highly recommend. A1 Powdercoating, ran by a local guy named Jay. He does great work, takes pride in his work and will redo it if it isn't to his liking, has two huge blasting booths and will blast everything before he shoots it. He didn't do my frame but he's done a bunch of my other parts and always quoted really low prices. I'd be willing to bet he'd quote around 500 depending on what kinda day you catch him on. I paid 980 to have my frame, control arms, core support, and inner fenders done but that was a different shop and they were definitely over priced. Hope this helps, also if you call up Jay tell him Andrew sent you, he may be willing to hook you up a little extra
Thanks for the tip- I just sent them an email to get a price for doing a set of rally wheels. If the price is right, I'd rather get them powdercoated instead of painted.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
mjjjracing

Just had my 72 shortbed 4x4 frame and all cross members powdercoated for $400.00 . I started to clean up my axles and decided to powdercoat them and she said $100.00 each . How do you stop this madness!! is it a treatable disease ???
mjjjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjjracing View Post
Just had my 72 shortbed 4x4 frame and all cross members powdercoated for $400.00 . I started to clean up my axles and decided to powdercoat them and she said $100.00 each . How do you stop this madness!! is it a treatable disease ???
That is exactly why when I did my lowering springs and shocks the other weekend I didn't take ANYTHING else apart. Where do you draw the line? You're always one nut and bolt away from a total frame off restoration with these damn trucks!

Old 10-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
Primetime not sure how far you're willing to drive but there's a guy in Mooresville, NC (exit 36 off 77) that I highly recommend. A1 Powdercoating, ran by a local guy named Jay.
Jay said $60 a wheel for the rallys.

I'm getting my wife to price sandblast and paint from the bodyshop her dealership uses too. I know powdercoating is a superior finish but don't know how long I'm going to run these wheels so paint might be a good choice.....

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
primetime

Thanks guys. I will start my calls soon
1977 Chevy nova (first car/ first love)
primetime is offline   Reply With Quote