The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #26
donut

Re: Anyone ever think about the 4.2 liter inline 6 vortec swap?

Know the feeling. WIFE, WIFE, WIFE... That's how we ended up with our '03 TB.

I do drive it daily, for the most part the engine has been solid. Just maint. items. Knock on wood, I haven't had to do the thermostat. (though the day is still young. ) 130k miles on it.

IMO, it is what it is. Straight 6, don't think I've ever owned one that got better economy or power than the 8's. However, the look on peoples face when I say it has an L-6, then show them... Most folks think the L-6 died in the '70's.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
D13

Guys over on inliners are pulling 300+hp out of them wiith little work. 600hp with turbos, tuneable just like the LS motors. Not big on low end grunt without the turbo. later ones are higher HP and much more dependable. The big stopper for me was that they won't bolt to stadard trans patters, although there is an adaptor bell housing being cast. Also there is an aftermarket rear sump oil pan available.

An interesting late model replacement for an old 250, possibly. pretty dare t o be different in a truck. I also looked at the TB frame swap but the wheel base was just a hair off - and the TB frame is not easy to modify.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
i'm not saying there the worst or best out there either. myself, i dont buy new vehicles. WIFE,WIFE,WIFE, she liked, she wanted it-you know the saying, happy wife, blah, blah...
all's i,m saying is it has been trouble free for us (thank christ!), if she still has it when it ever hits 200k, i'll let you know how it was.
i myself like old school v8's, cubic inches, gas guzzling dam the mpg's
and her envoy xuv doesn't weigh 5000lbs, according to the paperwork we got with it, it weighs 5208 lbs.
the xuv has a sliding roof, power midgate window, the midgate, power 2 way tailgate, all those electric motors & assorted crap make them heavier than an ext.
do you have the one thats like the avalanche my bad i thought you just had the ext. those things are heavy. idk those came in a 6 even.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #29
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
Guys over on inliners are pulling 300+hp out of them wiith little work. 600hp with turbos, tuneable just like the LS motors. Not big on low end grunt without the turbo. later ones are higher HP and much more dependable. The big stopper for me was that they won't bolt to stadard trans patters, although there is an adaptor bell housing being cast. Also there is an aftermarket rear sump oil pan available.

An interesting late model replacement for an old 250, possibly. pretty dare t o be different in a truck. I also looked at the TB frame swap but the wheel base was just a hair off - and the TB frame is not easy to modify.
i just cant see being different for a less potent motor at more cost.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #30
dieseldawg142

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
do you have the one thats like the avalanche my bad i thought you just had the ext. those things are heavy. idk those came in a 6 even.
yeah, like the avalanche, but it's a power midgate, av. is manual.
probably a good reason it's soft on the bottom end. (and GM calls it a midsize?!)
it IS the ultimate dog hauler though, no hair or smell in the truck, & when they tick me off, i wait till it's raining, then open the roof.

seems like the concensus here is that the four-two is a good enough engine for the wife's, while we still play with v8's
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote